We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The ups, the downs and the insides out of growing your own in 2024!

Options

Comments

• nmaria
    nmaria Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee! First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alicef said:
    @nmaria - I love your grapes and I'm very impressed that you get a crop outdoors!  We have some vines in the polytunnel and my OH makes wine every year, (though I understand he does mix our grapes in with a 'kit').

I have been rather lazy and now am a bit guilt-ridden as I've only started pruning and I have stuffed a bin once again over my poor rhubarb.
    I have never tried to make wine.
    we get around 150 bunches every year and eat them from beginning of October till the frost kicks in. 
    £ 2012 in 2012

£335.67/ £ 2012
  • alicef
    alicef Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    nmaria said:

I have never tried to make wine.
    we get around 150 bunches every year and eat them from beginning of October till the frost kicks in. 
    Is your grape a seedless variety?  We have a generic purple skin muscat grape and 2 green skin grapes, (can't remember the cultivars), but they aren't seedless and whilst the green skin grapes taste very nice I don't like the pips. Though it's got me thinking, and having had a google there are seedless cultivars - might be able to squeeze another grape into the tunnel!   
    Fashion on the Ration 2024  21/66   
  • alicef
    alicef Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    My garlic in pots have thrown up shoots.  I have potted up the broad beans that showed signs of an emerging tap root, (some of my seed is a bit long in the tooth - so I like to pre-germinate on damp paper towel before allocating my precious store of toilet roll inners to planting up).  I have emptied a couple of packets of sweet pea seed onto damp paper towel.   I tidied the potting shed and cleaned another propagator.

Other than that it is pruning ... and more pruning.
    Fashion on the Ration 2024  21/66   
  • ladybird1106
    ladybird1106 Posts: 326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Didn't manage a trip to the plot as the weather was naff. Opened up the kitchen table, spread old dog towels over it and set to sowing. Chillies, peppers, basil, aubergine and onions done. Propagaters on for those that need it. Hopefully in 2 weeks I can move them on ready for the tomatoes. 
    Love 🐞
  • ladybird1106
    ladybird1106 Posts: 326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Windy day but at least it was dry. Managed to get last asparagus bed cleared of weeds. Harvested psb, kale, brussel sprouts, leeks, celeriac and parsnip for tea😋.
    Love 🐞
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 4,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My onions have germinated 😊🌱

KK
    As at 15.05.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £252,383, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £6,480, Interest saved £2,415, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 20 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 27th May)
    Produce tracker: £34.02 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 February at 2:53PM
    Options
    Popped to the nursery today before messy play (glad we didn't go after... what a disaster XD) and picked up some seed potatoes, some shallots, onion sets and peas to try. I also grabbed some more compost so I can get the beds prepared with the cardboard I've acquired too. 

As a vegetarian, I should like a lot more vegetables but I actually can't stand beans, peas, sweetcorn or many other 'easy growers' (though I do love tomatoes, courgette and cucumbers). As my LO is going to be eating more and more though I want to have fresh veggies from the garden for him. He loves being outside in nature so I think as he gets older he'll start to enjoy seeing the fruits of the labour too. 

I'm thinking something like this - 

In the greenhouse: 
    Tomatoes x 4 in pots this year (to refresh the compost) 
    2 x cucumbers (one salad, one mini) and an aubergine in the old tomato bed in the greenhouse
    Potatoes x 3 in sacks in the green house (?) 
    Cape gooseberries x 2 in pots in the greenhouse
    Shallots and onions in next to the existing garlic in the outside bed
    Courgette x 2 next to the shallots/onions/garlic
    Peas and beans with companion plants underneath in extension of the veg bed
    Lettuce mix in pots sequentially in greenhouse
    My one strawberry plant will remain in it's pot (or maybe get an upgrade)

Not going to bother with peppers, chili peppers, squash or pumpkins this year. I never have much luck with herbs either much to my sadness. I might try basil and lavender in pots again though. 

£2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello All
    Took a bit of a step away form the computer and social media for a bit of self care/mental health check but I am sat here itching to get planting but the weather here in South Wales is very temperamental at the minute. 

My greenhouse si still collapsed. The frame is there and reinforced with tape on the joins and a pallet base but I havent put the cover back on yet because I bet as soon as I do we will get another storm roll in and it will all get ripped so I am trying to figure out when to do it. 

I did have a nice delivery today though of some flower bulbs that it says to put in the ground Feb - march so I will get a load of those in before long in some no dig small beds around the garden in the hopes to encourage some more pollinators to my garden. 

Also my mini gala apple tree arrived and is just settling herself before I re-pot her into a bigger tub. 

Also have a box full of seeds as part of a grow along method on IG that I'm hoping to follow. Already looking at ways to store harvests in the future. 

Also thank you @DD265 I managed to get some potatoes. I went for Charlotte, Maris piper and duke of York and got them from the budget seeds site along with a load of sweet pea seeds as well so I'm just waiting on them arriving now. 

Also had some little propagator pots turn up so I will be planting my chilli's and peppers this week to start on the kitchen windowsill. 

Roll on warmer temps when I can get out and tackle the garden. I do need to fence off my veg growing area though because I found out last year that my dogs quite like peas, courgettes and strawberries! 

Also my MIL gave me 6 large recycling boxes and 4 small trough planters to use as growing containers so I have a nice amount of growing space this year already! 

Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family