We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
I imagine I'd have been panicked had I seen in the papers that there were restrictions on knitted goods! Interesting that it doesn't mention woven fabrics, unless they were further down the page.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
I am not certain, but I *think* the public announcement was made and at the same time shops were prohibited from selling existing stock without coupons, if that makes sense? So there would have been a degree of planning, kept completely private from the public/media, and then it was announced as a fait accompli- the wording in the newspaper cuttings corroborates that- paraphrasing, "the classes of goods covered by the Order made yesterday, are..." - so the legal Order was imposed the day before the announcement.
Thankyou for mentioning Allingham's Oaken Heart- I have been meaning to get a copy of this!2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);6 -
Ooh thanks for the reminder about Margery Allingham's autobiography. It's on Kindle Unlimited so I've just downloaded it. I knew about the Board of Trade planning to use the margarine coupons so that the plan to introduce clothes rationing didn't leak. They knew the better off would descend like ravening hordes leaving nothing for the less well off. Clothes prices were going through the roof as it was and causing hardship. That's also why they announced it on the Sunday of a Bank Holiday weekend so that the shops would be closed on Monday (no extended opening hours then!) and the shopkeepers would have two days to get set upIt doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!8
-
(Avoiding political debate, as instructed by that nice Mr Lewis)
I took my democratic right out for some exercise this morning
And I hope those of you who can exercise yours, do so, no matter in what direction you go...
One of many rights which we have because of the efforts, courage, determination and bravery of those who lived in 1942, amongst other years.2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);9 -
Agreed, @Laura_Elsewhere. That’s the reason why they initially used margarine coupons, to keep everyone in the dark.Laura_Elsewhere said:I am not certain, but I *think* the public announcement was made and at the same time shops were prohibited from selling existing stock without coupons, if that makes sense? So there would have been a degree of planning, kept completely private from the public/media, and then it was announced as a fait accompli- the wording in the newspaper cuttings corroborates that- paraphrasing, "the classes of goods covered by the Order made yesterday, are..." - so the legal Order was imposed the day before the announcement.
On a different subject: who has been watching Sewing Bee? Do not read the rest of my post if you haven’t caught watched the latest episode.
I’ve just watched last night’s episode. Only one thing to say - SPOILER ALERT!!!! - how on earth has Susie survived so far? She stumbles through the first two challenges each week then, somehow, pulls a reasonable garment out of the bag for the Made-to-Measure Challenge. (Maybe it’s my personal biase. I must admit that I don’t like her style, at all, and she really irritates me.)
- Pip
PS: Today, I will mostly be wearing my ancient Levi 501’s, a white M&S t-shirt that is at least 10 years old, 2 year old black trainers and my new tweed jacket. (This evening, I’m meeting an American friend from my Motley Fool days, in Central London. She’s over on holiday.)"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag6 -
Laura_Elsewhere said:(Avoiding political debate, as instructed by that nice Mr Lewis)
I took my democratic right out for some exercise this morning
And I hope those of you who can exercise yours, do so, no matter in what direction you go...
One of many rights which we have because of the efforts, courage, determination and bravery of those who lived in 1942, amongst other years.I will be heading out shortly to do the same.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag6 -
Today I am wearing that recently-bought striped linen-viscose dress from Sainsbury's, sandals that are from... er.... 2017? I think... and a narrow red gingham hair-ribbon from 2015
And when I went out to exercise the d.r. I also wore a bright red short-sleeved mohair cardigan, knitted in 2018 from yarn unravelled from a finished-but-never-worn jumper knitted in the 1980s by one of the most unpleasant women at the sewing group I used to go to- I enjoy having transformed her horrible shapeless thing into a lovely cheerful little fitted cardigan with puffed shoulders and short sleeves
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);7 -
Most certainly going to vote today, though it would be good to have a box to mark for, “None of the above.”
Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.548 -
In practical terms, you do have that option- spoil your ballot paper and put it in the box- spoiled papers are all counted and the number recorded along with the numbers for each candidate, so if you spoil your paper (by marking it in any way other than a correct vote) then it is recorded as someone who *used their vote* but not to vote for any candidate.Nelliegrace said:Most certainly going to vote today, though it would be good to have a box to mark for, “None of the above.”2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);8 -
We apparently have Screaming Lord Such and Lord Binface amongst others. Spoilt for choice.
Is anyone else now itching to know how Laura managed to get the lovely red mohair off the unlovely woman? Not that I'm the village gossip or anything... and I remember those mohair jumpers from the 1980s. I was so proud of making one and still have it, but I took a sleeve off to remake and now have to reunite all the parts.
Edited to add: it wasn't Screaming Lord Sutch - can't have been. DH tells me he is no longer with us.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/228
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
