We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
https://archive.org/details/montgomerywardcatalogfallwinter1941/mode/2up
Grandma Donna has put this link in her blog about 1940s clothes in America.
The choice is wonderful. Look at all of the buttons on the coats, when we are limiter to five at most.
The corsets look frightening, like upholstering furniture.
The Utility Clothing Scheme designers did try.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9YEmL63LPE8
Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.545 -
Goodness, how different American clothes were!Nelliegrace said:https://archive.org/details/montgomerywardcatalogfallwinter1941/mode/2up
Grandma Donna has put this link in her blog about 1940s clothes in America.
The choice is wonderful. Look at all of the buttons on the coats, when we are limiter to five at most.
The corsets look frightening, like upholstering furniture.
The Utility Clothing Scheme designers did try.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9YEmL63LPE82025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);3 -
American catalogues were amazing, in the way that I remember Argos was, when they first opened in the UK. Except you couldn’t also equip your own farm from the Argos book!Nelliegrace said:https://archive.org/details/montgomerywardcatalogfallwinter1941/mode/2up
Grandma Donna has put this link in her blog about 1940s clothes in America.
The choice is wonderful. Look at all of the buttons on the coats, when we are limiter to five at most.
The corsets look frightening, like upholstering furniture.
The Utility Clothing Scheme designers did try.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9YEmL63LPE8
Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/894 -
Those clothes look so glamorous and feminine, don't they? Hollywood stars probably were admired for what they wore as well as their acting and singing skills!Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/764 -
Oh they were- if you read journals and diaries from the 1930s-40s, they quite often mention going to the pictures, and being wowed by the clothes, the hair (Veronica Lake!) and very very often mentioned: the hats...!CapricornLass said:Those clothes look so glamorous and feminine, don't they? Hollywood stars probably were admired for what they wore as well as their acting and singing skills!2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);5 -
Someone - I think perhaps my Mum - told me that hair was more important in the UK due to clothes rationing. I found the Pathe factory film fascinating: I wanted to have a go at working one of those cutting machines!Laura_Elsewhere said:
Oh they were- if you read journals and diaries from the 1930s-40s, they quite often mention going to the pictures, and being wowed by the clothes, the hair (Veronica Lake!) and very very often mentioned: the hats...!CapricornLass said:Those clothes look so glamorous and feminine, don't they? Hollywood stars probably were admired for what they wore as well as their acting and singing skills!I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/223 -
Thanks Nelliegrace - lovely clothes. Just wish I had the figure to carry them off 😉
Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. ⭐️2026 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £373.16
Jan £5.00 Feb £12.75 Mch £23.25 Apr £32.00 May £42.16 Jun £49.95 July £61.50 Aug £71.00 Sep £75.55 Oct £ Nov £ Dec £ Grand Total £3 -
You and me both!Mrs_Salad_Dodger said:Thanks Nelliegrace - lovely clothes. Just wish I had the figure to carry them off 😉Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/765 -
Two spends to declare:
1 x t-shirt that I got for less than half price (4)
1 x summer top that was around 40% off (5)
47/66 coupons used.I need to save my remaining coupons for some new jeans. Need to start monitoring discounts / looking in cs.Today, I have been wearing jeans - nearly two years old. A black vest top - around 16 years old. A black cardigan - probably around 8 years old.On the election day, I was a Presiding Officer at a Polling Station. I was very lucky as it was in the conservatory of a very nice pub. We all do a postal vote. People died so that we could vote so I always make sure that I exercise my right.Whilst I was waiting in a queue to drop the ballot box off to the count my car broke down!!! The security people had to push my car the last 75m so that I could hand everything over. I had to call out the rescue people and finally got home just before 2am. I had been up since 4:45am the previous morning as we have to be at the polling stations from 6am.2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge9 -
Crumbs, @Gem-gem! That was a very long day. I hope you've had some rest now.
Today I was quite pleased with myself as I've managed to reattach a rivet onto some jeans and wear them without 'busting out all over'. This is a pair of S*ein jeans bought (in a charity shop in Scotland) last autumn when I forgot my luggage, and with them I had a pale green tee shirt bought (at a charity shop in that nice Tudor town near Wales whose name eludes me) while on holiday last summer, an M&S cardigan given me as a present many years ago and my best trainers (bought in the sales locally earlier this year). Oh, and a bag bought for 50p at a car boot sale a few weeks ago. Incidentally, total repairs on the above, to the best of my memory, are the replaced rivet on the jeans and lots of TLC to de-bobble the cardigan when it was looking its age. I'd be interested to know what repair-type memories people have of the clothes they wear; I'm sure there must be some.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


