We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
Thank you for mentioning this. My other half has collars that are getting a bit straggly. I've previously "turned" one, which was a bit fiddly but looked good when done, but he also has a few mandarin style, so that is a really good idea as an alternative.maryb said:I wanted a shirt with a mandarin collar and another with a frilled collar, the sort we wore in the late 80s which seem to be back in style - Kate Middleton wears them a lot. But they are not styles that Land End does. And I haven’t had any luck finding them in High Street shops. Two white shirts in my size from Vinted came up yesterday and my trusty seam ripper will come out. I’ll take the collar off one and just sew the collar band up to make the mandarin collar on one of them and I’ll sew a frill to insert in the open seam of the other collar band7 -
Today I am mostly wearing … M&S jeans (second hand) and a Fat Face loose top also second-hand. I was volunteering this morning and I’ve just got out of my uniform shirt. We wear our own black trousers which are sadly much tighter than they used to be - I either need to make a concerted effort to stop eating snacks, or buy some bigger trousers.Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.5
-
Today I'm mostly wearing m&s navy and white long sleeve stripy top (charity shop).
Grey lounge pants from George (charity shop) that I had to redo the waist elastic as it too was tight. I cursed them as the elastic was sewn on, not in a channel, but as they were 99p and had pockets I figured it was a challenge for me and a donation for the charity. I think they are a bit too loungy (I.e. look like pyjamas) to go outside in, but I do go as far as the recycling bins! I guess that's the problem when you buy from a charity shop, you don't know whether you're wearing pyjamas out and about, I've done the same with a t-shirt too that I decided since it said 2 part set on the label was probably officially sleepwear, but once I'd taken the silly bow of the pocket I can't think that anyone would know.
Oh and a grey fleece hoodie ( also charity shop) which I ummed and ahhed about, debobbled a little (but other half said it wasn't really noticeable) but love its comfort and feel like I nearly live in it when it's chilly.7 -
Two outfits today. One was for sorting out rubbish for the dump, a pair of jeans that is over 15 years old, much patched and mended, but otherwise still going strong, a charity walk t-shirt from 2010. Other outfit was going to see my mum - denim leggings, red t-shirt and another sweatshirt. The leggings are probably the youngest in that they are pre-covid but probably around 2028-2019, but the other items are older, probably 2010-2012 ish.
On the shoe front, I tend to wear flat shoes. I'd probably turn my ankle if I tried to walk in high heels.....Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/767 -
Today I'm wearing a navy skirt, about 6,7 years old, a fairly new M&S t-shirt, Clark's flat 'walking' sandals, and a long navy cardigan as a jacket for a quick trip to the shops.2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used6 -
Today, I am wearing: a pair of JL navy trousers - a couple of years old; a navy vest top and a purple and navy WS blouse - around 8-10 years old. All bought new.Old R&B flat sandals wearing as slippers rather than buying a new pair of summer slippers.2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge7 -
@PipneyJane, I can match that with two packs of C&A cotton knickers, bought in the closing down sale in 2002.
They are magic. They were my size when I bought them, but they must have shrunk, but now they have gone back up in size after long years stored away, and they fit.
I am still wearing my M&S navy cotton uniform cardigan which I bought in 1980 for work. It has had a lot of washing and wear, been leant out many times, and turned up in the coffee room weeks later. I was very glad of it when an ambulance broke down on the motorway one cold night, after transferring a patient. It is faded, but has all of the buttons, no holes, and still had my name in it.
I have my Brownie badge from over 60 years ago.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.548 -
I have my Brownie uniform still, of similar vintage, including my "old-style" clasp belt with clips at the side - which I used to wear over long shirts, as a student in the frozen north! Strangely, I can't do it up now...
Missed out on what we were wearing yesterday, but I'm wearing it again today; it didn't get dirty as I went down with a streaming cold on Sunday evening & wasn't up to very much exertion, just minor domestic pottering in between rest-breaks. Cut-off jeans (M&S) bought second-hand (and full-length back then) about 8 years ago, and a t-shirt I made myself a year or two ago. The "underthings" are an M&S "comfort" bra bought as part of a pair a couple of years ago and one of the pairs of knicks I made from off-cuts from the t-shirt fabric. Barefoot except for trips into the garden to hang washing, etc. or up to the plot on our road, for which I will wear my cloggies. My wedge-shaped feet always thank me for some barefoot time!
I've just tidied our room & am washing a huge armful of excess clothing - admittedly half of it dance gear - which will be moving on in one direction or another shortly, so that I can actually store the clothes I own, actually wear, & love properly.Angie - GC Sept 26 £375.07/£450: 2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 29/66: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)8 -
Hi All.
Had my first follow-up appointment today, with the consultant. Good news and bad news. The good news is that the doctors are really happy with my condition. The bad news is that, because I was so sick, they want to give me two more rounds of a special chemotherapy, which involves being an inpatient for 5 days, each time. That’ll start at the end of July. It’s prophylaxis.
- Pip (I need a cup of tea. Is there any in the pot?)"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag10 -
Good that the bad news is shortish term and the future looks much more promising but I'm sorry you have to face that
You definitely need tea and comfort cake!It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!8
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


