We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
That's the nice thing about proper tweed. It doesn't really date, and lasts.Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/768 -
Hi all,
@PipneyJane glad you were able to get a match and dare I suggest you ask if they could possibly supply you with a piece of the trim
. If they make it they might be happy to sell you what you need, if they don't make it they might be happy to tell you where they source it.
.
@Laura_Elsewhere lovely lavender things, as soon as I can get my hands on some lavender I will be giving that a try
, lavender is one of my favourite smells and I use the essential oil on a little piece of cloth to help me sleep 
@Nelliegrace love those hankies and what a bargain
I am still working on recrocheting the yarn from the moth attacked blanket but it will have to go on the back burner for a while as I need to crack on with the baby blanket for friend's son and fiance as I will start to stress about it if I leave it much longer
Take care everyone5 -
I have what I thought was a slightly unusual issue. My left foot has gone up a whole size. But apparently it’s not that unusual for the ligaments to soften, the arches to flatten and your feet to spread as you get older. I knew about it happening in pregnancy but not old age. Irritating as it means none of my shoes fit - the big toe is right at the end and being pressed on quite painfully. Even more irritating is the fact it has only happened to the left foot so there is a whole size difference which means I can’t easily just buy a bigger size
But I was in town today and looked in Clark’s. The stock on the shelves is looking more and more spread out. Reminds me of Wilko when it was limping (see what I did there?) towards disaster. Clark’s has already been “rescued” once and is now owned by private equity (Chinese) They don’t tend to throw good money after bad. So I wondered whether to buy while I can. They had a pair of fairly classic courts with a block heel not too high. I’d looked at them previously but all the reviews said they were very narrow and tight. So this time I decided to try them on in a bigger size. They fit the bigger foot pretty well but they are too big on the smaller foot. I bought them anyway and will try them on at home with an insole. If that works then I will just need a pair of flats to wear with jeans. I might be able to get those from Hotter but it’s a bit hit and miss whether their shoes fit me. I could sob when I think of all the shoes I can no longer wear languishing in the bottom of the wardrobe
Anyway, the point of this ramble is it got me thinking about how many women must have suffered with painful feet in 1942. I know they tended to produce a lot more variety of sizes and widths at one time but wartime restrictions must have meant there was a lot less choice. Imagine spending 5 of your precious coupons on a pair of shoes which turned out to be seriously uncomfortable and knowing you were stuck with them and had to wear them every day probably all year round. I remember seeing the 1940s House and the mother complained about corns - makes senseIt doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!5 -
@maryb, feet often do get a bit bigger with age, for various reasons- but it's less common for it to happen only to one foot, and a whole size in difference- next time you are passing a good pharmacist or if you have a GP you can get appts with, can I suggest you just get someone trained to have a look? There are a fair few conditions that can have a symptom of one foot getting quite a bit bigger due to fluid building up inside the tissues, and if it is that then it would just be good to get it confirmed that it's one of the fairly harmless things and not something a bit more serious like heart problems!
(I learnt a lot about it when Mr E suddenly had one leg get bigger...! His is harmless, but the symptom of one leg or one foot getting bigger without you being aware until suddenly it's noticeable, that *can* indicate other stuff...)2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);4 -
As for 1940s shoes- I think the biggest difference from now is that properly-made leather shoes start off very stiff, and have to be "worn in" around the house for days, even a couple of weeks- the result of that is that the leather softens and moulds itself to your foot, so you actually end up with shoes that are a perfect fit for each of your feet.
Even when I was little, in the 1970s, I remember having to wear-in my school shoes around the house before terms started, and both my parents doing the same with their shoes.
We've all become accustomed very rapidly to putting up with shoes that don't fit us properly and don't last and can't be re-soled or re-heeled...
And we pay FAR more in replacing them!
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);6 -
@maryb, there are details online of various companies who cater for people with 1.5 or 2 sizes difference between their feet. I know that's more than you're currently experiencing but if you delve deeply you may find a compromise in going up half a size more?I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/224 -
Very good advice, @Laura_Elsewhere.Laura_Elsewhere said:@maryb, feet often do get a bit bigger with age, for various reasons- but it's less common for it to happen only to one foot, and a whole size in difference- next time you are passing a good pharmacist or if you have a GP you can get appts with, can I suggest you just get someone trained to have a look? There are a fair few conditions that can have a symptom of one foot getting quite a bit bigger due to fluid building up inside the tissues, and if it is that then it would just be good to get it confirmed that it's one of the fairly harmless things and not something a bit more serious like heart problems!
(I learnt a lot about it when Mr E suddenly had one leg get bigger...! His is harmless, but the symptom of one leg or one foot getting bigger without you being aware until suddenly it's noticeable, that *can* indicate other stuff...)
@maryb, as Cherryfudge suggested, have a look online for shops that sell shoes for odd feet. I know I saw one, when I was on holiday recently, but I can’t tell you whether it was in Rochester, Canterbury or Whitstable, or what it was called. I do remember they had a display in store for odd-sized feet.
HTH
- Pip
PS: Sadly, @Liverpool_Anne, the jacket was not made by Harris Tweed, only the main fabric. (Don’t know who made it, but a hidden label says “Made in Portugal.)"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag4 -
You could try an orthotic support in your existing shoes. To help form the arch. I have some from a time I was recovering from a knee problem, and I still use them if I feel a shoe isn’t supportive.maryb said:I have what I thought was a slightly unusual issue. My left foot has gone up a whole size. But apparently it’s not that unusual for the ligaments to soften, the arches to flatten and your feet to spread as you get older.
Anyway, the point of this ramble is it got me thinking about how many women must have suffered with painful feet in 1942. I know they tended to produce a lot more variety of sizes and widths at one time but wartime restrictions must have meant there was a lot less choice. Imagine spending 5 of your precious coupons on a pair of shoes which turned out to be seriously uncomfortable and knowing you were stuck with them and had to wear them every day probably all year round. I remember seeing the 1940s House and the mother complained about corns - makes sense
My chic grandmother always wore shoes I could imagine Ginger Rogers dancing in! Mid-height Cuban heeled sandals and shoes. She said they were for her posture, and it does make your foot arch and prevent locking the knees. My daughter already had bunions in her late teens from gripping ‘flats’ and ballerina shoes with her toes.Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/897 -
I think it’s because I have arthritis in my right hip so I put more weight on the left leg. My left foot is definitely flatter than the right foot. But I will keep an eye on it, thanks for the nudge.
Sarahspangles, my most comfortable shoes are a pair of trouser shoes with a 2 inch heel. The high vamp holds my foot well but the heel height really helps my posture and I get much less backache after being on my feet for a long time. Funnily enough those shoes still fit which is why I thought the shoes I bought today with a similar block heel might be good. I sometimes look at reproduction vintage shoes and the ones from the 1930s and 1940s all have medium low heels and support the front of the foot. Oxfords were very popular but they weren’t flat like the ones that have been around the last few yearsIt doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!4 -
In my coffee break I checked whether I really meant Cuban heels - I think French and block heels were also common. That little strap over the instep on some styles is really useful too. If I had £10 for every pair of shoes I’ve owned that weren’t actually comfortable or functional……I’d be able to buy a lot of shoes!Sarahspangles said:My chic grandmother always wore shoes I could imagine Ginger Rogers dancing in! Mid-height Cuban heeled sandals and shoes. She said they were for her posture, and it does make your foot arch and prevent locking the knees. My daughter already had bunions in her late teens from gripping ‘flats’ and ballerina shoes with her toes.
Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/897
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
