We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
More coupons spent - two nightdresses this time. They are nice though, and will take up almost no space when I travel. That's takes me down to 19 coupons.Fashion on the Ration 2026 - 1.5 over.
September Grocery Challenge - taking the month off
Declutter 12 things (net) in 2026 -5 -
The patterns seem to be knitted on quite fine needles, from memory an old UK 14 springs to mind- but then again a good woollen vest would last you years and years, and then almost certainly could be sold into the second-hand market. So the time was an investment.maryb said:Presumably the 2 ply wool was knitted on quite big needles so it would trap lots of air but would knit up quickly?
And the infants' vests wouldn't take anywhere near as long.2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);5 -
Two important points, @diminua. Also, nightdresses are rarely/never available secondhand, so this is a purchase worthy of your coupons.diminua said:More coupons spent - two nightdresses this time. They are nice though, and will take up almost no space when I travel. That's takes me down to 19 coupons.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag5 -
According to my gauge, a 14 is a 2mm needle. I have knitted ribbing on 2.25 but I can’t imagine knitting a whole garment!Laura_Elsewhere said:
The patterns seem to be knitted on quite fine needles, from memory an old UK 14 springs to mind- but then again a good woollen vest would last you years and years, and then almost certainly could be sold into the second-hand market. So the time was an investment.maryb said:Presumably the 2 ply wool was knitted on quite big needles so it would trap lots of air but would knit up quickly?
And the infants' vests wouldn't take anywhere near as long.Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/894 -
Size 14 was the normal needle size for all kinds of things- women's cardigans and so on. All of my Gran's pre-war patterns for socks and stockings use 3-ply wool (thinner than our 4-ply) and c.2mm needles. Mind you, 17th century stockings, men's and women's, were often knitted with about a 1mm needle and laceweight or thinner wool!
Thick wool and big needles is very much a recent thing!
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);5 -
@maryb 2ply would be very fine, lace weight Shetland wool, knitted on very thin needles, similar to ring shawl wool.
I think this is a 1940s pattern, shorter than 1930 vests.
Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.546 -
Hi all,
@PipneyJane have you considered contacting the harris tweed shop on the isle of Harris where it's all made. If I remember correctly you can get a sample of their fabrics so you could check the colour against the jacket, just a thought
Take care everyone5 -
Liverpool_Anne said:Hi all,
@PipneyJane have you considered contacting the harris tweed shop on the isle of Harris where it's all made. If I remember correctly you can get a sample of their fabrics so you could check the colour against the jacket, just a thought
Take care everyone
Good idea @Liverpool_Anne. I haven’t had a response from EWM. I will contact the Harris Tweed shop today.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag4 -
This one is pretty, from Trefriw Woollen Mill. I have sorted a couple of fleece gilets for the bin and the charity shop, and won this today for £9.99. I found it listed under the mill name. There were some from The Cambrian Mill, which was sponsored later by The Royal British Legion, which used to employ disabled servicemen.


Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.548 -
I have my small piece of Welsh weaving here with me, @Nelliegrace. From memory, I bought it at Merioneth Mill but that may be in error as I found 'Merion Mill' online. That would have been around 1976 and it's still bright and strong!
I had some non-coupon clothing spending today, as I found a couple of large scarves I liked at a car boot sale. Both are now line-drying but I found the red cotton one has some marks that I didn't spot when I bought it. It's quite large and seems to have been in contact with something navy blue so the colour has transferred. After a couple of hand washes and rubbing laundry liquid into the marks, they've faded but they're still there. I might try again as I think it would look nice against a dark coat or jumper - which was probably exactly how it got the blue stains in the first place. (The other scarf is some easy-care fabric, maybe viscose, with lots of yardage and covered in little birds. Not elegant but cute).I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

