We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
I’ll put a fresh pot on, that one has been standing so long the spoon would stand up in it. We’ll use it to water the plants, they don’t mind.
Sorry to hear they want you back, though it’s excellent they are so pleased with you. I expect you are planning a project to take in with you?I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/228 -
Pip pleased you have made such great progress and also sorry to hear you have more treatment to come.
I have replenished the biscuit tin, enjoy, but make sure you put the lid on properly otherwise the dog helps himself.Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases
One income, home educating family6 -
Well I’m pleased to hear the good news. Not so great about the two sessions - but how amazing is it that they can give you this treatment. This definitely calls for two new projects, and possibly some collateral treats such as new yarn. I have hardly used any coupons this year, so I’d like to donate some to you for this.Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.7
-
Thanks All. The biscuits are lovely @Baileys_Babe, as was the cup of tea @Cherryfudge. I needed it. I’m feeling like I was just emerging from my chrysalis, only to be sent back inside.PollyWollyDoodle said:Well I’m pleased to hear the good news. Not so great about the two sessions - but how amazing is it that they can give you this treatment. This definitely calls for two new projects, and possibly some collateral treats such as new yarn. I have hardly used any coupons this year, so I’d like to donate some to you for this.
@PollyWollyDoodle, that’s very sweet of you but, truth be told, I’m drowning in yarn, so no thank you.
As to plans… Well, annoyingly, they’ll have to put a line back in my arm, so I doubt I’ll be able to knit while hooked up. If I can, the next project on my list is this, an Aran sweater that I’ll be knitting in black, Cheviot wool from Caithness Yarns. I’ve already swatched for it and the swatch came up beautifully. Beyond that, there are always socks….
I’m thinking of the hospital stays as enforced reading time, so have dug out two of my three Simon Garfield books, We are at War and Private Battles, How the War almost defeated us. Hopefully I’ll be able to locate the third. (They’re collections of diary entries from Mass Observation’s archive.).
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag8 -
Are you planning to download some podcasts or audio books for those times your eyes need a break from reading? What about a few crosswords or number puzzles?Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases
One income, home educating family5 -
@{{{Gentle hugs}}} @PipneyJane; they do like to be extra-sure! No fun for you but it'll be worth it.Angie - GC Sept 26 £375.07/£450: 2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 29/66: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)6
-
@PipneyJane - hurrah for being classed as ‘vgc’!Can you think of the two prophylactic stays as being part of your emerging? When butterflies come out of their chrysalis they can’t fly until they have spent some time waiting about letting their wings dry…
Yesterday was three outfits for me- black swimsuit and blue plimsoles first thing as I went swimming off the Dorset coast; then my striped Tu dress which I am living in just now, for a trip with Mr E and m-in-law to her nearest town; finally into the blue White Stuff dress I bought very cheaply last year and have just altered the sleeves on, as we drove to meet up with Mr E’s son and his gf, holidaying north of mil’s home…
(the dress had full balloon sleeved fathered into an inch-wide band at the elbow which just looked frumpy; also an oddly plain round neck. So I cut the bands off the bottom of the sleeves, folded those up to cap-sleeves and tacked them in place; then I suddenly realised I could see the sleeve-bands onto the nexkline to make a really nice little standing-band collar! It looks far better!)
today I met one of my dearest friends and swam with her in the sea off Dorset, in a deserted bay- and we had a seal join us, coming to within twenty foot of us!!!2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);8 -
Well that's a total Dorset moment, @Laura_Elsewhere! Might otherwise happen in Scotland or West Wales but only here, on the South Coast, where we have no motorway... Love the sound of your dress alterations; I must admit to looking at the mumsy dresses that DDiL1's friends wear and politely putting it down to a generational shift. A brighter bunch of tax consultants, doctors & journalists would be hard to find, but they aren't half fond of leg-of-mutton sleeves, gathered skirts & frilly hems!Angie - GC Sept 26 £375.07/£450: 2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 29/66: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)7
-
Pleased about your good news, @PipneyJane. At least they're being thorough and making sure it's all taken care of.
Today I'm wearing... The same navy skirt as yesterday, a navy t shirt and a long cream cardi as a jacket when I drove DH to the osteopath this morning. The sandals are my footwear of choice right through June, July, August and September unless it's raining!2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used7 -
Pip, was pleased to hear that you have made such great progress. Sorry to hear you have more treatment to come, five days, that is a long time. Are you in a room by yourself? If not, pack a good pair of ear plugs.Today I am wearing a wine coloured pinafore dress (White Stuff - Bought probably around 4-5 years ago). With a pink crisp cotton shirt (Hobbs) bought this year. Black 40 d tights and black (R&B) patent shoes with a heel (Bought pre Covid).2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge8
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



