PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Weight Loss Challenge - 1st Quarter 2024

Options

Comments

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Day 1 done, bit of a headache, so took it easy with the exercise. A walk into town to pick up the car from where we left it, taking a slightly meandering route so we could visit more Pokéstops en route... (Pokémon Go, been playing it since August. It rewards you for doing more walking with treats in the game, so quite incentivising).

Because we had such a heavy night, didn't feel like eating too much today anyway, but had a dippy egg with marmite toast for breakfast, toast with pate and crudities for lunch and Pinch of Nom's Caribbean lamb curry with rice for dinner. 4 portions cooked, so 2 in the freezer for another day.

My review of the recipe then:
    Wow, this is delicious. I do think 2.5 hours in a long time for cooking, and I think I made it just 2 in total, and the lamb was tender enough. With just 50g per person of rice on the plate it didn't look very much in quantity, so I added some cucumber, cherry tomatoes and green pepper slices on the side and that made it quite filling. 8/10, I think! A high scorer.
    Home improvement payments £16.8K to go

May Grocery Challenge: £50.08/250

Decluttering 958/2024 Awards 🥇
    (06/05/24)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is that from their new book Wishus? Is it worth buying I have their first 3 but I'm trying not to be led astray by cookery books  :#
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • suzeesu2000
    suzeesu2000 Posts: 855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brambling said:
    Day 1. Very much nearly fell off the scales this morning. REALLY bad. Heaviest I have ever been BUT…it’s the start. 

I’ve been concerned about the evening munchies so I have a few jobs planned for the evenings. 
    You've made the difficult decision to get on the scales 👏👏 one meal at a time now

i also need to combat those evening munchies the knitting or crochet will need to come out again easy peelers aren't the same a chocolate  :|
    My weight loss is absolutely for health reasons, also if my bum gets any bigger it’ll need it’s own postcode🤣🤣 I’ve got a yarn stash and am pondering on what to make to occupy me later on. Thinking a multicoloured granny square jacket maybe…

good luck with your weight loss x
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
  • Foofoopuppy
    Foofoopuppy Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bazzalona, I've taken today as the proper start of post Christmas, being my first day back in work.

It really is crazy what a difference it makes. I take my lunch in, and that's it. I can control myself to not buy additional snacks on my lunch, so what I take in is what I eat. 

And because I'm in the office working, I don't have time to nip to the shops as much, so fewer snacks in general are bought. Also no ability to bake at home if I'm not home! 

I find that snacks are really my downfall, and being at home means I have lots of them available. So now I'm back in work normally, I will be on the wagon fully, and hoping to hit my target.
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Brambling said:
    Is that from their new book Wishus? Is it worth buying I have their first 3 but I'm trying not to be led astray by cookery books  :#
    It's from Pinch of Nom Comfort Food, but it's also online at the link I provided. I tried to have a purge of recipe books, but only a couple have made the charity box as OH rescued the others I was chucking. He says he'll keep them elsewhere. So now I just have:
    Pinch of Nom Comfort Eating
    Joe Wicks Lean in 15 blue
    Good Housekeeping (early 80s)
    The Slow Cook Book
    One Hundred Bread Machine Recipes
    The Incredible Spice Men
    Holly the Cafe Boat Cakes & Bakes
    The Great British Bake Off (1st book)
    Levi Roots Food for Friends
    Cooking With the Master Chef  - Michel Roux
    James Martin Fast & Slow Cooking (no contents page or index, which is annoying)
    Gary Rhodes, Rhodes Around Britain
    The Hairy Bikers Great Curries
    Paul Hollywood's Bread
    Jamie's 30-Minute Meals
    Three Good Things - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
    Proper Pub Food - Tom Kerridge
    Jamie at Home
    The Complete Book of Indian Cooking by Sperring and McFadden
    and 
    A Taste of Summer by Brian Turner

As you can imagine, not everything is terribly great for healthy eating per se, but I've realised that because I'm quite good at cooking, I've been a bit heavy handed with my portions. At least in books, the portions are the actual portions. So I'm intending to follow recipes more... and more thoroughly.

I may as well do today's update while I'm here. 
    Started the day off with a very quick swim (didn't get up early enough for anything longer, because OH and the cat took turns at waking me up every hour of the night). 18 mins in the pool, followed by a mile walk home in the rain.

Breakfast: 30g porridge with blueberries, fat free yoghurt and a smidge of golden syrup.
    Lunch/dinner: 4 cream crackers, pate (needs using up), gherkins, green pepper, cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
    Dinner/tea: Tortelli al magro - you need a log-in to see the recipe. I have made it before and it's very nice, but yes, needs lots of salad.
    Home improvement payments £16.8K to go

May Grocery Challenge: £50.08/250

Decluttering 958/2024 Awards 🥇
    (06/05/24)
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,207 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    @Brambling
    Did an official weigh in this morning (despite still having chocolate to get rid of....) 

As expected I did a bit of backsliding in a party intense month and regained 3 pounds previously lost.  So to get me to my next half stone mark I need to lose 10 pounds by the end of March.  We will be north of the artic circle then and are looking forward to a reindeer ride and the northern lights (pleeeaaasssssee!!!) so I don't want to lose so much I have nothing to wear but also don't want to cause any reindeer to hurt themselves hauling me across the snow fields.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Pixie_Cosmo
    Pixie_Cosmo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

I'm old enough to remember when a size 12 waist was 24".  I think overall women have become thicker round the middle, whatever their size/weight.

I have some of my Mum's clothes from the 70s, the size 10 is tiny! I'm short and find clothes sizing a nightmare. 🙄
    Pay off mortgage by Jan 2025
  • gillynomad
    gillynomad Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 January at 12:25PM
    Options
    I'd love to join this - I have put on a fair few stone in the last 18 months and really need to get back to being healthy.  I tend to do better when I can interact with others so hopefully this will really help! 

I'll be officially weighing in tomorrow but I know that ideally I need to lose somewhere in the region of 2 stone (depending on tomorrow's weigh in). So I guess my check-in for weight will be a Wednesday going forward.

Would like to add a target of 12lbs please for Q1 :smile: 1lb a week for the first quarter seems realistic for my lifestyle (i.e. desk work for long periods of time)

My initial health and fitness goals for 2024 are something like this:
    • Cut back on pepsi max

• Complete 100 workouts

• Be out of bed by 6:45am on a work day

• Row at least 500m every work day when at home

• 30 min morning walks with my dog

Mortgage: £116,060 (Apr 2024)
    Initial MF date: Apr 2048
    Current MF date: Dec 2044

MFW 2022 #98 £2,2000/£1,800
    MFW 2023 #35 £7,510/£7,500
    MFW 2024 #24 £1,225/£5,000
    MFi3-T6 #41  £21,231/£27,495 (Mortgage Target £110,000)

Weight Loss Q1 24: 5/12lbs
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure