Relationship with food

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Michael Mosley's 5:2 worked for us, particularly with the nutritional advice and recipes, most of which are designed to keep one satisfied. 

So often we feel peckish, but a good slug of water usually takes the edge of it. Good distractions include painting your nails, jigsaws, knitting - anything to keep hands busy. 

I started 5:2 in April 2016 to lose a stone, I lost two stone. The best thing here is Mosley gives maintenance strategies and I'm happily just  4 lbs over my lowest. 
    How did you cope on the non-fast days? I remember trying this a while back and I fainted in Sainsbury's and I was horrified. Then on a non-fast day, I was eating as if I was about to go into hibernation 😂
    We both found that our stomachs had shrunk and we didn't need any extras . Breaking fast at 12 ish was good, I always have what would be termed breakfast then - porridge or something. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • It takes a while for your stomach to shrink and your ghrelin levels to regulate and stop you feeling hungry when you do cut down portion sizes. Ultimately if you are thinking about food constantly and eating too much then overeaters anonymous might be the place for you. It isn't just for binge eaters but for anyone who is struggling with focusing too much on food and their behaviour around food. I found it really useful for working through my overeating associated with emotions - I previously ate for every emotion, and I learned some coping strategies and how to process my needs in other ways. If you are consciously eating when you're full and want to find an alternative I would reach out to them.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I found the Second Nature programme really helpful.  Also daily weighing rather than weekly.  I've been criticised for saying this, people say "you mustn't do that, long-term trends are more important".  BUt I still think daily wieghing gives you more of a regular reminder of keeping on track.

• The ‘How Not to Diet’ book by Dr Michael Greger is an absolute game changer. I no longer have the food cravings I’d lived with for years and am eating much healthier without even trying. 
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Another vote for the 5-2 diet. My dad lost SO much weight doing this! My parents are very sociable so the "two" days can be moved to be on days where they're not out and about!

I've never counted calories. I don't weigh myself but I LOVE food. I just have a pair of jeans that fit. If they're too tight I move more. 

Another tip is to break the snack cycle. If you find yourself wanting a snack, get a skipping rope out and go outside and do 500 skips. Or go for a walk. Do a plank for 2 minutes. Or DO something else and take yourself away from the snack. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • I found neurolinguistic programming (NLP) helpful.
  • bexs2247
    bexs2247 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm so there with most of you except my main problem is the biscuits/chocs etc - if I go into a shop for anything - I will buy something. I'm awful with Christmas/Easter/any special occasions/offers - I have the tendency to stop at a shop on my way to work/home/wherever else I am going - buy normally a share bag of chocolate/pack of biscuits and proceed to eat them all while driving to where I am going - the packaging can then stay hidden in the car and no one knows!!! I do not know how to break to cycle - I've had counselling, coaching etc. but can't afford it right now. I am actually a qualified PT so know a fair bit about nutrition! 

I think about my sweet snacks all the time - even when it's trying to tell myself not to have them! It get's you down.

I need to lose weight as I have bad knees but it seems at the moment I want to eat rubbish more than I want my knees to feel better although I tell everyone I want to lose weight and I'm motivated to do it - in reality I am not sure I am.

The past two times in my life I have lost weight (and then sustained for a good period of time) I had to hit rock bottom first and I was smaller than I am currently both those times!
  • Longwalker
    Longwalker Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    bexs2247 said:
    I'm so there with most of you except my main problem is the biscuits/chocs etc - if I go into a shop for anything - I will buy something. I'm awful with Christmas/Easter/any special occasions/offers - I have the tendency to stop at a shop on my way to work/home/wherever else I am going - buy normally a share bag of chocolate/pack of biscuits and proceed to eat them all while driving to where I am going - the packaging can then stay hidden in the car and no one knows!!! I do not know how to break to cycle - I've had counselling, coaching etc. but can't afford it right now. I am actually a qualified PT so know a fair bit about nutrition! 

I think about my sweet snacks all the time - even when it's trying to tell myself not to have them! It get's you down.

I need to lose weight as I have bad knees but it seems at the moment I want to eat rubbish more than I want my knees to feel better although I tell everyone I want to lose weight and I'm motivated to do it - in reality I am not sure I am.

The past two times in my life I have lost weight (and then sustained for a good period of time) I had to hit rock bottom first and I was smaller than I am currently both those times!
    That sounds like a really exhausting place to be @bexs2247

You say you need to hit rock bottom, what does your rock bottom look like?

Not a flippant question. My rock bottom when I went into rehab was seeing by blood test results. Falling down drunk, turning up to work drunk, falling asleep on the bus and train and going miles out of my way and walking home alone in the early hours, they weren't my rock bottom

My rock bottom to get this weight shifted was seeing myself full length in bra and knickers. Not the holidays were I sweated away covered up, not being missed out of the family photos, not the not joining in with the fun with the grandkids 

Rock bottoms are very personal things and come like a bolt from the blue and arent what you expect them to be ( IME ) Where do you imagine you need to be before the knees become more important to you then a packet of biscuits?

I know you dont want to hear this, but one of the ladies who comes to the same SW group as me was waiting to go on the WL for a knee replacement, she had to lose weight before she went on the list. She has been so successful she now walks without a stick and walks for exercise daily 

• Bazzalona13295
    Bazzalona13295 Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    This is overly simplistic and if you have family/kids harder to stick to, but if you are susceptible to certain treats try not to have them in the house at all.

Its cr*p but it may be the only way, certainly is for me.
  • cheeky-peach
    cheeky-peach Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone, just thought I'd post an update. 

I'm seeing a therapist who has suggested I consider 'overeatering' support. I'm reading a book for self-help, too. The book focuses on not weighting, not dieting, but focusing on your food intake which, when you get a grip of, should, as a result see you eating less which should result in weight-loss.

I'm finding the whole journey quite interesting and it's early days but I'll report back if anyone is interested. 

All I know is 'diets' and restrictive eating do not work for me as it doesn't change my underlying relationship with food. 

Thanks for your input.

(also, I'll happily leaving snacking - it's my meal portion sizes that I can't help myself with).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback