Relationship with food

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    NHS tier 3 or 4 weight management. In my area this gives access to a series of nutrition group sessions which look a psychology of food, and a waitlist for individual therapist support.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Skiddaw1 said:
    I wonder if Slimming World might be more suited to you than WW? They're brilliant IMO in that there's no calorie counting and loads of 'free food' (which may get you around the 'never satisfied' problem). I try to eat based on their principals and it does work pretty well for me.

I do sympathise. I was born hungry. I was properly fat for a while during my younger years. These days I manage keep my weight within just about acceptable limits via exercise (thankfully, I really enjoy running and fell walking as well as swimming and gardening so it acts as damage limitation) and- as mentioned- loading up on low fat items. 
    I have done SW too, and that was less successful. Not counting meant I was literally filling my plate and have no limit. Thanks for your comment though x
  • NHS tier 3 or 4 weight management. In my area this gives access to a series of nutrition group sessions which look a psychology of food, and a waitlist for individual therapist support.
    I've had a look and can't see this on NHS Wales. But I have now booked to see a Therapist. 
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Michael Mosley's 5:2 worked for us, particularly with the nutritional advice and recipes, most of which are designed to keep one satisfied. 

So often we feel peckish, but a good slug of water usually takes the edge of it. Good distractions include painting your nails, jigsaws, knitting - anything to keep hands busy. 

I started 5:2 in April 2016 to lose a stone, I lost two stone. The best thing here is Mosley gives maintenance strategies and I'm happily just  4 lbs over my lowest. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Just to add, i found the virtual gastric band app really useful. You listen to it before you go to sleep for 20 mins and i found it really helped me reset my thinking and reinforce small changes which help like drinking more water, eating slowly, focus on what I’m eating and recognising when I’m full. I also tend to choose healthier foods these days. 
  • I could have written exactly what you put in the first post. 
    I have tried SW and the usual types of weightloss and the weight always returns. 
    A year or so ago my GP referred me to a diabetes prevention course and this has a completely different take on eating healthily. I haven't lost huge amounts of weight yet but I feel far more in control of what I eat. The app is called Liva and I have a health coach who messages me individually. So much more personal than the talks at SW which were usually on issues which didn't affect me. It's all about reducing carbs and sugar and eating more protien , it seemed very strange at first to be snacking on things like peanut butter which SW would tell you to avoid but it's worked for me. 
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Ive been doing SW since May - loosely I may add - yes Ive lost weight, much more then I originally aimed for, but its only now Im beginning to feel more in control around food - 7 months down the line

Yes you can certainly fill your boots with SW - still eat that packet of pasta in one sitting if thats what you are used to, I certainly did for many a week, yet now its changing for me, I no longer can eat as much of it. Indeed I took a pasta salad to work the other day, a portion size that I would have ate in one sitting and be looking food a couple of hours later, and I gave up halfway

I dont do "snacks" I eat from a plate. Yes I have a blow out now and then, Im human after all, but what has changed for me is the fear of going back to clinically obese again. Ive still a way to go but for me now its not weight loss thats the focus, its getting my BMI back to a decent level and my cholesterol and blood sugars down to healthy levels - my GP seriously advised statins last May, this year hes said Ive dropped the risk but cholesterol is still high and said to keep trying with diet for another year and then they would re-evaluate. I so do not want to go down that route 

So when I do have that blow out, the next meal is a new start. I have the tools now, I fill my plate with veg/salad or fruit. Even a bacon roll is stuffed with rocket and tomatoes, a sandwich is now an open one, piled high with salads and pickles and protein. Also Ive been spending time making those little changes that mean Im a happier person, I got a new job in a place where staff are treated like valued members, Ive ditched a lot of negative people, I walk, I exercise, I find things to do that bring me joy.

A lot of my issues around food were down to what was happening in my life. Im slowly making the changes needed there and Im seeing the benefits with the weight loss as well
  • Michael Mosley's 5:2 worked for us, particularly with the nutritional advice and recipes, most of which are designed to keep one satisfied. 

So often we feel peckish, but a good slug of water usually takes the edge of it. Good distractions include painting your nails, jigsaws, knitting - anything to keep hands busy. 

I started 5:2 in April 2016 to lose a stone, I lost two stone. The best thing here is Mosley gives maintenance strategies and I'm happily just  4 lbs over my lowest. 
    How did you cope on the non-fast days? I remember trying this a while back and I fainted in Sainsbury's and I was horrified. Then on a non-fast day, I was eating as if I was about to go into hibernation 😂
  • Hi all,

Does anyone know of where I can seek support for help with my relationship with food?

I know I need to lose weight, but i can't seem to stick to anything. I have in the past had success with WW, losing 75lb but of course, the unlying issue I have, which is my relationship with food is still unchanged which means it went back on.

I've googled support channels but 'Beat don't cover my area.

Ultimately, I'm not anorexic, nor do I have bulimia, nor am I a binge eater and the majority of support is based upon these things. 

I'll eat three meals a day, but my portion sizes are, I know, too much generally. Even if I cut them down, this is when I reach for the snacks. Basically, it takes a lot to have me feeling satisfied. I can happily say no to things but I find I hardly ever get full to the point where I can leave something on my plate. Calorie counting leaves me feeling deprived which is when I go off the rails, and even cutting down my portion sizes doesn't last very long as I don't find I'm able to stick to it. 

I exercise and run three times a week, and I've tried filling up on fruits and veggies and protein rich food instead, but they never leave me satisfied either and I'm always looking for something else. Food then consumes my every waking thought.

It's really getting me down and I've tried to do this on my own so many times. I'm afraid to get fobbed off at the GP because the last time I mentioned it to them, they gave me tablets to stop me absorbing as much fat which gave me bowel issues. I'm feeling so depressed about it.

I appreciate any advice or guidance. Thank you for reading x
    I am exactly the same.  Just so you know you are not alone.  
  • Michael Mosley's 5:2 worked for us, particularly with the nutritional advice and recipes, most of which are designed to keep one satisfied. 

How did you cope on the non-fast days? I remember trying this a while back and I fainted in Sainsbury's and I was horrified. Then on a non-fast day, I was eating as if I was about to go into hibernation 😂
    I could not do this diet either, for those same  reasons. I'm hungry enough most days without depriving myself on two of them.  I would binge on the 'non-fasting ' days.

Glad it worked for you Pollypenny :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure