Weekly Flylady Thread 28th November 2023
Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our
version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is
not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but,
unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all
need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that,
sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because
we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us.
We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless
You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!
Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.
Thank you to Valli for last week’s thread..
There are 3 levels per day with depending on
how much time you have. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal
Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up.
These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.
Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.
A few of the basics before we start the week:
Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide
Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!
Ok here goes this week!
Monday ~ Grotty Kitchen and
Gloomy Dining Room
Declutter and mop/vacuum the floors
Find and wipe the worksurfaces
Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
Wipe small appliances and replace.. do one thoroughly.. descale or decrumb or degunge! Clear and wipe a shelf or window sill
Wipe the table and replace the cloth if necessary.
Sort through and clean out one cupboard
Clean the oven and hob..
Wrap any presents you need before the 25th, gifts for teachers or friends. Do you need to give Christmas Boxes to milkmen, window cleaners etc?I know I need to sort out a Christmas Box for my lovely postman, who is very good and even knows when I am up and about now so he can deliver any parcels
- Don't forget any cards and presents to post.. last posting dates.
- Check through Christmas ornaments, do any need throwing away or replacing.
- Last thing you want when you decorate your tree is to find broken ornaments!!!
- Clean out the fridge.. make use of anything almost past its best
- Wash the windows
- Clean the top of the kitchen wall units.. if you can reach.. no accidents please!!
- Dust and Deweb
- Check those presents you have to buy..some delivery dates may be longer than normal.
- Finalise shopping orders/lists for your Christmas food shop.. remember shops are closed for two days.
- Check bin collection days - some Councils may change them over the Christmas period
Clear the floor of clutter
Tidy the baubles and lights on the tree.. OR PUT UP YOUR TREE
Vacuum the stairs and hallway and living room
Wipe and water plants
Wash the windows
Wipe the sofas and wash any skanky soft furnishings
Sort coats, shoes and bags
Wipe the paintwork in the hallway and up the stairs.
- Check the smoke alarms
- Fill a binbag for charity shop
- Finalise your christmas menu and shopping list
- Defluff and deweb these rooms
- Christmas wrapping, try and get at least a few done if you have been super efficient and bought presents early.
- Replace the batteries in your annoying singing things
- Make a receipts envelope for all the receipts from Christmas presents, just incase anything needs to go back
Brilliant Bathroom, Sociable Study and other grotty places!
Clean the loo and the bath and the shower and the basins!
Defragment PC and run spyware scans while scrubbing
Wash windows and any chairs/sofas
Clean curtains/blinds etc
Wash bathmats/shower curtain and furry bog hats
Replace any sponges/flannels/toothbrushes etc that need it, throw out any empty bottles.. decant dribbles into fuller bottles
- Clear a hotspot, if it's bad at least spend 10 minutes on it
- Clean windows in these rooms
- Spend 30 minutes just having time for yourself, whatever it is doing.
- Fling boogies are here again, aim for 27 items to leave the house!
- Bake pies and buns!
- Make a note of when the binmen are coming!!
Thursday ~ Master messroom! and landing
Strip the bedding and get it washed!
30 minutes floordrobe/junk clearing!
Vacuum and turn the mattress, vacuum the landing and floor
Remake the bed
Clean the windows
Wash any curtains/etc that are in need
Wipe down all the furry paintwork
Fill a binbag for charity shop or the bin!
- Update remaining present lists
- Collect all the dirty laundry from upstairs
- Clean out any pets/wash pet bedding
- Wash some light shades
- Make a timetable for Christmas prepartions.. turkey in.. turkey out.. etc
- Spend 30 minutes just having time for yourself, whatever it is doing, because we probably won't have time next week
- Chase up any deliveries you are waiting for that have not arrived
- Update remaining present lists
*** IT'S DECEMBER ***
Let's play catchy-up
S&S the kitchen and bathroom
Spend 30 minute pampering yourself!!
Catch up the the window washing
Catch up on the floor mopping/vacuuming
Catch up on the dewebbing and dusting!
Collect ALL the dirty laundry from about the house inc and bedding that needs changing..
Spend 15 minutes on your filing
Clean ALL the filters and drawers etc on the kitchen appliances
- Wipe down ALL the paintwork you keep putting off
- Choose a manky kitchen cupboard and make it shine.. the inside.. NOT the outside!
- Clean out any pets/wash pet bedding
- Clean the pantry or airing cupboard or understairs cupboard or shed..
- Post all the cards you need to post. Last posting dates are drawing very close. Be aware that the post is taking longer at the moment to arrive to people.
- Start on the wrapping presents for family/friends/teachers etc
- Wipe out the freezer.. defrost if needed!!
- Straighten the baubles and lights on the christmas tree.. and if you haven't done it.. get it up, stop being such a humbug!
- Write some Christmas cards!!
- Update remaining present lists!!!
- Make a timetable for christmas prepartions.. turkey in.. turkey out.. etc!!!
- All Categories
- 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 449.1K Spending & Discounts
- 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 172.3K Life & Family
- 246.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards