Uber cleaning fee question

On Saturday night, my partner and I found a woman slumped on the pavement in London. She was not in a good way, was vomiting and could barely hold herself up in a seated position. It was midnight, and no buses were available for her until 7am, so I got her into an Uber (unthinkingly, I ordered it with my phone...) and told the driver that she should be ok, but to help her get to her house when they arrived.

Unfortunately, on Sunday morning, I was informed by Uber that she had been significantly sick in the car. Consequently, I was charged a cleaning fee of £110 as well as the ride charge. No good deed goes unpunished, it seems... 

They provided photos which shows vomit on the back seat. The seats are leather though, and it would have been easy enough to clean off and air. However, looking at their site, it is unclear how they distinguish the fee. A "significant" charge (their highest fee) apparently runs from £50 - £110. Yet, their site says that the driver must produce a receipt proving that it has been professionally cleaned. I have asked Uber twice if they have this, and they have refused to answer both times.

https://www.uber.com/en-GB/blog/uber-cleaning-fee/

Sadly my main takeaway from this whole experience is that you should only use the unfortunate person's phone if you want to help them out. I am contacting the woman to see if she will repay me, so that isn't the issue here (although I have a feeling I may get no response). 

My concern is that there appears to be no kind of verification about what drivers can claim for, or the amount. For all I know, the mess was wiped up and the car aired in the space of ten minutes, by the driver himself. I absolutely have no issue with a cleaning fee being charged given the driver will not be taking fares while it is happening. But I take issue with the lack of Uber's transparency about the sliding scale and what exactly is in place to stop it being abused. Does anyone know what kind of rights customers have in this kind of situation to request proof, if any, especially as it is stated on their site that a cleaning receipt is required? 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 8,937
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You'd need to pay me a fair sum to mop up someone else's vomit... the local's bar manager ended up having to pay a customer a fair amount (in beer) to clean up after a dog vomited massively and the people left without saying anything because neither she nor the other member of staff could stomach doing it. 

This is naturally Uber too so whatever the driver is charging Uber will be adding a margin on top. A quick google and look at all the papers on "vomit fraud" suggests most recent charges are around £90-£110 for notable bodily waste 

Whilst the seats may be leather/leatherette are you sure none was on the carpets? Also not sure what vomit you've had to clean, even on leather, where the smell goes after 10 minutes. 
  • I have it on writing from Uber that 100% of the fee goes to the driver...

The pictures they sent don't show any sick on the floor, just the seats. I'm not disputing what happened, I'm just interested in how the figures are decided on given Uber states explicitly on the site that they need to get the car professionally cleaned, but then refuse to provide proof that this was done.

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,467
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
     The fee also takes into account the amount of jobs the driver could have done whilst cleaning up the mess 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,765
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The driver is required to provide proof of professional cleaning to Uber under the contract between them, but have you seen anything suggesting that either party has any obligation to forward this to the customer or even to discuss its existence?
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 292
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 November 2023 at 7:57PM
    How can you challenge that it didn't need a thorough clean whatever the material is. They are running a business where future customers are expected to sit on the same seats. This isnt some two yr old throwing up some Haribo in the back of mum and dad's car.

There's only one person at fault here and that's the person who threw up. 
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 573
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sparkyrob said:

On Saturday night, my partner and I found a woman slumped on the pavement in London. She was not in a good way, was vomiting and could barely hold herself up in a seated position. It was midnight, and no buses were available for her until 7am, so I got her into an Uber (unthinkingly, I ordered it with my phone...) and told the driver that she should be ok, but to help her get to her house when they arrived...

And how did you know where she lived?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,605
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How did you know she was not ill, in a diabetic crisis?

An ambulance would have been more appropriate unless you knew more about this woman and why she had collapsed than you are letting on.

I am contacting the woman to see if she will repay me

How are you contacting her?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,231
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The car would probably have been out of use for the rest of the night.  Not only for removal of the vomit, but to get the smell of the stuff out of the vehicle.  The loss to the driver could have been considerably more that a hundred quid or so.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback