HSBC Advance £125 bonus + £80

Options
Firstly, an update on the HSBC bank bribe. I opened the Advance account on 1st November, it took a couple of days, but my application was approved quite quickly, then it was just waiting for the account set up and card to arrive in the post (which it now has). These are the steps to qualify for the £125 bonus, in case anyone is about to do this:

- Deposit £1500. Now I could've waited until payday to do this in which case it would've been in one transaction. However, I am impatient! On the MSE website, it says you can do this in several transactions, eg. £500, and then withdraw again, so that's what I did. My main current account is with Nationwide, so I transferred £500 from Nationwide to HSBC, then back, then back again, then back, and then Nationwide blocked the transaction! Not a huge problem, they rang me and I had to answer the usual fraud prevention questions before they released the transaction and all was well again. I suppose this all depends on the bank that you are transferring from and how hot they are on fraud prevention. As I say, no biggie, but thought I'd put that on here in case it puts anyone off doing the £500 hokey cokey!

- Spend 5 times on the debit card. Now I have my card and PIN I am about to go and buy 5 bananas as suggested.

- Log into the HSBC mobile app. Easy, took seconds to download from the app store.

- Open the app-only HSBC Global Money multi-currency account and order the associated multi-currency debit card. This was also very easy. The app prompts you to do this and order the card, it took seconds. I am just waiting for the card to arrive in the post.

That should be it, £125 will then be paid within 20 days - I will update on this thread!

Then to receive the further £80 bonus, all I need to do is buy 5 more bananas using the 
Global Money debit card before April 2024.

Now to my second reason for this thread... Once I have received the £125 bonus, can I use the advance account to switch to a different bank and get another bonus? I know I need to keep the global money account open until at least May 2024 to get the £80 bonus, but in order to have this account, do I have to also keep the advance account open? Any advice on this would be great, thanks :-).

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 7 November 2023 at 11:37AM
    Options
    I can't see in anything in the terms which would forbid the £80 payment if the Advance account was closed, but I would personally keep it open until everything's paid - my reason for that is that there is probably a check at that point that you are an eligible Advance account holder, and whether intentionally or otherwise that may end up excluding people who were an eligible Advance account holder but are no longer.
    If you don't care, and you're happy to raise a complaint in order to ensure you get it the other side - it's not a problem; but I'd personally save myself the potential faff.
  • Steve_Andrea
    Options
    I opened my account on the 2nd of November, card arrived today and I completed the following steps

1. Transferred £1500 into account
    2. Made 5 £1 payments using the debit card (Amazon top ups)
    3. Setup a Global Money account

I read on the MSE site that the offer expired on the 6th November ! but as I opened the account on the 2nd will I still get the £125 ?

I have asked HSBC live support and am awaiting a response
  • cols_002
    Options
    I opened my account on the 2nd of November, card arrived today and I completed the following steps

1. Transferred £1500 into account
    2. Made 5 £1 payments using the debit card (Amazon top ups)
    3. Setup a Global Money account

I read on the MSE site that the offer expired on the 6th November ! but as I opened the account on the 2nd will I still get the £125 ?

I have asked HSBC live support and am awaiting a response
    Yes, you should still get the £125. I’m sure I’ve read that you just needed to complete the application by the 6th.
  • mitchm4
    Options
    I’m assuming this would still work if I used the card via Apple Pay rather than the physical card itself? I’ve already met all of the requirements, but my card took a while to come so my purchases were made with Apple Pay. 

Do they give you any notification that you’ve met the requirements and can expect the bonus to be paid? 
  • Clare616
    Options
    I'm wondering if I'm going to get the bonus as I didn't find out about the offer until the deadline day. I got the main account open before the deadline, but couldn't access the app to open the global account until after the deadline. Not sure if that is allowed. 
  • Bizzywizard
    Options
    My husband and myself applied for the account on 2nd November and we have still not heard if we have been approved, we have excellent credit scores, so cannot understand it.
  • prettyandfluffy
    Options
    mitchm4 said:
    I’m assuming this would still work if I used the card via Apple Pay rather than the physical card itself? I’ve already met all of the requirements, but my card took a while to come so my purchases were made with Apple Pay. 

Do they give you any notification that you’ve met the requirements and can expect the bonus to be paid? 
    I just had an online chat with them about this, they said Apple Pay counts.  Screenshot of the relevant part of the conversation:

• bheng91
    Options
    My husband and myself applied for the account on 2nd November and we have still not heard if we have been approved, we have excellent credit scores, so cannot understand it.
    I applied on 6th and got a text message to say its going to take up to 10 days for processing. Long !!!!
    I did get a text message from them today saying 'processing request and getting you on track to receive your account incentive' so fingers crossed !!! 
  • airey
    airey Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anybody received the £125 yet? I thought I'd completed all the steps on the 31st October. I know I'm still within the 20 days but if people have been getting it quicker maybe I've done something wrong? 
  • prettyandfluffy
    Options
    airey said:
    Anybody received the £125 yet? I thought I'd completed all the steps on the 31st October. I know I'm still within the 20 days but if people have been getting it quicker maybe I've done something wrong? 
    I think it's due to be paid by 29th November at the latest but can't remember where I read that,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback