The Three C's - Coffee, Clothes & Credit Cards

Options

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Keeping away from temptations is half the battle. 

With car tax I have mine on monthly repayments - it is more expensive by about £10 a year but they auto-renew and its a cost I'm willing to take.  I think you have to set it up before your old one expires otherwise you need to pay in full.  It was just the one bit of admin that always caused me bother.  The DVLA website is pretty good and clear - gives you the cost comparisons so you can make your own mind up
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    mark55man said:
    Keeping away from temptations is half the battle. 

With car tax I have mine on monthly repayments - it is more expensive by about £10 a year but they auto-renew and its a cost I'm willing to take.  I think you have to set it up before your old one expires otherwise you need to pay in full.  It was just the one bit of admin that always caused me bother.  The DVLA website is pretty good and clear - gives you the cost comparisons so you can make your own mind up
    It really is and when I'm tired I find it even harder to resist. But I need to remind myself that if I want to do things I enjoy then I need to resist the unnecessary spends. 

I guess it's what my sinking fund is for but I just don't like spending it lol 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to live life and have some fun - if you are miserable you make bad decisions.  but it is easy to give yourself too much benefit of the doubt.  I always prefer the option of having something less often than doing without. we are all grown ups so just need to balance it out or rather notice when it is out of balance.  That's really hard to do when everything is changing so much cost wise
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Sarahwithlove
    Sarahwithlove Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes learning to say no and decide which is more important is something I need to work on. 

Car passed its MOT but had quite a few advisories. I am getting some done today as would need doing before new year anyway. Waiting for final costs but I'm guessing in the region of £700-750. I'm debating whether to put it on my 0% credit card and let the money carry on getting interest in my saver. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can be sure you won't touch the money in your savings account then it is probably worthwhile putting it on your 0% credit card, assuming it's definitely 0% purchase card and not just a balance transfer one.

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    joedenise said:
    If you can be sure you won't touch the money in your savings account then it is probably worthwhile putting it on your 0% credit card, assuming it's definitely 0% purchase card and not just a balance transfer one.

Yes it's definitely a 0% purchase card until Jan 2025. So yes think I will take advantage of it 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    So my car is back and my credit card now has an additional £740. I have updated my signature to reflect the changes I have made to my financial plans. My Barclaycard is 0% until Jan 2025, so I am using it for large purchases that would normally come from my sinking fund. I am still budgeting my monthly amount for sinking fund but redirecting it to the debt repayment pot. If I dip into my sinking fund then I can always redirect it back. I am keeping my standard £50 a month to my Virgin credit card as its above the monthly amount and will aim to pay just above the Barclaycard monthly amount as well. The remainder will go into my debt repayment pot along with any money left over at end of month. 

I'm back on prolific and already at £9 with more still pending. I have also made a list of things I want to try and sell on fb marketplace and vinted. Still using my receipt apps and loyalty apps for supermarkets to get vouchers and betting apps for free games/bets to make extra money.
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Could you set up a little pot where if you resist something or go for a cheaper option you can quickly transfer the money over so you can get in the habit of thinking 'do I want/need this more than I want to be smug about my pot'? Then it can be fed into your sinking fund at the end of the month or sent into another fund?
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Happy weekend, I'm not doing any overtime this weekend as I was too efficient at work and did the work during my usual working hours. Have to say it feels quite nice not having to work today. I had quite a busy day yesterday, went and had my nails done £10 (mates rates) and then for Nando's for lunch £18 followed by my monthly massage £35. I also decided to go and do my weekly food shop as well and get some petrol allowing me to have a chilled morning before I go to football later. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Pleased to say that I managed to have a non spend day today. I took 2 cans of coke zero with me, drove around for 5 mins and luckily got a space in free parking. Walked 10 mins to the ferry and used my multi trip ticket. I then walked the 45 mins to football ground rather then get the train. Was sooooo warm and felt horrid after but saved myself the £5 for the train. It would have been so easy after to get food on way home but I resisted by making sure I had a pizza in fridge at the home. I had a quick shower whilst it cooked and chilling without feeling any guilt. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback