The Three C's - Coffee, Clothes & Credit Cards

Options

Comments

• Sarahwithlove
    Sarahwithlove Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not happy had a really threatening email from EDF this morning because I cancelled my direct debit with them. They are no longer my supplier of gas and electric and I am massively in credit so why would I allow them to keep taking money? Its crazy that companies expect you to pay both them and your new company? Currently waiting for a response from their customer service as my app says I have no money on my account with them and that I should have got a new bill on 29th September. Yet nothing. I gave final meter readings to them and to Octopus. The email wasn't very nice, gave me 10 days to pay or they would charge late fees and that their debt recovery actions would effect my credit score. Erm I can't even make a payment as my account with you is closed. You can see why people's mental health gets effected can't you? I'd understand if they sent me a bill and I didn't pay it but all I did was cancel my direct debit. Crazy. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,595 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You usually don't cancel your DD until after your account is actually closed and they have returned any outstanding money to them.  Your best bet is to call them to give them your bank details again so that they can refund what is outstanding.
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    joedenise said:
    You usually don't cancel your DD until after your account is actually closed and they have returned any outstanding money to them.  Your best bet is to call them to give them your bank details again so that they can refund what is outstanding.
    Thanks I will give them a call i just couldn't afford for them both to take the direct debit out even if I would get it back. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • joedenise
    Options
    They shouldn't actually take any money as they knew you were leaving but can never tell!  Good luck with sorting it all out on the phone.  They may say they have to use the DD facility but just say no and if they can't refund with just your bank details then to send a cheque you can pay in yourself.  Good luck.
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    joedenise said:
    They shouldn't actually take any money as they knew you were leaving but can never tell!  Good luck with sorting it all out on the phone.  They may say they have to use the DD facility but just say no and if they can't refund with just your bank details then to send a cheque you can pay in yourself.  Good luck.
    Thank you that's good advice. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• t2rry
    t2rry Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sarah!  Welcome back, have subscribed!  Sounds like you're back on it too, we all have up and down periods!

You're right too, everything has gone up so noticeably, I've just been able to put our gas/elec DD down by £50 a month which felt great but is still double what it used to be on a bad month!! 

Just keep going!  
    Debt Free I FFEF I Building Savings I 2024 Plan:
    1. Slush/Tax Fund £4,050/£5,000
    2. Additional Pension Contributions £3,300/£5,000
    3. Regular Savings £3,800/£15,000

#47 Save £20k in 2024 - £11,150/£20,000 (55%)
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just keep going is probably the bedrock of MSE - whatever happens day to day, month to month.  Just keep going (in the right direction) and you will get there soon enough
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    t2rry said:
    Hi Sarah!  Welcome back, have subscribed!  Sounds like you're back on it too, we all have up and down periods!

You're right too, everything has gone up so noticeably, I've just been able to put our gas/elec DD down by £50 a month which felt great but is still double what it used to be on a bad month!! 

Just keep going!  
    Thanks it's certainly been some ups and downs. I've noticed it the most in food shopping and day to day purchases. Just trying to take it a day at a time and find ways to make extra money. 

mark55man said:
    Just keep going is probably the bedrock of MSE - whatever happens day to day, month to month.  Just keep going (in the right direction) and you will get there soon enough
    Thank you. Hopefully have a plan of action put together. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Happy hump day to you all. Its my Friday off this week so shorter week for me. I feel shattered today after a late night last night and the sugar cravings kicked in. So ended up spending money on sweets and fizzy drinks and then ordered a takeaway. I really need to stop spending money on rubbish. Luckily I have enough to cash out on prolific to cover it but hoping I wont need it and can just make my spends stretch. Also purchased mine and my cousins football tickets for the end of the month, she's repaid me already, but my barclaycard is on file for them. Luckily its 0% so I have put the money into my saver I am using for building up credit card overpayments. 

my car got picked up this evening for its 8am MOT and service tomorrow, its not due until 25th but my friends son who is sorting it is away for 2 weeks so wont be back in time to do it before then again. Fingers crossed it passes and doesn't cost me too much but I have a bad feeling unfortunately. Good news is that means no office for me tomorrow so no temptation of the vending machine. I need to check when the best time for looking at car insurance is as its due beginning of November as well. Expensive time of year for me as car tax is due December too. 

Right early night for me as I'm functioning on about 4 hours sleep. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day spends wise if we ignore the car costs. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• joedenise
    Options
    The best time for looking for car insurance is 3 weeks before it's due so mid October sounds about right for nearly November.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback