The Three C's - Coffee, Clothes & Credit Cards

Options

Comments

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Busy weekend for me, unfortunately this all means an expensive weekend. Had my nails done on Friday and got a new cuticle cream as the oil I have been using doesn't seem to be working. So far it seems to be helping. Also went out for lunch as my nails are done by my best friend so we made an afternoon of it. Saturday was football, so bus and train fares, was late home so got a kebab on way home.
    Sunday was last minute decision to visit my friend and her family, had a lovely day and only happens a few times a year. We went to the Zoo, had lunch there, then out for dinner and a coffee (total £40). Also stopped at services on way home to grab a drink and some sweets to suck on as still have a lingering cough. The long drive there and back and with drive this weekend meant I had to get more petrol, though this weekend I will get some petrol money back from my cousin so that will help. 

I've had my cheque from the previous supplier for my gas and electric and its processed wahoo. I put £250 in a separate saver for extra payments towards future gas and electric, £35 towards my overspend, £100 in my bills account as a buffer as I don't like seeing it sat at £0.00. I also started my Christmas shopping today :smile: 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Aimingforthegoodlife
    Options
    Having lovely experiences is so important, sounds like a great weekend, perhaps re-jigging the budget to allow more personal spends would be beneficial. I sometimes think, I work so hard, I deserve some nice things, just not all!haha. 
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Having lovely experiences is so important, sounds like a great weekend, perhaps re-jigging the budget to allow more personal spends would be beneficial. I sometimes think, I work so hard, I deserve some nice things, just not all!haha. 
    I'm going to see how it goes and have a buffer I can use if needed. I have a quiet month in November so hopefully will be able to make it work and carry some over. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • vampirotoothus
    Options
    Hi do you have a microwave? If you do why are you worried about taking meals from the freezer to defrost. Just cook them from frozen, like you would a meal from Iceland. Just make sure the container is microwaveable (or empty it into something that is) put a cover over it (less cleaning) and go. Make sure it has heated properly. You'll save yourself a fortune V x
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Happy November! 

October was a busy month for me and 1st one back on me budgeting. Wasn't as successful as I probably would have liked but I am going to take it as its far better than it would have been with no budget. 

October Round Up

Credit Card
    Starting Balance: £1815.88 as of 4th October Statement
    End Balance: £3521.53 as of 3rd November
    This is 0% so have used it for Car Insurance, Car MOT/Service/Repairs and Christmas Shopping this month instead of taking it from sinking fund which is currently 5% interest. 

Sinking Fund
    Starting Balance: £2000
    End Balance: £2250
    £250 a month gets transferred into a regular saver 

Emergency Fund
    Start Balance: £900
    End Balance: £1200

Credit Card Neutral Pot
    Starting Balance: £3000
    End Balance: £3100

Credit Card Excess Pot
    Starting Balance: £0
    End Balance: £9.71
    Once this reaches £50 it will be transferred into Credit Card Neutral Pot

Energy Pot
    Starting Balance: £0
    End Balance: £250
    This includes my refund from previous company

November

Another busy month for me planned, hopefully wont be quite so costly though. 

This weekend is coffee with friends, going out for a family meal later in the month, girls night, Nando's and Nails, Day out with bestie (location tbc), football twice this month, so travel and potentially pub lunch if we meet beforehand. Probably will one of the two times I would think.  So lots to look forward to but will be tough to make my personal spends stretch. 

In good news we found out today that they have finally agreed our pay rise, it will be backdated to April and paid in Decembers payday. 

My dad has come into some money and has kindly advised me that once he receives it he will be giving me £1000, I did debate just taking it off what I owe him but we are both happy with the repayment arrangement. So that will be going in my credit card repayment pot. I did think about keeping some of it back for something for myself, but I have kind of been doing that for the last 6 months by buying stuff on my credit card. I think instead I will look through what I have purchased and assign it to repayment for that.

Off the top of my head I can think of new trainers, theatre tickets, video doorbell, clothes and the biggest expense my mums ashes burial and memorial plaque. its also very scary to see how much I wasted during that time. But its done now and need to move on and focus on not getting back in the position again. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    good luck - I agree with your decision about taking your dad's gift but being sensible with it, rather than knocking it off the money owed to you dad.  I think that latter course would leave him less happy as effectively he's paying himself off.  Maybe use a small part of it to pay for the football so your other budgets dpn't take that strain.  I know its all pots and juggling but that would feel nice if it was my gift
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello @Sarahwithlove - I seem to have missed this diary and have just caught up.  I agree that you should accept the money and enjoy it wisely (I think wise enjoyment can be possible 🙃)
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    mark55man said:
    good luck - I agree with your decision about taking your dad's gift but being sensible with it, rather than knocking it off the money owed to you dad.  I think that latter course would leave him less happy as effectively he's paying himself off.  Maybe use a small part of it to pay for the football so your other budgets dpn't take that strain.  I know its all pots and juggling but that would feel nice if it was my gift
    That's a good idea. My team are doing well at the moment so we are trying to go to more away games. So I think I will put some money aside for that. 

Blackcats said:
    Hello @Sarahwithlove - I seem to have missed this diary and have just caught up.  I agree that you should accept the money and enjoy it wisely (I think wise enjoyment can be possible 🙃)
    Thank you I am going to aim for a mixture of both I think. I'm thinking £800 to card and £200 for enjoyment. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Hello! 

Wow I hadn't realised how long it has been. Really need to make an effort to log in more. Money wise its going ok, I've been fortunate enough to get my £1k gift from my dad, which has massively helped as I paid some off my credit card. I also received my £150 from TSB for my switch and also started switch process today to Barclays so will get that £175 as well in the future. Think that's all the switches I can do for a while. Oops. 

Anyway I feel in a much better place financially now as a result, I still have my work back payment to come in end of Decembers pay, but my aim is to have only my dads loan left by end of March 2023. I want to go into the new financial year without any credit card debt or well credit card debt neutral anyway. I need to find £75 between now and then providing nothing comes up that upsets my budget. 

*Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You'll do it @Sarahwithlove! So close; can't wait to read your next update! Love Humdinger xx 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback