Santander Easy Access Limited Edition

Options
The Key Document ofr this account states the annual interest at 5.20% AER/gross and the monthly interest rate at 5.08% AER/gross. Should the monthly not read 5.08% gross (5.20% AER)? Or have I misunderstood how AER works?

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Key Document ofr this account states the annual interest at 5.20% AER/gross and the monthly interest rate at 5.08% AER/gross. Should the monthly not read 5.08% gross (5.20% AER)? Or have I misunderstood how AER works?

It wouldn't be 5.2% AER if you withdraw the interest monthly. That's what the 5.08% represents in my opinion. 
  • AndyTh_2
    AndyTh_2 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2023 at 8:30AM
    Options
    yes it's a mistake Satander made in their Key Document.

AER needs to account for compounding of paid interest for the year as if it was kept in the account. (Not an opinion)
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 September 2023 at 8:47AM
    Options
    A mistake. It should read as you say. The amount of interest as shown in the example is correct for both - assuming the £1k is untouched for 12 months.
  • dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2023 at 10:01AM
    Options
    I just attempted to open one of these accounts.
    After entering all the details the website froze.
    The final 'Continue' button had no effect.
    After a while I received a timeout and error message.
    I repeated the process using MS Edge in case there was an issue with Firefox + uBlock Origin but had the same issue.

• Hal17
    Hal17 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can upgrade a current Easy Access Account to this latest edition? I have an account currently paying 4.2%.
  • southone
    southone Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 September 2023 at 10:22AM
    Options
    Sounds like they're overwhelmed with applications I would try again later
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    Hal17 said:
    Does anyone know if you can upgrade a current Easy Access Account to this latest edition? I have an account currently paying 4.2%.
    You just open a new 5.2% account and then transfer the funds over.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hal17 said:
    No, it's not possible. Just log in and open a new one and move your funds across. Takes less than 2 mins to do.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Options
    As above open the new one.
    I funded the old one and moved the money over rather than setting up a new payee.
    To open the new account and fund from Tandem and chip took 5 minutes in total.
  • dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm - So I just logged on to Santander Online Banking using old details (I no longer have any accounts with them). I then followed the process to open a new Easy Access Savings Account as an existing customer. That appears to have worked.
    Either they have deliberately blocked new customers from opening one of these savings accounts or the application process on the website is broken.

It could be that the issue is already sold out as per bullet point 3 above.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback