Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Options

Comments

• valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Saying their sale items are non-returnable (unless faulty, of course) just means they are cutting their normal very generous refund policy back to the legal minimum for sale items. Which is of course perfectly within their right.

And I can see their point. If you're selling it that cheap you just don't want it back again. It's not worth handling time. So the prices are so low as to make it worth your while to take the chance that you'll change your mind on it. And on Wednesday, when the second round of reductions came through, the changing rooms were open so there's no excuse there not to try things on. Yes, it's a bloomin' pain, but no-one is forcing you to buy, you know.
    Val.
  • valk_scot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ems! wrote: »
    If they are changing the "unofficial policy" its only fair to let people know really otherwise no wonder it causes upset ( earlier on in the thread someone spent £100 on clothes that they couldn't return - I'd cry if that was me!) They were obviously purchased with the pre conceived idea that they could be returned.

Just my 2p!!

Thing is if you read that particular post carefully then you'll see that the person involved did not take them back WITH THE RECEIPT within the stated 90 day period. She was earlier offered a refund of the items at the current (lower) selling price because she could not prove she had paid the higher price without producing the receipt, which she did not have. So M&S were in fact very obviously keeping to their refund policy, which is displayed above every till point and given on the back of the receipt also.

It's not that M&S are refusing returns. Buy twenty dresses and take them home to try on by all means. Just bring them back (unworn, naturally) within 90 days and remember to keep the receipt for this. How hard is that?
    Val.
  • Ems!
    Ems! Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »

It's not that M&S are refusing returns. Buy twenty dresses and take them home to try on by all means. Just bring them back (unworn, naturally) within 90 days and remember to keep the receipt for this. How hard is that?

I agree with you .
    maybe i misunderstood the change in policy. I'd never buy a dress with the intention that i might be wanting to take it back and not keep the receipt!

Its the being able to take anything back and get a credit note without a receipt which seems to have changed>? I can understand why they would do this for the reasons mentioned above , ( ie thieves taking back items), its just the fact that every1 knows they have this generous policy, to withdraw without warning is a bit harsh imo.
  • valk_scot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ems! wrote: »
    I agree with you .

Its the being able to take anything back and get a credit note without a receipt which seems to have changed>? I can understand why they would do this for the reasons mentioned above , ( ie thieves taking back items), its just the fact that every1 knows they have this generous policy, to withdraw without warning is a bit harsh imo.

But they were going to give her (the lady with the £100 worth of stuff) a credit note, but only for the last known price of the items. This hasn't changed, as far as I'm aware. You've always needed the reciept to prove you bought the item at the higher price. That's why gift reciepts are so useful.
    Val.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a lot of people bought things they do not want!
    I remember years ago seeing a jumper in M&S that was clearly worn. I think people used to abuse the returns policy. If you do not like something or do not know the tastes of a person you are buying a gift for then keep your wallet firmly closed!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    I was in Hamilton on Wednesday and all the assistants were warning customers that the clothing items were not refundable...and writing this on the receipts. I wonder if it was just in Scotland.
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As said before when items get reduced to such a low price the policy for sale items changes and the item become non-refundable due to the cost of processing and at these times fitting rooms are open to let the customers try the items before they buy.

On the refund policy it has been in force for well over 2 years where by if you have a receipt and return it within the 90days you will get a refund to the value stated on the receipt, if the item is returned without a receipt a refund to the latest selling price will be given whether it is within the 90days or not. And a bank/credit card statement does not constitute proof of purchase only proof that you spent a certain amount in a store.
    This excludes food items which if are an unwanted gift will not normally be exchanged or returned but is at the discretion of the store
  • Bugalugs
    Bugalugs Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to say that I've only had good experiences in M&S. I bought a pan last year and when I was drying it after washing-up the handle came off in my hand. I (obviously?) hadn't kept the receipt but took it back in and they couldn't have been more helpful. They still had the same type of pan and I was more than happy to take an exchange.
    I bought a couple of dresses for £9 in the sale on Saturday. Couldn't be bothered trying them on (uggs, tights, umpteen layers) but it clearly said that these were 'Manager Final Reductions' and no refunds would be given unless items developed faults. They dont' look very nice on but I'll put that down to experience and sell them on ebay:o
    On a lighter note my friend's Gran is well-known in a certain Scottish town for trying to take back clothes that are at least as old as my friend :eek: and playing dumb until they give her a refund of some kind. I do think y:rotfl: ou have to have a certain 'sweet old lady' quality to get away with this!
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought id add my experiences.

I bought a pair of cords for my daughter last years winter sale for £3. Took them back a few days ago with no receipt. Would have been happy to have the £3 back. They gave me £12 - the original price!!!! Im happy.

I also was advised couldnt return sale items so i put back half of what i was going to buy cos i wasnt sure they would fit/the kids would like them. So less stuff shifted from this customer too.

I dont like their new policy of being so strict about receipt when they exclusively sell their own products. If its got a tag on it then it obviously comes from M and S so they should just refund and keep their customers happy.
  • silverchair
    Options
    Mum was shopping in Bluewater m&s and was told that the sale items were non refundable even with a receipt. With that she didnt bother buying any of the clothes.
    At Bromley they refunded my sale items without a problem.
    Its silly that they dont refund as you want to try them on at home without feeling rushed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure