Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Options

Comments

• spareshoe
    Options
    Elitist wrote: »
    Hello,

I've got 2 necklaces that I bought at the end of October for christmas presents for my sisters in law but in the end I had to buy them something different (don't even ask!). I've searched everywhere and I can't find my receipt (eventhough I can find the one for the sushi I bought in their foodhall on the same day, grrr!), I've got my bank statement and I know all the things that I bought that day that come to that amount, and as someone mentioned previously I know that it is possible for them to look up any transactions made regardless of whether it was on an M&S card or not, but is there any way I can persuade them to do this? Both of the items have gone into the sale now and are selling at less than half of what I paid for them, so I really don't want to take them back at their sale price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I forgot to say, I phoned up the branch that I bought the items at and explained the situation and that I have my statement etc and they said that my statement wasn't sufficient and I would only get sale value of them.

Hiya as far as I am aware you have up to 90 days to return for a refund, I'm sure thats what the girl said to me when I was returning items recently.
  • sarah84
    sarah84 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's down to the individual Sa. Some act like you are trying to take food out of their children's mouth when returning an item.

I work in retail (although not for m&s) and its down to the individual manager maybe, but the sales assistants are just doing what they've been told. Our managers have told us that we can't do anything without a receipt not even credit note, if we went against this we'd be disciplined. Honestly, I can imagine it makes absolutely no difference whether you get a refund or not to the vast majority of sa's, we just want an abuse-free day at work. :confused:
    If it hurts no-one, let it be :beer:
  • Elitist
    Elitist Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    spareshoe wrote: »
    Hiya as far as I am aware you have up to 90 days to return for a refund, I'm sure thats what the girl said to me when I was returning items recently.

They've said that I can still get a refund, but only at it's most recent value, they cost me £12 each to buy and in the sale they are down to less than £5 :(

I guess all I can do is ask, they can only say no :confused:
  • SPL
    SPL Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    ' My nearest M&S recently refused to refund a 'sales' item, even though I had a receipt and was well within the 90 days. The reason? 'We're no longer taking sales items purchased elsewhere.' There was no notice indicating this policy. I then had a journey of about 14 miles to return said item to its original store, where the sales assistant couldn't understand why my attempted return had been refused in the other store.'

I wonder if anyone else has had any experience the same as above and similar to this I had yesterday.

I bought some pyjamas for my son - and got two sizes as he is actually 3 but still so small and slim that many of his things are for those under 2!! - the girl on the till said to me that I would not be able to return them - even if I have my receipt as ' the reason we are reducing them is that we dont want them back'!! I decided to buy both pairs anyway as if the smaller ones fit him then he will grow into the bigger ones but if the bigger ones are right I can always give the others to my nephew etc.

However on my receipt it clearly states that I must keep the receipt for a full refund of the amount paid , it mentions the 90 day period and even specifies the actual date by which I must return the item by to get a refund - I am therefore tempted to try anyway just to work out what the policy is as I would be surprised if they were really excluding all sale items from a refund

any other experiences?? would be glad to hear
  • jilmad
    jilmad Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Normally it is soiled and damaged goods that are not eligable for a refund, and these would be marked as such when purchased.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought in the sale today in Preston. After I had paid, as I the SA handed my receipt she said, "No refunds on sale items". I explained to her that I am of course entitled to a refund on a faulty item, even if it is in the sale, unless the fault has been pointed out to me. And that, even saying that to me (even thought what she says has no legal authority or meaning) could, in fact, be construed as an offence. She looked at me as though I had two heads, and my sister scuttled off in embarrassment.

I have to say, I was gobsmacked. I've never had service like that in M&S before. Maybe she used to work in Primark and forgot where she was?

But then I got home and noticed that a couple of the sale items had been stamped on the labels - you know, like seconds are, only they weren't bought as seconds.

All very odd.
  • sarah84
    sarah84 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    But then I got home and noticed that a couple of the sale items had been stamped on the labels - you know, like seconds are, only they weren't bought as seconds.

Sales items are often stamped so that if they are returned, the store knows they were bought at the reduced price.
    If it hurts no-one, let it be :beer:
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In glasgow there are notices saying sale stuff cannot be refunded plus when you buy something they tell you you cant take it back. There is no mark on the clothes -which I know they have done in the past.

I have a cardy from my MIL which is not suitable so basically I wont be able to take it back unless I ask for the receipt? anyone know?

I must admit like above really unimpressed as if you buy in store £1 leggings you cant take back but if you buy same £1 leggings online you get 90 days? very odd and it definately puts you off buying stuff. I always buy loads cos I can take it back and often keep lots more than I intended. M&S must be going down hill I think -I only spent £12 for xmas, £360 2006 and £480 2005.
  • Saint_Nick
    Options
    In Braehead store they have large red signs at their clearance items which state that they are non returnable and will not be taken back if you simply change your mind. i.e you will have to tamper with them if they do not fit.

You will still be entitled to a refund if faulty
  • Ems!
    Ems! Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think the reason people have issue with this "change " in policy is not really the fact that M & S are refusing refunds per se, as many have said , that is their right ( apart from faulty goods etc), but more the fact that it is well known that M& S have a good returns policy - and they have traded on this for yrs - ie numerous examples on here of ppl buying clothes to try on at home etc. If they are changing the "unofficial policy" its only fair to let people know really otherwise no wonder it causes upset ( earlier on in the thread someone spent £100 on clothes that they couldn't return - I'd cry if that was me!) They were obviously purchased with the pre conceived idea that they could be returned.

Just my 2p!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport