Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• BargainJunky
    Options
    Last January I had a problem with my sons school coat which was purchased in the August and worn just after October half term. He had come home saying the zip would not do up so his dad tried to sort it and the clip bit disintegrated in his hands - a childs coat with a plastic clip painted silver to look metal!

I went to my local M&S with the coat expecting an arguement but they were very apologetic and gave me a full refund - to be honest I would have preferred a replacement coat as its virtually impossible to find boys Winter coats in January. I then trawled the shops trying to find a replacement found a total bargain in BHS for less than half what I had paid for the M&S one and to top it all it still fits him this Winter.

Whilst I was in M&S returning the coat a man was trying to get a refund for a very expensive looking leather/suede trim coat that he claimed had worn badly around the neck. He initially told the assistant that it was 12 months old then 2 years old and when a Supervisor appeared suddenly the coat was about 5 years old!!
  • notisis
    notisis Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 January 2015 at 10:20PM
    Options
    For those of you that purchased items online from M&S (or indeed any other store that also has an online presence) check out the distance selling regulations. I'm sure there is info on this site about the different rights you have as opposed to buying physically in store and which can give you better protection.

Now called Consumer Contracts Regulations - see here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange#buyingfromhome
  • locka
    locka Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks to all those who responded. I went back to the same store my mum brought it from. I initially had the same issue they where not willing to take back due to the items in side the bag could have been tampered with. When I asked as to why the store had given my 80 year mum a gift receipt I was told these where give with all purchases at Christmas. Which is strange as I've only ever had to ask for them as did my mum.

After having explain that they should not have miss lead my mum into believing that it was OK to return and I explained it would not leave until I got a refund. I managed to get a credit note which is better than nothing.

I fully understand there reasons for not wishing to offer the refund, just missing leading people in the first place
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    with regard to gift receipts,they are given as well as a normal receipt only have no price on them.when returning with a gift receipt the recipient will receive the exact same amount as was paid but in the form of a credit note.before xmas lots of offers were on knitwear and nightwear e.g 30% off 3 for 2 etc and even 50% off toys.The receipt when scanned shows and deducts these discounts,which surprisingly many customers don't recall being on.The assistant can only give a refund that is shown on the receipt not what is on the swing ticket as this is all that was paid.With regard to toiletries they can only be refunded if the package in intact,toiletries in a vanity bag with a zip will have a plastic tie through the zip ,once this is taken off the refund can't be done as the items inside could have been tampered with. Hope that clears up any problems
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • tanhauser
    Options
    Two months ago I was issued with a credit voucher by M&S for some returned goods. When I went to retrieve same from my wallet, the paperwork was blank. All ink faded. These vouchers are supposed to be valid for one year, so you would think that they would be printed in a manner fit for purpose. I had a long discussion with an M&S manager, and to be fair to M&S they will honour the voucher on my word. However the same manager did admit that 'fading' vouchers were a known issue and that their customer service staff have received a lot of complaints about same - however the company currently has no plans to remedy this situation. Either the ink is fading away, or the ink is rubbing off because a shiny coated paper is being used in till rolls. Either way, one would think that an organisation the size of M&S would be able swiftly to remedy a situation which must be causing both them, and their customers, needless problems!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tanhauser wrote: »
    Two months ago I was issued with a credit voucher by M&S for some returned goods. When I went to retrieve same from my wallet, the paperwork was blank. All ink faded. These vouchers are supposed to be valid for one year, so you would think that they would be printed in a manner fit for purpose. I had a long discussion with an M&S manager, and to be fair to M&S they will honour the voucher on my word. However the same manager did admit that 'fading' vouchers were a known issue and that their customer service staff have received a lot of complaints about same - however the company currently has no plans to remedy this situation. Either the ink is fading away, or the ink is rubbing off because a shiny coated paper is being used in till rolls. Either way, one would think that an organisation the size of M&S would be able swiftly to remedy a situation which must be causing both them, and their customers, needless problems!

My m&s doesn't give credit vouchers, they only give gift cards now so no chance of fading.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mahmut_karakis
    Options
    M&S credit receipts are given on purpose instead of refund because the most of the people forget to buy on time or they loose the receipt. In marketing is well known that most of the redemption tokens are not used and that is why given to customers.M&S is not giving refund and holds the money so it is interest free capital; for them even free money if customer could not purchase something on time.

I purchased shoes from Mark and Spencer. Shoe sole was cracked on both of pairs when I returned to store I asked them to exchange it. Customer service accepted it was manufacturing mistake but they refused to give me the same one. They had the same shoes but it was full price. So that they denied replacing it. I have been told that it was another model. Actually it was the same one. They refused to give my money back as well and I have given a credit receipt for a year. High street brands are giving refund immediately why M&S can not.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. M&S is n breach of contract by not refunding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure