Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Options

Comments

• RinTinTin
    RinTinTin Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2013 at 2:57PM
    Options
    Treevo wrote: »
    They didn't need to give you a refund at all so you should count yourself lucky.

Well actually they did since that's what M&S openly agrees to do.

If they were that bothered by people taking things back (for whatever reason) then they wouldn't. It's ridiculous to get upset with smartiepants for making a trade that's profitable for them... in case you haven't noticed M&S does that every day on a much larger scale. I can guarantee you they evaluate their own contractual options and take advantage wherever it benefits them too.

But when an individual does it it's some terrible crime?
  • smartiepants
    Options
    RinTinTin wrote: »
    Well actually they did since that's what M&S openly agrees to do.

If they were that bothered by people taking things back (for whatever reason) then they wouldn't. It's ridiculous to get upset with smartiepants for making a trade that's profitable for them... in case you haven't noticed M&S does that every day on a much larger scale. I can guarantee you they evaluate their own contractual options and take advantage wherever it benefits them too.

But when an individual does it it's some terrible crime?

Here here Rintintin, my sentiments exactly and that's the reason why I am not ashamed of our actions.
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • bubblegumcola
    bubblegumcola Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Options
    Tesson wrote: »
    It does say they will take back items in 'saleable condition' and as I say it's pristine... I just don't know if they consider the tags to be part of that saleable condition. I do have the tags, though obviously not attached.

It was a debit card and I do have a replacement. It was just renewed as normal because the old one hit its expiry date. I thought nothing of cutting it up because I wasn't expecting to have to return anything I had bought recently with it (silly, I know). It goes to the same account but I'm not sure if they need the card number to match or just to put the refund through the PIN machine?

Hopefully they will be understanding enough that its a replacement card, you paid with a debit card so it would go back on your replacement debit card. I have had the same scenario happen with a customer where I work and its been fine for me to do the refund on the new card. Where I work the card has to go into the pin machine for the refund, I've been told its correct banking procedure for us to do it that way. I've taken back lots of items without tags but with a receipt from customers as long as its perfect condition but I have had some right chances as well who have quite obviously worn items!. I guess it's down to the customer assistant you get on the day? I worked for M&S just when the policy changed so I'm not sure how strict they are these days. Keep calm, be nice to them behind the counter and hopefully you will get your refund.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2013 at 10:00PM
    Options
    I returned a duvet cover with a receipt after the material faded several shades after 2 washes. The store insisted on it being sent away to their head office for inspection.
    After hearing nothing after 5 weeks, I phoned only to find that the store had not given them any of my details to contact me.
    They also said they couldn't understand why the store had referred the item to them as it was a clear fault and they had the discretion to refund.
    They did however send me a little extra on top of the refund amount but after the long wait and lengthy phone calls I would expect it tbh.
  • kats53
    kats53 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I work in M&S have done for many years. You will be ok getting your refund Tesson if you have your receipt, it will just be put back onto your new card.
    Adandeem...I can't understand why this happened to you, the correct procedure should have been the item refunded and the the store would have sent the item in question back to the manufacturer.
  • markS_3
    markS_3 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand your comments, I bought the jacket at full price, had the original receipt and the debit card, surely I was entitled to a full refund for goods returned in the exact same condition as I bought them, I personally feel that to reduce the price by over a third the day after Christmas is appalling, if they had reduced it by £10 or £15 fair enough, but to immediately reduce it by so much is disgraceful and in my opinion dishonest as they are blatently hoping for people to return items without a receipt and only refund a portion of the original price paid like many of the previous posters have experienced thereby gaining massivley, I understand that there are unscrupulous cheats and thiefs out there, but surely M&S must have built that into the price of the goods in the first place (which we all have to pay for). I have simply played them at their own game, and am not ashamed of it.:rotfl:

So you bought something at a price you considered reasonable at the time and then found out they had subsequently reduced it. You got a refund of the full original price but your actual complaint is that they refused to allow you to both keep the original item and pocket the difference between the price you paid and the current price, and caused you personal inconvenience by forcing you to do the same as all the other shoppers who are looking for sales bargains have to do.

And you think that they shouldn't be allowed to make large reductions in their (massively advertised) Boxing Day sale on any items which you might have already bought.

Grow up !
  • Aspen78
    Aspen78 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 January 2013 at 2:37AM
    Options
    I bought a coat from them on Saturday, was unsure about the size, brought it home to try on with a jacket since they had a nice looking returns policy. It turned out to be a little too big even with a jacket so I brought it back on Monday completely pristine condition and with a receipt. They said I wore it for 1 day (Sunday) and now it was a used item and they can't take it back.

The poster on their store says nothing about being worn, or anything of the sort. It says "within 35 days, resealable condition and with a receipt". I satisfy all three conditions yet they were lecturing me about how I should have figured it was too big when I first tried it on etc.

What kind of a cheap miserable shop is this? Is there anywhere I can complain about this in the UK? I am not losing around 140 pounds on false advertising (changed your mind?, we accept returns...)

The guy literally told me that I should have changed my mind without putting it on and just by looking at it. Literally a circus.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand your comments, I bought the jacket at full price, had the original receipt and the debit card, surely I was entitled to a full refund for goods returned in the exact same condition as I bought them, I personally feel that to reduce the price by over a third the day after Christmas is appalling, if they had reduced it by £10 or £15 fair enough, but to immediately reduce it by so much is disgraceful and in my opinion dishonest as they are blatently hoping for people to return items without a receipt and only refund a portion of the original price paid like many of the previous posters have experienced thereby gaining massivley, I understand that there are unscrupulous cheats and thiefs out there, but surely M&S must have built that into the price of the goods in the first place (which we all have to pay for). I have simply played them at their own game, and am not ashamed of it.:rotfl:

I agree that large retailers scre.. us over all the time, so I can't see what's wrong with returning an item to get it at a cheaper price. If someone was returning a used jacket or trying to cheat some other way, then it would be wrong, but it's just a matter of applying their own policies to one's own advantage.
    If they have a generous return policy (well.. in theory at least) it's only because it gives them more business and it's profitable on the whole. JL and waitrose have built their success on being 'nice' shops.

On the other hand...
    I personally feel that to reduce the price by over a third the day after Christmas is appalling, if they had reduced it by £10 or £15 fair enough, but to immediately reduce it by so much is disgraceful and in my opinion dishonest as they are blatently hoping for people to return items without a receipt and only refund a portion of the original price paid like many of the previous posters have experienced thereby gaining massivley,
    ...I don't agree with, all stores have huge reductions right after Christmas and many people take advantage of them (and if we didn't we would be here complaining about the greedy stores not giving us good discounts...;) )
  • johnlewisham
    Options
    The store decor does state that you can bring it back without receipts, however in the full T&C's and policy for refunds, it's upto the stores discretion to refund the item and give out a credit voucher.

The store I work in, we always confirm with a manager and security if anyone comes back with an item over the value of £20 without receipt, a lot of shoplifters do this, steal items and then try and get a credit voucher to legitly buy other products.

This is why some M&S stores are strict on returns, the more shoplifters keep returning items without receipts actually harm legit customers who have lost their receipt, which means we refuse legit customers.

It's an on-going battle, but with new refund policies coming into action in the future, it'll be easier for legit customers to gain refunds/credit vouchers.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

The store I work in, we always confirm with a manager and security if anyone comes back with an item over the value of £20 without receipt, a lot of shoplifters do this, steal items and then try and get a credit voucher to legitly buy other products.

This is why some M&S stores are strict on returns, the more shoplifters keep returning items without receipts actually harm legit customers who have lost their receipt, which means we refuse legit customers.

Hmmm, why don't they just steal the item they want? Seems a bit long winded to me.
    Also, a receipt is not needed by law for faulty goods where it is clear where the goods came from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure