Awesome August's No-Spend Days Challenge!

Options
cathybird
cathybird Posts: 13,336 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
edited 31 July 2023 at 8:33PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
This challenge is all about helping people to save money by setting aside days every month where you deliberately don't spend unnecessary cash. Over the short term, it can help you have a more frugal month. Over the long term, if you stick with it, it can help change your mindset because you get out of the habit of frittering money away and start automatically holding off from spending instead. It also helps you delay purchases, which in turn means you lose interest in a lot of things you might otherwise impulse buy.

Another good thing with this challenge is we're all in it together, and people will help you on bad days and cheer you on on good days, and the support and accountability can really help make it easier to keep going with it. And if all else fails, there's always next month

To join, just post the number of no-spend days (NSDs) you're aiming for in August and you are on your way!

Tips for the challenge:
1. If you've never done the challenge before, it's probably simpler to start with a goal of 10 or (at most) 15.

2. It is fine to exclude necessary expenses eg petrol, groceries, pet food, etc, when it comes to deciding what is and isn't an NSD. It is also completely fine to exclude automated or recurring payments such as bills, mortgage or direct debits.

3. It does help to post every time you notch up an NSD, or at least every two or three days ... it's easy to lose track! If you want to keep track of your NSDs in your MSE signature, that can be really motivating too

4. It also helps to bookmark the thread, it's much easier to find.

5. NSDs are trickier than they seem and easily derailed. It can work better if you notch up as many days as you can in the first half of the month, or think of the month in thirds so if you're aiming for 10 NSDs, try to do 4 days in the first 10, 3 in the second and 3 in the third. And if you feel that you're falling behind, there's no shame in changing your target! Sometimes life just gets in the way, and the challenge should be fun, not a grind.

August

Off to a start = image
5 days = image

10 days = image

15 days = image
20 days = image Target reached = image Target beaten = image
In April I am taking a break from buying: Books

Comments

• cathybird
    edited 31 July 2023 at 12:09PM
    Options
    August targets
    beanielou 19
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar 10 cathybird 15 Crazycatlady2 Dizzy Imp GeorgianaCavendish 19 IndiJonesi jammy dodger KajiKita 15 lianne1984 LemonadeBudget 15 LittleMissDetermined 14 Makingabobor2 MrsCautious outoftheviciouscircle 15 QueenJess 15 Rupacomp 15 Saver-upper short bird 18 Newcomers welcome :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks @cathybird for the shiny new thread.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • outoftheviciouscircle
    Options
    I've been waiting for August to start this. Can I join with a target of 15 please.
    Debt Free Journey Began December 2022

Total Debt Repaid- £16,480.47/£66,133.42

Current Debt-£49,656.59

My Debt Free Wannabe Diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6411146/the-final-bite-of-the-cherry-journey-to-clear-66k#latest

• cathybird
    Options
    hi outoftheviciouscircle image and welcome image I've added you to the list, best of luck with the challenge! image
  • Rupacomp
    Rupacomp Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    After a pretty disastrous attempt in July, aiming for 15 again. 
    Savings goal by 31/12/24: £22000
    Dec 23: £6945.23
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    Thanks for starting the new thread @cathybird and welcome along to newbies :)
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2551.68 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £970/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £2422.48
  • cathybird
    edited 31 July 2023 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Rupacomp said:
    After a pretty disastrous attempt in July, aiming for 15 again. 
    Rupacomp, I think "disastrous" is not being fair to yourself, 9 is good, and any NSD is better than none. x :) 
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Loving the emojis for this month 🤩❤️
    I want the 20 NSDs one now …. 😂

KK
    As at 17.03.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £255,571, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 13 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 9th April)
    Produce tracker: £22.24 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    Checking in to declare this my first NSD of August. 
    LMD x
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2551.68 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £970/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £2422.48
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Kicking off with no 1 today. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback