PlusNet closing down

Options
goodValue
goodValue Posts: 390 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
After getting an email from PlusNet, I looked on this forum and saw the posts about them not allowing new customers.
However, the email said that they will soon be closing down:

We will be closing all our mobile services in the coming months. This means you’ll need to switch your service to another provider in the future.

They seem to be urging you to switch to EE but don't give any details - you have to phone to find out more.

Comments

• SaverRate
    SaverRate Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Use the MSE comparison tool https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-only-filters/

EE are generally expensive so wouldn't advise switching to them
    FTB - April 2020 
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Plusnet used the EE network, so it is no surprise that is who they recommend, so you will get the same coverage.

There are other providers that use the EE network, depending on your needs, I am now using 1p mobile and happy with them.  RWG is another that often gets recommended here, but they don't yet offer wifi calling, if that is important to you (1p mobile do)

If you don't need EE coverage then there are loads more providers to choose from if the other providers give the coverasge tht you need.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Plusnet and EE are both owned by BT so it's hardly surprising that one recommends the other!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Plusnet and EE are both owned by BT so it's hardly surprising that one recommends the other!
    I was going to say that! So I won't now. . .  I'm with BT and they're always trying to get me to switch to EE. I won't, not even if Kevin Bacon tries to make me.   :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    BT mobile are not accepting new customers, so I expect their existing customers to get emails about service ending soon too.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BT mobile are not accepting new customers, so I expect their existing customers to get emails about service ending soon too.
    My daughters phone was with BT and over 2 years ago she was told to swap to EE and to sweeten it, the EE deal she was offered was lower price and more data than she had been paying BT.  I am surprised 2 years later BT still have some mobile customers.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    goodValue said:
    After getting an email from PlusNet, I looked on this forum and saw the posts about them not allowing new customers.

We will be closing all our mobile services in the coming months. This means you’ll need to switch your service to another provider in the future.

They seem to be urging you to switch to EE but don't give any details - you have to phone to find out more.
    I'm curious to hear this, we've got four SIM only contracts with Plusnet and haven't heard anything about services ending. Sounds like I'm going to be shopping around soon for new deals...
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May 2023 at 9:31AM
    Options
    goodValue said:

I'm curious to hear this, we've got four SIM only contracts with Plusnet and haven't heard anything about services ending. Sounds like I'm going to be shopping around soon for new deals...
    Similar here with two SIM only deals - nothing at all via email or text.
    EDIT And nothing on the account web page - in fact ,it appeared as if I could upgrade !
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just checked PN forums - nobody has posted re such an email?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2023 at 9:52AM
    Options
    goodValue said:

Similar here with two SIM only deals - nothing at all via email or text.
    EDIT And nothing on the account web page - in fact ,it appeared as if I could upgrade !
     I have not had any personal notification and updated my contracts last month, the only real difference noticeable is that they are not offering 12mth - only 30 day - contracts. The only official announcement seems to be here.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback