To regift or not to regift...

MSE_Laura_F
MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,567
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
Over the years we've had several threads on regifting:
Some say it's a great thing to do, so long as you don't commit the faux pas of gifting it back to the original gifter! Others are against the concept of regifting in general. In 2023, where do we stand on regifting? And do you have any MoneySaving regifting success stories? And any failures?

I once received a candle from someone - the same candle I'd gifted their family member a year before. No hardship though - it was a gorgeous candle.

Comments

• I don't have any problem with re-gifting as a rule.  However, I worked for someone years ago who said 'this year I'm going to have to cut back on the costs Christmas presents for staff'. That translated into me getting an opened bottle of port (less roughly a glassful), and colleagues receiving an out of date box of petits fours and a cookbook with a written inscription to the boss from her best friend dated 4 years previous. I think I did best :D
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi OP

We would never regift anything from our kids  and other than that

Regifting, if you feel ok about it, regift it, no drama other than not back to original.

Going to events and gifting puts me off becuse everyone has a personal tasted and depth of pocket and imo, gifts are often wasted on most people. So rather than keep it in a drawer and then give it to charity, regift!

Thnaks

• kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,665
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Give it back to the original giver - if they gave it to you, they clearly think it's a gift worth having.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,081
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Far less of an issue now I buy and receive  for fewer people - no work colleagues, not as many extended family members, no friends children.

IF anything does ever get put aside for re-gifting, it's because it's been part of a set (especially toiletries) and though I may love the brand there may be the odd item in it, I don't use/dislike. Something like a body lotion/handcream may end up re-gifted that way - that's if it's not given away, donated, sold during the year instead. It would be more likely to become part of a larger gift to someone else though, eg I might make a gardening hamper for someone and include an unwanted unused hand cream to go in it. 
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,289
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    I will re gift presents I have been given that are not suitable for me. As long as you do not give it to the person you had it from.
    Other things to do with unwanted gifts are;  sell them - or send to a charity shop.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• 2Scratters
    2Scratters Posts: 912
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Obviously not to go back to the gifter, I have no issue in forwarding it on - it is mine to do with how I please. I would rather do what ever way seems best so it is not wasted and hopefully it is more successfully received. 
    Anything is better than nothing-check back and see On the declutter journey 2023 with Mrs SD Tilly Tidy 2023 YTD 14.98
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,190
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 March 2023 at 11:28AM
    I thankfully don't have to worry about regifting, The only gifts I receive is ones that I want.

I've never seen the point of being given a gift and say how wonderful it is even it you hate it ( you might get more like it in the future)
    I just tell them it's not to my taste and hopefully they can get a refund.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • nickkohl
    nickkohl Posts: 21
    First Post
    Forumite
    regifting is a family tradition in my family. we make it a competition to see how many times same gift can be circulated between christmas, birthdays before finally being pawned of onto unsuspecting friends or last resort yard sale
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback