What are your thoughts on regifting?

Options
I was just wondering what people thought on this as money is very tight this year for me, & I have been thinking about giving my sister a perfume I know she really likes, that was given to me earlier on this year but I'm not so keen on it...

It still has the original box etc & is unused besides 1 test spray to see if I like it! I would obviously dust it off so I hope she wouldn't realise it's a regift.

Is this ok or is this tacky? My only other option is spending a very small on amount on something I'm not so sure she'd like as much.

Perni x
:idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
:dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
100% paid off!
:think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
:D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
23.52% Saved!

Comments

• mumslave
    mumslave Posts: 7,531 Forumite
    Options
    In this day and age, most people are in the same boat. I am sure your sister would love your gift. A gift is not about how much money is spent on it, its about thought.

For my nephews birthday I gave him a load of vtech vsmile games that my kids had grown out of. His mum knew they were second hand but was delighted, as was he, because he only had one game of his own to play on his console. The thought it what counts.
    :starmod:Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1189:starmod:
  • elysia2003
    elysia2003 Posts: 5,155 Forumite
    Options
    Shhhh. Don't tell anyone, but I think most people regift anyway. ;) If you feel guilty about it, sell it on ebay and buy her something with the proceeds. Even used bottles of perfume go for almost full price on there.
    I :heartpuls M.S.E.
    :DMortgage Free 18/01/10 13 years and 8 months early on a 20 year mortgage! :D
  • SeaBee
    SeaBee Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a problem with it and do it all the time.

Anything I get double of or isn't really "me" goes into a drawer under the bed. Sometimes there will be things in sets that I won't use like loofahs or body scrub which will be used as part of a pamper hamper.

I keep a list of who gave what so they don't get it back again :eek:
  • hellokitty08
    hellokitty08 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just go for it and dont worry. About 50% of the xmas presents I am giving this year come from Bootsales, so thats re gifting too! Every Single one of them brand new in its original packaging, including Cool Waters gift set, Estee Lauder gift set, Sanctuary Set, etc
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • donquine
    donquine Posts: 695 Forumite
    Options
    I'd rather receive something out of the original packaging that I liked, than something shrinkwrapped that I would never use! Why not regift the perfume and give your sister a little token gift to go with it - if you really can't afford much, handmade gingerbread decorations wouldn't cost a lot to make and would keep well in an old takeaway lidded box.
  • spugzbunny
    spugzbunny Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    I always regift a few of my presents each year. A lot go to my Mum! It's no different to buying things at the charity shop or boot sale or even in the sales!
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    dont feel bad a bout it i often do this and just recently my best friends little girl had her 5th bday and she loves polly pocket but it is so expensive so i spent a couple of weeks previous on ebay buying up odd bits and bobs popped it in a box and gave it her and her mum says she loves it and uses it all the time. cost me about £15 all together but if i would to have bought it in argos i would have been looking at over £50 easy
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • cookiedough38
    Options
    I regift too! I am with everyone else on the fact most people do!
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I thought everyone did!! I'm fine with regifting, and i also buy second hand jewellery for people off ebay because i get better quality for my money!! I've earmarked about five presents to regift this year!!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    it is the way to go it kills me if i ever have to pay full price for anything especially when it is easy to hunt around and get bargains
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure