Emerald Airlines - ignoring my claim.

Options
Long story short, flight BHD -> LBA cancelled on 11 Sept 2022 due to 'Technical Issue' just as we were about to board, we were moved to another flight the following day (around 21hrs later) and put up in a hotel by AerLingus.  We are a family of 4, daughter (5) missed a day of school because of it.

I raised a claim via AerLingus website for a small amount of subsistence + 4x the £220 compensation, after much chasing Aer Lingus have passed the case on to Emerald Airlines, who are completely ignoring all my attempts to get an update.  I've just now raised a complaint with the CAA.

Has anyone dealt with Emerald before and had a positive outcome?

Comments

• iloveroyalmail
    Options
    This is exactly what has happened to us. 
    Flight cancelled as we stood in the queue waiting to check in on 26/12.
    aer lingus are passing the buck saying it’s emerald we need to deal with but emerald are ignoring us.
    I emailed the CAA yesterday but their reviews on Google don’t look very good.
    am thinking of a small claims court as last resort if CAA can’t sort it.
    if you look on Facebook aer lingus have a complaint action group and there are lots of us on there in the same boat.
    emerald are blanking everyone. 
    Hope you get it sorted.
  • Johnster
    Johnster Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2023 at 11:54AM
    Options
    Reading these two posts I now realise why Emerald are ignoring my emails now that Aer Lingus have passed me on to them

Are Emerald ATOL registered? Can I do anything via them?

As I paid Aer Lingus surely my breach of contract is with them?

Thanks, John 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Emerald Airways is an Irish airline who operates flights under a marketing agreement with Aer Lingus.

An airline only seat purchase is rarely ATOL protected. Besides which they are Irish. The ATOL a scheme is run by the U.K. Civil Aviation Authority.

If complaining it is important to follow the correct complaint process. Here is a link to Emerald Airways which did not take too long to find on Google. https://www.emeraldairlines.com/customer-compensation

To the poster whose flight was cancelled on 26 December, presumably claiming (to Aer Lingus not Emerald) after Christmas/New Year holidays, I don’t think you have allowed enough time before escalating.  The U.K. CAA can’t help, it would the the Irish regulator - but you are far too early for that route.  Ditto the small claims route.

File the claim correctly and wait patiently.
  • SaverRate
    SaverRate Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 January 2023 at 4:02PM
    Options
    When I booked through Aer Lingus and the Emerald flights were delayed meaning I had to book other flights to get there when I needed to, I claimed through Aer Lingus and they paid out some of the money. I chased the rest and they ignored me!

I avoid both of them now at all costs. 

Edit - The rebooked flights were with Ryanair and whilst many complain about them I was more comfortable on their planes than the Emerald planes and both flights were ontime and the staff were very friendly. 
    FTB - April 2020 
  • redmamoth
    redmamoth Posts: 9 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Update - Emerald Airlines finally reached out after I raised a separate claim via their website (thanks @Westin). They final paid the 1000 Euro I was owed into my bank account last week.

I also attempted to claim the out-of-pocket expenses I was owed for the extra 24h in Belfast (breakfast, lunch etc) but was completely ignored. Having recouped the bulk of the claim I'm done chasing them now.
  • rbk201
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to the forum, but having the same problem. Booked Glasgow to JFK, via Dublin with Aer Lingus on 26/12. Flight from GLA to DUB was delayed by 90 minutes, causing us to miss our connection in Dublin. We were rebooked on a flight from DUB to JFK that departed 5 hours and 25 minutes later than our original flight, we arrived at our final destination more than 5 hours later than scheduled. From everything i have read on the Money Saving Expert site, this qualifies us for £520 compensation per person. 

I started by completing a form on the Aer Lingus site. They passed me on to Emerald Airlines. They have just replied to say that there was only a 90 minute delay and therefore I don't qualify for compensation. I don't think this is right but don't know what to do next. I also tried the Irish Aviation Authority, but they said to contact the CAA, as Ireland was only stop-over country (so doesn't count I guess?). 

I looked at the link posted above for the Emerald Airlines compensation form - it asks for bank details but doesn't ask for any information on the flight delays. Is this right? 

What can I do next? 
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rbk201 said:
    Flight from GLA to DUB was delayed by 90 minutes, causing us to miss our connection in Dublin. 
    the key question on whether compensation would be due is 'what was the reason for the delay?'

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Westin said:
    Emerald Airways is an Irish airline who operates flights under a marketing agreement with Aer Lingus.

An airline only seat purchase is rarely ATOL protected. Besides which they are Irish. The ATOL a scheme is run by the U.K. Civil Aviation Authority.

If complaining it is important to follow the correct complaint process. Here is a link to Emerald Airways which did not take too long to find on Google. https://www.emeraldairlines.com/customer-compensation

To the poster whose flight was cancelled on 26 December, presumably claiming (to Aer Lingus not Emerald) after Christmas/New Year holidays, I don’t think you have allowed enough time before escalating.  The U.K. CAA can’t help, it would the the Irish regulator - but you are far too early for that route.  Ditto the small claims route.

File the claim correctly and wait patiently.
    Being pedantic as OP has sorted it, but anything from NI to UK would be operated for legal reasons by Emerald Airlines UK, which is incorporated in Belfast.

These are legally separate airlines.
    💙💛 💔
  • mhardaker
    Options
    I have a claim against Emerald airlines as well dating back to December 2022. I initially sent it to Aer Lingus who forwarded to Emerald airlines. I have since sent a message to Emerald airlines but have not got a reply.What is the next step? 
  • MCQUEG
    MCQUEG Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi, I was delayed by 3 hours in April 2023 from BHD to EDI, and Aer Lingus sent me a link to submit my claim. Once the claim was submitted, Aer Lingus acknowledged my claim, but said that they had forwarded it to Emerald Airlines for processing, but to allow them more time, as they had a big backlog. After emailing Emerald Airlines 3 times, without even a reply, I was looking for how to escalate my claim and found this thread. After using the link from Westin above, I filled in the form on Emerald Airlines website directly. They acknowledged my claim immediately by automated response. Within 2 hours, they then replied to me, apologised for my delay and advised that they were processing a 250 euro payment to me, and to allow 10-14 days for this. I had emailed them on Tue 23/5/23 and then money hit my bank on Sat 27/5/23. Result and many thanks to Westin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback