Do EDF Install Economy 10 Meters and other Energy help questions

Options
bery_451
bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 January 2023 at 1:35AM in Energy
Hello,

Phoned EDF and they say they don't do Economy 10 for Residential anymore, only for commercial. Even tried asking for Economy 7 but they say they stopped fitting that like 15 years ago as its outdated they say. They say they can only offer a smart meter installation. Can anyone confirm this is the case now? If not how do you get a economy 10 meter?

The hardship grants/funds offered by energy suppliers, for example British Gas says it offers Max £1500 however does this mean you will get this max amount or does your energy account balance has to be in negative debt of -£1500 to qualify for this max £1500 grant and you are also required to show proof to see a debt advisor regarding this -£1500 debt to qualify for this grant? If so that's like not paying your energy bills of like an average bill of £250 for 6 months for a average home to be in negative -£1500 debt balance and I'm sure within those 6 months of non-payment the energy company would have proceed to debt collection/bailiffs before you got a chance to apply for that £1500 full grant help right? Anyone please correct me if any of my understanding is incorrect.

Cheers,

Comments

• Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EDF still do Economy 7 but it will be a smart meter and will only be installed if there is communication to the meter. 
    With regards to hardship funds, I believe they are paid to people in arrears to their energy company and it usually is the amount of the balance to clear it not to put you in credit. They tend to be paid to those who try to help themselves, not those who just don’t pay at all so you can’t just not pay your bills for months & get it cleared, you need to be seen to be trying 
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dont know when this was written but it seems to indicate that E10 suppliers are getting a bit thin on the ground - https://energysanity.com/economy-10-suppliers/#:~:text=Economy 10 suppliers 1 Green Energy UK 2,Octopus) 4 Npower (acquired by E.ON) More items
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    From a previous thread you are using gas CH, so why do you think E7 would be your best option? 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phoned EDF and they say they don't do Economy 10 for Residential anymore, only for commercial. Even tried asking for Economy 7 but they say they stopped fitting that like 15 years ago as its outdated they say. They say they can only offer a smart meter installation. Can anyone confirm this is the case now? If not how do you get a economy 10 meter?
    They would have stopped fitting the old circuit switching style E7 15 or so years ago but they were happily issuing digital meters that supported e7 before the switch to smart meters, which also have E7 capability.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    E10 is a legacy tariff. No one has supported it for 'new' for many years now.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Astria
    Astria Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bery_451 said:
    Hello,

The hardship grants/funds offered by energy suppliers, for example British Gas says it offers Max £1500 however does this mean you will get this max amount or does your energy account balance has to be in negative debt of -£1500 to qualify for this max £1500 grant and you are also required to show proof to see a debt advisor regarding this -£1500 debt to qualify for this grant? If so that's like not paying your energy bills of like an average bill of £250 for 6 months for a average home to be in negative -£1500 debt balance and I'm sure within those 6 months of non-payment the energy company would have proceed to debt collection/bailiffs before you got a chance to apply for that £1500 full grant help right? Anyone please correct me if any of my understanding is incorrect.

Cheers,

If you want to use any type of time-of-use tariff such as those equivalent to Economy 7 then you need to have a smart meter fitted. Older meter units may still be in operation but will not be fitted any more.
    Energy providers may require proof of income and proof of outgoings (eg. bank statements, benefit entitlements) to offer hardship grants. They are not just available to anyone who asks for them, only for those that genuinely can't afford, and so are offered on a case-by-case basis. You don't have to be in debt to claim them.
  • bery_451
    Options
    Mobtr said:
    EDF still do Economy 7 but it will be a smart meter and will only be installed if there is communication to the meter. 
    With regards to hardship funds, I believe they are paid to people in arrears to their energy company and it usually is the amount of the balance to clear it not to put you in credit. They tend to be paid to those who try to help themselves, not those who just don’t pay at all so you can’t just not pay your bills for months & get it cleared, you need to be seen to be trying 
    Okay just to clarify there is no actual Economy 7 meter fitted in the property, but its now done on a smart meter? Do you mean communication to the Economy 7 meter or to a normal meter?

Do you happen to know any energy supplier that do Economy meters but not digitally through a smart meter? What it is I would like a smart meter but from what I seeing on TV about the government new proposals to reduce global warming co2 is to introduce a carbon tax, a carbon credits system by estimate 2025 where energy users buy carbon credits to offset their carbon footprint and smart meters knows how much carbon your property produces in g grams. For example showering twice a day produces more co2 than a person who showers once a day because gas boiler heats the water resulting in more emissions from the boiler so the government may introduce a law where you required to buy carbon credits to offset your excess co2 emissions. Maybe 1 carbon credit may offset 10grams of carbon dioxide co2, who knows what system the government has in place in future but what one thing that we all know and we can agree on is smart meters are called smart because they are smart for a reason.
  • bery_451
    Options
    Dont know when this was written but it seems to indicate that E10 suppliers are getting a bit thin on the ground - https://energysanity.com/economy-10-suppliers/#:~:text=Economy 10 suppliers 1 Green Energy UK 2,Octopus) 4 Npower (acquired by E.ON) More items
    You reckon E10 is being phased out to bring in more profits for energy companies as millions of people in the UK now are in energy poverty now and E10 meters is the way out of this poverty but bring in less profits for the energy companies if they gave those in poverty E10 so its in the energy companies shareholder interests to phase Economy meters out?
  • bery_451
    Options
    From a previous thread you are using gas CH, so why do you think E7 would be your best option? 
    Economy 7 or 10 can still save money as the fridge is running 24/7, also in those off peak hours in Economy 7 or 10 you can use electric heaters to warm up your property instead of gas CH which works out to be cheaper right?
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 10 January 2023 at 3:02PM
    Options
    bery_451 said:
    Mobtr said:

Do you happen to know any energy supplier that do Economy meters but not digitally through a smart meter? 
    Might be worth asking SSE/OVO if they are able to fit economy 10 meter if you are willing to pay installation fee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback