EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

Debt free and staying that way while I re-evaluate life and keep blood sugar levels down

edited 30 March at 12:52PM in Debt free diaries
149 replies 8.7K views

Replies

• redofromstartredofromstart Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I laughed so much at your post on @EssexHebridean diary that I came to find yours.
     Posting so I can follow.
    3.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Last time I touched spirits was during Euro 96, and yes the hangover was That Bad. 
  • Humdinger1Humdinger1 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks again @redofromstart! I am so thrilled that the authors of so many diaries that I follow have found mine. This is a fab community.  Xx
    3.5K Posts
    Forumite
    I found that because I had been commenting on other peoples diaries, they paid me a courtesy visit, and it snowballs from there. I haven't got a lot of free time these days (hurrah for £ but boo for socials) but I have always found the comments of others so helpful and motivating even if they don't quite match my mindset.
  • edited 4 January at 12:02PM
    foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 January at 12:02PM
    Interesting debate on here this morning, to which I'm adding while on my coffee break.
    Yes, personal customers & named bank managers. I'm sure I told this tale ages ago on my first DFW diary, but it is a good example. I also  started my first degree course in 1982. By the end of Spring term 1983, I was in overdraft (yes, the one which lasted for nigh on 24 years!). I kept spending & was soon in unofficial overdraft as I'd surpassed my limit & needed to extend it. This involved a formal appointment with Mr Jenkins, the branch manager. He took me into his office & buzzed through to ask for copies of my last few statements to be brought. This sticks in my mind partly because I had a horrendous cold at the time & actually sat there with a loo roll in my lap! He looked at my statements & said "Hmmmm, you do alright for a short while, then you seem to go mad'. He told me my spending patterns were very erratic.. I sat there like a poorly snot.monster & practically had to beg for an overdraft extension. I got one, but he made it clear it was the bank's money. I found the experience humiliating...but not sufficiently so to trigger an LBM at 19 instead of 43. 
    Four years later, I remember being home for a few days. My Mum went to answer the phone & I heard her say "Is that Mr Jenkins? Yes, that's my younger daughter. She'll be home next week. I'll tell her to telephone you & make an appointment". That was 4 or 5 years later, but still the norm to have to arrange overdrafts/extensions with the branch manager, as both my sister & I found out! In fact I laughed at my sister & said that at least Mr Jenkins had never phoned me at home!
    With hindsight, I kind of wish he hadn't agreed the extra overdraft as a serious financial crunch might have scared me into bucking my ideas up.
    Different times.
    F

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)