Energy Price Cap announcement: Watch Martin Lewis explain what it means for your electricity and gas bills this winter
DrCarrie's adventures in saving to be a mortgage-free wannabe
in Mortgage-free wannabe
31 replies 2.2K views
Latest MSE News and Guides
Energy Price Cap change
Martin Lewis on what it means for youMSE News
Best £1 you've ever spent?
Share your most impressive bargainsMSE Forum
New MSE Forum avatars available
Try 'em out nowMSE Forum
Fun and Frolic in the cheap seats
- Been to see my daughter, had fun times watching Die Hard films, and cooing together.
December 2022 review
Overall I deposited £1722.87 in the house deposit pot. - However, I have a weekend away at the end of the month and am likely to need to dip into that pot.
- I had a windfall from the power company of £67 (I am still dialing down the usage - but keeping this for a potential hike in my bills).
- I saved £296 from my commute budget and that is now in my house deposit pot
Then I am digging in for the first quarter of 2023. I am signing up with a company tomorrow to get some extra work.
Fun and Frolics in the Cheap Seats
- This week this has been walking, walking, and walking - but included a day trip to Chicester to look around the cathedral, in particular the art, and first thing this morning to see the day dawn on the new year.
Successes from last year
Hopes for the Year ahead
Emergency fund €2k/€2k
House deposit €8700/€25k
So, so far this year have been shocked by the price of food in particular...it just seems to have jumped up considerably. Need to get my coffee delivery - I have £25 Amazon voucher for being an employee of the month back in the summer.
In addition to this, I am scraping around for funds for Fun and Frolics in the Cheap Seats, some that are not all that cheap too.
I have a fair bit booked in now and had lovely drinks with my friend on the 2nd of Jan, but it was not cheap at all! I have been walking and booked a couple of meetups. Bought the flights for my weekend in Dublin and turned down a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales. Given my financial targets, I have to be really focussed on how long its been since I have seen someone and the relationship. The weekend in Dublin- I haven't seen 2 of the people since 2018 so they are a priority. We did our doctorate together, Also my 1st step mother (I have had 3!) My sisters, my daughter and my best friend. My dad is only an hour away.
Last week I tracked and put in the pot £1.06 in TT / round-ups and £1.18 in interest, and 4 NSDs. No too shabby.
I have been very focussed on food and walking - food the target is to eat 30 plants a week, and walking is about consistency, not boom and bust. I am challenging myself to walk 2023 km this year, I love walking but I have lost stamina so for the time being I am focussed on an average of 2.5 miles a day - with walking everyday.
Fun and Frolics
- Hot toddies in the uber-cool cocktail bar in Brighton
- Fabulous walk exploring a wood that I had not been to before - looking forward to seeing the changes of the turning of the seasons.
I have my performance review today at work and hopefully, a little pay rise bump will arrive as a result.
Back to the commute after Christmas break and the strikes tomorrow.
Now that I am using the credit card (and feeding that payment pot) there is less opportunity for roundups, in fact none this week, the TT was 90p this week. Had the windfall of the refund from the power company of £67. 5 NSD's - partly because I didn't go out the door all weekend.
Fun and Frolics in the cheap seats
- walking across London Bridge x 4 - I just love it, the view towards tower bridge and the lights ❤️
- My boss bought me a pint on Thursday
- went to a cinema meetup in Lewes on Friday