We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Octopus Saving Session

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    dander said:
    Well, my results are in... 
    Where did you find out? In my Octopus account it still says they are "running the numbers".

On the "in day adjustment",  surely the main reason for this is to stop people making money when they are on holiday or otherwise away from home? If there's no adjustment based on usage that day then I can go on holiday, sign up for a saving session just afterwards and my usage in the saving period will obviously be lower than average without me even trying.
    The main reason stated for the in day adjustment is to correct for weather.  If the day was colder than usual, they want to give you an allowance for extra energy before they assume you save nothing.  Similarly, if the day was warmer than usual, they would want to pay you for saving something that you wouldn't have used anyway (which is the point you are making).
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2022 at 9:19AM
    Options
    I earned 46 pence. I'll still do it to do my bit but it's really not going to be worth it for my own benefit. I'm not going to turn the router or the fridge off, everything else will get turned off each time.

I only got smart meters on 4th November, so just in time.
  • jessmist
    jessmist Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We only managed to save 18p 
    Bit disappointed in that. See what we get next time.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like they are going to have to revise the methods of calculation to prevent gaming of the system as per some of the earlier posts!
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jessmist said:
    We only managed to save 18p 
    Bit disappointed in that. See what we get next time.
    Much better than us we saved zero. we use very little after 4pm, being retired we cook earlier and just have a sandwich later.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Options
    We saved 60%... for a reward of 23p. Not convinced it's worth going round turning everything off for that. Because we're on Octopus Go and already use our washing machine and dishwasher overnight, not much to load shift, which I suppose is what this is really aimed at.
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm still baffled as to how they've calculated the result. It doesn't quite equate to how people were assuming the in day adjustment would work. I need to spend some time crunching the numbers in different ways to see if I can figure out their methodology. I'm reasonably happy with my 93p though. I'm more interested in the overall reduction in demand. 
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    Options
    My page has now updated to tell me that it was a 9% saving that earned me my 8p. So on that reckoning if I turned everything off so I was using zero electricity, the maximum cashback I could earn would be 89p. I'm a happy Agile user - putting my more expensive appliances on when the prices are lower works really well for me. Sitting in the dark for a random hour, not so much!  :D
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Petriix said:
    I'm still baffled as to how they've calculated the result. It doesn't quite equate to how people were assuming the in day adjustment would work. I need to spend some time crunching the numbers in different ways to see if I can figure out their methodology. I'm reasonably happy with my 93p though. I'm more interested in the overall reduction in demand. 
    No, I didn't agree with how someone here worked out the Adjustment. I shall look at it again and play around with a spreadsheet and see if I can match their result. I was pretty close with my pre-result attempt but not close enough.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 November 2022 at 12:11PM
    Options
    I'll post my figures, might help someone trying to work out the method

Total for 5-6pm in previous 10 weekdays = 2.145/10 = 0.2145kWh average
    Tuesdays use 1pm-4pm  0.21 + 1.46 + 1.61 = 3.28kWh
    Tuesday 4-5pm 0.01
    Tuesday 5-6pm, Saving Session I used 0.

I got £2.67 reward
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport