We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

We will get this debt down & the savings up

1…134136138139140

Comments

  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 26,272
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I started with a sneeze trapped in my nose feeling on Friday and then the aches started. It just feels like a cold coming out now though. I hope your snuffly feeling disappears soon.

    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 5,002
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    DH has a day off today. He is driving me mad already! That's all I'm saying for now!

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys October £ 64.19

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  443/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 22 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 26,272
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Oh dear 😬Hope the day gets better as it goes on.

    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 13,753
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Oh dear….that's not sounding good. I think myself very lucky that Mr F & I work well as a team. The only problem which sometimes arises is that we are both overthinkers & when you've got two overthinkers working on the same issue/plans/problem, it can get to a point where I say, "I'm not discussing this for longer than 30 minutes". We laugh about it, but while the planning & being organised side of being an overthinker can be a blessing, the attention to micro-detail is more of a curse.

    2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
    2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
    Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 5,002
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I think the way you talk about MR FG @foxgloves, he sounds like an ideal husband….he cooks, does projects of his own accord and still works full time. My DH still works full time, but seems to think that is all he has to do, and any projects I talk about, although he wants to get them done, he always says he doesn't have time, or was planning on doing stuff on his computer/playing his guitar etc.. The only stuff he seems to do of his own accord, is fixing his bike and cleaning the pond. Although we do always get everything done, it does sometimes take me a long time to get him to do them, The recent garden project that we started…and 99% finished, at the weekend, has been an idea of his for about 3 years, and I eventually got so fed up with him talking about it, I told him he had to get on with it, or I would be calling in a professional….obviously that would have cost more money, so he got it done. The thing is, he is very good at all things DIY etc, he just sometimes needs a kick up the backside….LOL

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys October £ 64.19

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  443/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 22 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 5,002
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Well we eventually went out to BEE 'N 'EMs yesterday to look for reduced garden bits, but they had completely taken all their garden bits out and replaced it with C********!!!! Far too early for biscuits, chocolates, hot chocolate etc IMHO. So we nipped to BEE 'N' Q instead and found a few solar lights reduced for end of season. Also a trellis that I needed for a Clematis I bought earlier this summer, that has gone mad. No flowers this year, but loads of leaves and growing tall. So hoping for flowers next year, never grown one before, so need to read up on them….unless anyone has any tips? Everything was covered by the house and garden pot.

    So DH is back at work today, and I walked to the hairdressers this morning. Managed to get there and back between showers and then the sun came out so got some washing out on the line. Then had a Mr S delivery, got a cheap saver slot. This is week 1 of our new 4 week budget period, so I tend to buy a bit more in the first week and some things that we prefer from Mr S, or can't get in L!d!. Probably the rest of the month's shopping will be in L!d!, which I can pick up when I go to my dancing class each week. . Had some N*ct*r points to use as well.

    Done a couple of good studies on P/fc today, and should have a good bit to cash out later.

    I'm really cross with G's W magazine. I took out the summer subscription to get the 2 for 1 entry to some gardens, and then cancelled the subscription in plenty of time. They have taken the money for the new subscription! I have contacted them via their online page, and awaiting a reply. It says they aim to reply within 72 hours. If they don't I will need to ring them. I hate it when companies do this, its such bad customer service and wastes such a lot of time and money.

    Just need to message my friend in Spain now, and then think about dinner.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys October £ 64.19

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  443/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 22 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 5,002
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Lovely morning with the sun coming up and the sky looks amazing.

    So today's plans are to hoover through quickly, peg out washing, go to gym, nip to garden centre, do some bits in garden, do meal plan, do as many studies/surveys as possible. Best get cracking then….

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys October £ 64.19

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  443/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 22 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 310
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    your approach to surveys is really commendable!


    Hope the day goes well and you get all your activities done!

  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 5,002
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks @abaka . The surveys do make such a difference, especially P/fc. Just have to remember to keep track of it to declare to HMRC if you go over the £1K a year.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys October £ 64.19

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  443/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 22 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 310
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I’d be lucky if I make over £50 a year as at this point I’ve only got YouGov going haha.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.