We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

We will get this debt down & the savings up

1…133135137138139

Comments

  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    So last night I ended up going to bed early and not even reading any of my book. Started with a headache mid afternoon and by the time we had dinner I had a right migraine, flashing lights and feeling sick. I very rarely get anything like that, so felt really off and decided the only way was to sleep it off. No idea what caused it, unless I had scrolled on phone too much ( but don't think so), or eaten too much sugar maybe, or not drunk enough water. Anyway I felt quite a bit better by the time I got up this morning, and decided to go to the gym for an hour as planned. It actually did me good I think and I felt so much better afterwards. I love my little community gym. £200 for the year, and I can go as many times as I want for that. So the money I make on P/fc pays for that no problem. Its so much better and cheaper than the big gym at the leisure centre.

    After that I came home and did some cleaning and then walked to the chemist to collect prescriptions…surprisingly….not…only 1 was ready. Honestly our chemist gets worse and worse. I swapped to this one as the other, smaller one was so slow and the pharmacist here said they would always have it done quicker and never have to wait. Well that doesn't seem to be the case. I think maybe they are a victim of their own success. They are telling more and more people to change to them, and then can't cope. That plus the amount of new houses that are being built in the village, without any new shops etc.

    Been out in the garden and done some tidying/cutting back before putting the recycling and garden waste bins out, and now logged in to see if there are any studies/surveys. Just about to check all the debts and see what changes I can make, and also some changes to weekly transfers from DH's salary to the saving pots.

    Last night I told DH that if he was intending to do his little garden project at the weekend, then he should order the bits he needed….."Oh" he said, " I thought you had already done that"……why are men so useless! So as I didn't feel like looking at screens with my headache, I told him to do it and I would transfer the money from the house & garden pot. So then ensued a discussion/ argument over which slabs he was going to order. We just need about 8 or 10, to do some bits round the edge where he is taking up the small lawn and covering it with bark. I said I wanted a few slabs for stepping stones and to put some pots along the edge of the pond. So he picked the dearest ones he could find. I said that was a waste of money and the cheaper ones were just as good, as most of them will have pots on anyway…..But he said he liked the dearer ones, and it was " only" £17 more! I said, but think what we could do with £17. So eventually he ordered the cheaper ones, but only as he had discovered that the dearer ones were out of stock! If he had got the more expensive ones, I think I would have made him pay the difference from his personal spends.

    So that's about it today. Will finish up my admin stuff, although I suspect some will be carried over to tomorrow, and then a nice shower and hair wash, before getting dinner.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £124.50

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 21 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Sorry to hear you're suffering from a migraine.

    Your DH sounds like something I would do lol

  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 September at 9:19AM

    Sun is shining, kitchen floor has been cleaned and just about to peg out the washing that has had the economy wash to save both water & electricty.

    My brain is in good order after a good night's sleep & having done my morning online puzzles & started the crossword...will try & finish it later. So this mornings activities involve sitting at laptop, spread sheets open, with diary, pens & notebook at the ready.

    Have a good morning everyone

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £124.50

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 21 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 4,802 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    glad you are feeling better today. MrBC is muttering about a garden project and I've been putting some extra money in the savings pot, however, I think it will be a while in the thinking stage and a while in the planning stage so I'm hoping that my budget will match his grand design 🙃

  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    We'd been talking about ours for ages & I got so fed up with it. It is only a small project really, but he just kept putting it off.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £124.50

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 21 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    So a good day. Some amending of amounts we transfer to different savings pots & checked all accounts & debts etc. Decided to put less in my personal spend pot, as really don't think I need as much. So we'll see how that works out. Just got a bit more to work on re the debt payments. But leaving that till tomorrow or next week when I've had time for a better think..

    2 lots of washing dried outside & few bits needed ironing, all done.

    Walked to chemist & DH's prescription was actually ready.

    So just dinner to get now & then some reading & an early night I think. Feeling tired tonight. Finished my latest book last night so just started the next one in my pile.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £124.50

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 21 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 September at 5:11PM

    Funny old day. By the time we went to bed last night, it felt like I was starting a cold with that off feeling you get in the back of your nose. . Sneezed quite a bit first hour in bed and runny nose, but then slept fine. Woke up feeling fine, got up and by the time I got down stairs, I felt all runny nose and tired again! Went out in the fresh air and had to walk to the PO….was careful not to get close to others, just in case. But now I feel fine. So no idea what it was/is. Is it a cold starting?…hope not. Is it allergies….could be but doesn't seem like my normal sinus/allergy thing. So what ever it is, hopefully my lemon/honey/ginger and sprays of V*c*s 1st Defence, have knocked it on the head and its on its way out. Don't think this weather helps. One minute it id raining, then sunny and warm, then damp and chilly. No idea what to wear…roll on next Spring…!

    So what MSE things have happened today? Another item sold on V*nt*d, so doing very well there. A few small studies done on P/fc. That is looking very good this month so far. Was almost a NSD, but had to order some more white vinegar for cleaning/making up natural weed killer etc. There was more than enough in house & garden pot for that.

    Did a few more amendments to some of the savings pots and worked out how to get more into the debt pot. So will see how that all works out over the next few months. I have drastically reduced the amount I had been allocating for my personal spending pot. I really don't think I needed £100 a month, it was just silly. I've put it to £60 and see how it goes. The plan is to share any V*nt*d and Survey money between my personal pot and the savings/debt pot. So we'll see how it goes.

    Washed bedding and took advantage of free drying, so looks like I won't get much washing hung out at weekend if DH is out doing the garden project. All bits we ordered were delivered…..3 hours ahead of the 4 hour time slot! I actually had nipped out and it had been neatly stacked in the garden on my return. Despite me having checked the tracking before going out, and it assured me that it was still about 15miles away and there were 3 stops before mine and it wouldn't be here until at least 3pm! Lo and behold, 20 minutes later and it magically appeared in the garden! At least they put it there and didn't leave it by the front door, so top marks for the courier there.

    So onwards and upwards now, looks like I might just get a couple more P/fc studies before dinner…or at least there are some showing, so will have a look.

    Have a good evening all.

    Oh, and I started my latest novel last night. Absolutely brilliant, couldn't put it down. One of those that flits back and forth to different time lines, but so many characters, and trying to see how they are all connected.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £124.50

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 21 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Just a quick update today. Been in garden all day helping DH with the garden project. DGS2 came to help this morning as well. My back is killing me now.…not as young as I used to be…lol. The clearing & tip runs took place today & tomorrow it might start to look better. Just had a shower & now "chilling". No idea what's on TV & no plans to make any dinner. A sandwich will do, I'm too tired. Oh and the cold didn't turn into anything, but still feeling snuffly.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £124.50

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 21 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 4,802 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    we are having cheese and crackers for tea (and a glass of wine)

  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,557 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I could live on sandwiches and cheese and crackers. A big meal is a no no for me now. Glad the cold didn’t turn into anything nasty.

    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.