We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
We will get this debt down & the savings up
Comments
-
I was talking to MrBC today about bubble & squeak which my mum served as a Tuesday night tea with bacon and egg. It was yummy and I now realise that it was a budget friendly, zero food waste meal. DH said his mum never made it and he thought it was a "Northern" specialty 🤷♀️. I suspect with 4 hungry sons to feed his mum never had any leftovers to turn into bubble & squeak and as I'm a South Londoner and he's a North Londoner his geographic theory seems like rubbish 😀
1 -
I was born and brought up on the south coast, and we had it often. Now live in the East Midlands though and DH said he never really had it much as a child, only when visiting his granny. Its one of my favourite meals.
Making the debt go down and savings go up
LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down
Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 18mths ahead of schedule.Challenges
EF £290/3000
Studies/surveys October £ 11.47
Decluttering items 1400/2025. 441/2026
Books read 2025/23 2026- 21 (target is 52)
Jigsaws done 20 in 2025. 5 in 2026
My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up0 -
thank you. I will also keep an eye on yours to try and get tips. I’ll look into the surveys as a little earner in spare time would be great!!
0 -
I need to clear my pond, so overgrown this year
:j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.000 -
My main tip would be to cut down on as many outgoings as possible. Spend less on groceries and stick to a set budget, do meal plans, cook from scratch, have savings pots for all manner of things...car maintenance, house & garden, petrol, clothes, dentist, Christmas etc, allow yourself a set amount of personal spending money per month & top it up from survey money if possible. Most important is an emergency fund as well, as I can confirm ours has recently taken a hit. But we're building it back up again.
And keep checking on accounts regularly. Its only since doing that, that we have really got on top of things.
Making the debt go down and savings go up
LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down
Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 18mths ahead of schedule.Challenges
EF £290/3000
Studies/surveys October £ 11.47
Decluttering items 1400/2025. 441/2026
Books read 2025/23 2026- 21 (target is 52)
Jigsaws done 20 in 2025. 5 in 2026
My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up1 -
Ours has been terrible. The hot weather didn't help
Making the debt go down and savings go up
LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down
Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 18mths ahead of schedule.Challenges
EF £290/3000
Studies/surveys October £ 11.47
Decluttering items 1400/2025. 441/2026
Books read 2025/23 2026- 21 (target is 52)
Jigsaws done 20 in 2025. 5 in 2026
My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up1 -
Rain, rain and more rain! Forecast shows it will clear up later, but I find it so depressing. I know the ground still needs it, but it makes me not want to go out, even when I know I have to. Just bagged a study on P/fc while having breakfast, so now need to get dressed and go out. Off to the nearest zero waste refill shop today, and may call in at the local garden centre at same time, as they are close together. I have my shopping list and containers for the shop, I do love a good refill shop.
Sold another V*nt*d item, £12. I love it as its making me money as well as getting rid of the stuff I don't want.
Must get the salmon out the freezer for later, and some chicken to defrost for tomorrow. Not sure what I am actually doing with the chicken, need to have a think…my meal plan wasn't that explicit, and it should be.
Have a good day everyone
Making the debt go down and savings go up
LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down
Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 18mths ahead of schedule.Challenges
EF £290/3000
Studies/surveys October £ 11.47
Decluttering items 1400/2025. 441/2026
Books read 2025/23 2026- 21 (target is 52)
Jigsaws done 20 in 2025. 5 in 2026
My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up1 -
Well done on finding a coat. I hate shopping for coats as I'm really fussy and with me being so petite the sleeves are often too long.
We haven't had rain here but it's been quite dull.
I hate how town centres seem to have been taken over by druggies and rough sleepers. The mess they leave behind is unbelievable! I know some can't help the way of life they've fallen into and we don't know the circumstances behind what's led them into that situation, but some of them are downright aggressive. It's the same all over, my colleagues in Scotland say exactly the same thing. Just this morning I was walking through the city centre at 7am on my way to work and a bloke starting ranting and raving then emptied a carrier bag of rubbish onto the pavement. It felt very uncomfortable and I had to speed up to put some distance between us.
Did you ever get your shed sorted?
I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪0 -
Yes @Sun_Addict , we eventually got all the right pieces delivered. But no sort of compensation, even when I complained in a very official looking email. Just kept saying how sorry they were. I gave up in the end as felt I was dragging too much negativity into my life. Shed is at least fully built & brilliant for storing my garden bits.
Making the debt go down and savings go up
LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down
Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 18mths ahead of schedule.Challenges
EF £290/3000
Studies/surveys October £ 11.47
Decluttering items 1400/2025. 441/2026
Books read 2025/23 2026- 21 (target is 52)
Jigsaws done 20 in 2025. 5 in 2026
My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up0 -
So today has been a day of more decluttering and sorting out in the bedroom cupboards, after I got back from the refill shop. Pleased to say I only bought what I had on my list, and I also resisted the urge to pop into the garden centre. DH is finally starting on a bit of a garden project this weekend….as long as the weather is ok, and has even booked Monday off work in case he can't get it finished as he has to work Saturday morning till 11.am. I told him I was sick of him keep talking about it and not actually doing it and I wanted it done before the winter. We have more than enough in the house and garden pot, should only cost around £60. So I can't see the point in doing anything new to the garden until he has finished. Hopefully it will mean I can finally sort out our new seating area before next spring and also some new plants along the edge of the pond. Hope to get out there in the next few days and tidy stuff up and see if there is any hope of the last few tomatoes ripening, or should I pick them and try and ripen them indoors?
Had a couple of P/fc studies this afternoon, and should be something to cash out later hopefully. I really must try and look at some of the other sites. I think its so easy to make good money on P/fc I tend to ignore the others these days as they take so long to get enough to cash out. But any extra is worth it.
That's about it for today. Need to get some dinner sorted, salmon today with some stir fry veg and noodles. DH will moan as he is not a salmon fan…LOL
Making the debt go down and savings go up
LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down
Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 18mths ahead of schedule.Challenges
EF £290/3000
Studies/surveys October £ 11.47
Decluttering items 1400/2025. 441/2026
Books read 2025/23 2026- 21 (target is 52)
Jigsaws done 20 in 2025. 5 in 2026
My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


