Feels like im going under!

Options
NiteEyez1980
NiteEyez1980 Posts: 150 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 25 November 2022 at 10:01AM in Debt free diaries
Hi Guys,

i posted in July but cant find the topic.

I could give you the reasons but it'd be a long write, and the content of the issue would be the same.

Bottom line started a new job and by the time I did everything had changed (had to give 4 months notice in old one):

NI increase
Energy bill doubled
fuel (petrol) increase (now drive 100m a day for work)
imposed parking payment at work (which wasn't on the cards before)
cost of living etc etc.

+ my olf job cocked up and i ended up being overpaid for a few months. i paid it back however HRMC thought i was on like 200k a year and so i was mega taxed and had to use cc to live etc.

long story short this added to spiralling debts we have incurred over the years to do our house, replace cars, fix storm damage etc etc.

the debts are 50k accross 2 loans and a few credit cards (unsecured)

the intention was to re-mortgage in October and we were there until everything collapsed and now the interest rate is untenable versus our current interest rate.

we have 4 children under 12, 1 at Uni and the debt has become unmanageable.

i actually woke up last night in a cold sweat, like i was having an anxiety attack and its all ive been thinking about 24/7.

i earn 58k a year and have a mortgage that's weighing in at about £950 a month.

ive spoken to my wife and shes convinced if we write to the credit companies we will ultimately lose our house/mortgage.

it sounds mad, but im struggling to hold rationale thoughts over how to manage this. its almost paralysing me with worry and stress

I think someone before recommended a debt chart and writing to the companies to ask them to reduce payments etc. 

any help will be greatly appreciated as this is making me ill

Comments

• ColdPensioner
    Options
    Sound advice. I can only add, that you set some quiet time aside to do the sums without distraction.

Work out what you earn, what you need to spend, what you don't need to spend and what's left over.

Stick hard with the job too, you earn decent money! 

Good luck - let us know how you get on. 
  • NiteEyez1980
    Options
    Thanks Mal

Really appreciate it. 👍

It's all just snowballed and suddenly cost of living etc increases by £500 a month and now your in trouble.

I will do the SOA and post here 

I suppose my worry is "what if the creditors tell me to do one" 

I haven't had a decent night's sleep for 4 months worrying about this. 

I haven't missed a payment on anything yet! 

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The creditors except for your mortgage have very little power to do anything. Focus on essential bills and mortgage initially. Defaulting on cards will affect your credit record but little else. A DMP may need the best option if you are unable to pay minimums. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Andyjflet
    Options
    By the grace of god you havent been able to re-mortgage and consolidate. Now do your SOA and look at actual expenses vs income and see if you really are in a deficit. 
    You can then decide or not, to speak to Stepchange and sort your life out now. 
    Baby Step 6/7 - £63000 saved for emergency fund DEBT FREE !!!
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    To sum up my thoughts   Don't panic! You're not alone in this (although that's no help, I know).

As said, look hard at your spending. Initially, cut out all "want" but keep "need". Essential spending only. OK so it might dampen the 'fun' in life but sadly, needs must.

I think you need the whole family to buy into this. Listen - don't feel ashamed by this. 

Most folk will tell you the financial side - I'm trying to help with the psychological side.

Now breathe...and don't panic!
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • MrsBunny
    MrsBunny Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please do not worry there is help out there and they will not take your house if you are still paying your mortgage. 

I have been there, done that and still getting the t-shirt! 

10 years ago, although I rent (& still do) I was in a right pickle. Debts nearly double my income on credit cards and loans. One day, I had a moment like you. I no longer could afford the monthly repayments. I stopped and wrote to the debt companies explaining my situation. Most gave me a 3-month payment 'break', one just 1 month. In this time I studied my finances and sort advice from StepChange.  I went with a DMP and it was a huge relief lifted from my shoulders. 

My creditors defaulted on my accounts and my credit score took a dent. However, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Those debts are now wiped from my credit score and I am showing an 'above UK average' score. I am still on the DMP and repaying as much as I can each month which is not alot as a Single mum on one income - hence why it has taken so long!

I would certainly seek some advice. I can highly recommend StepChange. The best solution for me was to go bankrupt or IVA but I can not have this on my file for my employment hence why I went down the DMP route. DMP has not affected my employment. 

I just wanted to say you are not alone. Talk to your wife, discussed your finances, make her aware that things will have to change etc Do not hide it from her. 

It is scary but it can be sorted.  

Goodluck and let us know how you get on. 

Proud mummy to an amazing 8 year old!
  • NiteEyez1980
    Options
    Hi guys

I'm drafting my SOA and its:

Mort=1094
    Council tax: 146
    Cc/loans: 1578
    Energy 340
    Road tax: 65
    Water:41
    Diesel/fuel: £300
    Car insurance: 70
    Tv/mobile/broadband:100

My take home is about £3,400

Leaves about 300 for a fam of 6 a month

This is excluding any luxuries or clubs or anything for kids etc

If I wrote to all my creditors and offered a 50% payment, what do you think, any templates about? 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback