Feels like im going under!

Options

Comments

• NiteEyez1980
    Options
    Hi guys. 

I think there is some misunderstandings here.

1. The adult children do not live at home, they do however visit. Of the 2, one is at uni and returns home periodically.

2. I did not allow for the car element as I have paid for that as-hoc, my and which eats into any saves money which would account for that.

3. When I did the original SOA I included the secured debt in the mortgage as this is a second charge mortgage, so again my error.

4. I included all the insurances in 1 which has equalled the higher total.

5. The parking fee is mandatory. Where in work would be impossible to park and walk in due to areas being permitted and distanced.

6. The energy bill is the cheapest we can go. People living next door to us are paying £500. Everything is switched off at night, no heating has been on etc. The total cost for both is £340. I'm surprised you think this is high??? 

7. My wife returned to work this year after 10 years. She has tried. She is just trying to get her foot in the door work wise and no the travelling is not ideal however I also work long hours so she has to work around my availability. 

8. Fair play on the entertainment, however I have factored in kids parties etc into that. 1 week they had 4 to go to. 

• NiteEyez1980
    Options
    With regards to stop paying the unsecured debt, what is your suggestion?

I can't just not pay as I'll have bailiffs around etc. Do I write to my creditors, and ask them to freeze interest and offer to pay say 50%

By the way I couldn't access the interest % which is why I didn't include it. 
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    With regards to stop paying the unsecured debt, what is your suggestion?

I can't just not pay as I'll have bailiffs around etc. Do I write to my creditors, and ask them to freeze interest and offer to pay say 50%

By the way I couldn't access the interest % which is why I didn't include it. 
    No you won't have bailiffs around, for unsecured debt they are so far down the possible line take them out of the equation.

Don't pay anything and let the debts default don't offer anything to any unsecured creditor.

What ever you do don't speak to them on the phone, nothing terrible is going to happen so you have time to change your lifestyle, you must tell the older children that things are tight moneywise and things are going to change.

You aren't the only one in this position and the sooner you face up to it the sooner you will have chance to sort it out
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    I will add. You bank with Nat.West?
    You have debts with them?
    You need a basic current account ( no overdraught ) with a bank not connected to Nat West and transfer all income and DDs for council tax utilities etc over to that account. this is because Nat West could pounce on any money you have to put to their debts.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The reason why the advice is to not speak to the unsecured creditors is that they may try to help with a breathing space on payments or reduced payments, but you will end up with an arrangement to pay marker on your credit file which will only come off six months after the debt is paid. If you stop paying and wait til the account is defaulted, the default will come off your file size years after it first went on.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback