Challenge to make an extra £10 a day in October 2022 ~ everyone welcome.

Options
Hello everyone and welcome to this month's challenge. This is the 182nd month of the challenge which was started by Batgirl in September 2007.

Here is a link to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

The purpose of this challenge is to try and make an extra £10 a day on top of your normal income to help things along eg paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages or even extra spending money. Every little helps!

If you feel £10 is too much why not start at £5 (or less if you want)  or if you're brave join those who aim for £20 a day! Anything extra you make is great so set whatever target you think you can manage. It also doesn't have to be £10 each and every day - some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for £310 (or whatever your target is) extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it and for everyone who has kept it going for over 15 years.

Hope you join us and see how much you can make this month! 

Comments

• makingmehappy
    makingmehappy Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 October 2022 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Cashback on things you're buying - Topcashback and Quidco are the two main sites along with Swagbucks. Some bank accounts and credit cards also give cashback so check out yours.  

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:
    Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX

eBay - a place to sell anything and everything.

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

also join Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Make money from recycling - mobiles, ink cartridges,

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Collect  loyalty points for shopping - Tesco clubcard, Boots Advantage card, Morrisons More card, Superdrug Beautycard, Nectar card  (please let me know if there are any more loyalty cards to add)
    You can also go through Nectar to earn points for shopping at ebay.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I have done this challenge before many years ago. I'm delighted to see it's still going strong.

Please may I join for October, with a target of £10 per day. Christmas expenses are fast approaching!

• makingmehappy
    Options
    Good morning @TheBanker, welcome to the challenge and good luck with money making this month.
  • TheBanker
    Options
    Thankyou @makingmehappy and good luck to you too!

To get me started I am about to send a box of books to WeBuyBooks which will net me £15. 

I remember from last time this challenge gets harder as the months pass as you run out of things to sell! 
  • CMD79
    CMD79 Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi @TheBanker

Yes, it definitely gets harder when the easy wins have already been won!! I've sold all the good stuff, now got the low value items to look at.

November 2023

I'm always in it, it's only the depth that varies....

Current debt: £10,806.75
    Debt free date April 2025 (though expecting this to come forward)

• CMD79
    CMD79 Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1st October!! WOW!!

I'm aiming for £20 A Day again because really need to try to keep up the momentum. But this month is going to be MUCH harder! So I'm writing out a list of what I think I can do...

Daily Surveys: £3 per day x 20 days = £60 (It does my head in, so can't do daily!) 
    Mystery Shops: avg £15 x 8 = £120
    Stuff to Sell: £200 (I really need to pull my finger out for this though!)
    Switching bank accounts (again!) = £175
    Extra work = £100
    Vouchers and Cashback = £50

Good luck everyone!
    November 2023

I'm always in it, it's only the depth that varies....

Current debt: £10,806.75
    Debt free date April 2025 (though expecting this to come forward)

• Rupacomp
    Rupacomp Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in again... really focusing this month for 10 a day. Got some big expenses coming up so really want to strive to make things more affordable 
    Savings goal by 31/12/24: £22000
    Dec 23: £6945.23
  • TheBanker
    Options
    I just logged into Nationwide to start the process of earning £125 for switching a bank account to them. While I was there I noticed they've kindly paid me 24p interest. So my total so far is... 24p! :)
  • Hollie_Hobbie
    Options
    Money making faded at end of last month but made £236.34 so happy with that.

Going to aim for £10 a day again - going to do some bank switches for myself and OH, and force myself to eBay. Have lots to sell but just need to do it 🙂
    Make £10 a day 2024
    Jan £193.68/£280
  • makingmehappy
    Options
    Hi @CMD79, @Rupacomp and @Hollie_Hobbie, good luck with the challenge this month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback