Heating oil discretionary payment

13»

Comments

• dunstonh said:
    I've given up on Boilerjuice, they've been consistently 15-20ppl dearer than the local firm I use. 
    When regional firms have excess capacity, they will make more slots available to boilerjuice at a lower price.  When regional firms are at or above capacity, they don't want to offer slots to boilerjuice.  So, they either increase their price higher than their local customers or they stop pricing full stop.
    That's interesting to know.  I ordered some just last week.  The cheapest option on BoilerJuice was 119.5ppl, one of my regular local firms quoted me 84.55 ppl - quite some difference!  Even the most expensive quote I got from my regular "panel" of local suppliers was still cheaper than BJ.
    Only once have I ever found BJ to be the cheapest - and a local supplier promptly beat that quote by 1 pence per litre when I told them what I'd been offered by BJ.

• jiggy2 said:
    The government will also provide an additional payment of £100 to households across the UK who are not able to receive support for their heating costs through the Energy Price Guarantee. This might be because they live in an area of the UK that is not served by the gas grid and is to compensate for the rising costs of alternative fuels such as heating oil.

Government outlines plans to help cut energy bills for businesses - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    Does this mean if you get £400 through your electric account you could possibly also get the extra £100 if you don't have gas? 

On the one hand we use solid fuel for heating but on the other it seems excessive to give an extra £100 when the £400 on the electricity account will go further as it's not contributing towards heating. 
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 September 2022 at 11:11AM
    jiggy2 said:
    The government will also provide an additional payment of £100 to households across the UK who are not able to receive support for their heating costs through the Energy Price Guarantee. This might be because they live in an area of the UK that is not served by the gas grid and is to compensate for the rising costs of alternative fuels such as heating oil.

Government outlines plans to help cut energy bills for businesses - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    Does this mean if you get £400 through your electric account you could possibly also get the extra £100 if you don't have gas? 

On the one hand we use solid fuel for heating but on the other it seems excessive to give an extra £100 when the £400 on the electricity account will go further as it's not contributing towards heating. 
    The extra £100 is not in any way related to the £400 that is being rebated through electricity suppliers.
    The £100 related to the fact that on grid gas customers are receiving significant government support through the Energy Price Guarantee. The £100 represents the governments view of "equivalent support" for those not on the mains gas network and not able to avail themselves of the capped gas prices on offer to heat their homes.

• I am not sure how far they deliver to, but another alternative to BJ is 'fuelfighter.co.uk'. They are usually cheaper than BJ.
  • NedS
    NedS said:
    GrumpyDil said:
    If you want to go through a broker also worth checking out tank topper who at the moment are consistently cheaper for me. 

Currently Boilerjuice are quoting me 462.06 and tanktopper 418.41 for 500 litres. I'm about to order with tanktopper unless my local supplier (Watson) can match/beat the price. 
    Thanks for that. I hadn't heard of TankTopper before, but I've just ordered 500 litres for a total cost of £418.41 (which includes a £2.50 service charge).
    Thank you for the heads up on TankTopper.
    Same price here, with BoilerJuice being £482.
    Can anyone vouch for TankTopper as being reputable? I've never heard of them before, and they are substantially cheaper, hence my caution.

I can't vouch for them as I haven't used them before either. However, I'll let you know if (or, hopefully, when 😃) my oil gets delivered (presumably by one of the normal suppliers round here).
    @The_Unready did your order arrive OK? TankTopper are still showing as cheaper than BoilerJuice on some days.
    Still not sure I can squeeze 500L in my tank, but we are not far off.

• Sun-Is-Fun
    Sun-Is-Fun Posts: 243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    NedS said:
    NedS said:
    GrumpyDil said:
    If you want to go through a broker also worth checking out tank topper who at the moment are consistently cheaper for me. 

Currently Boilerjuice are quoting me 462.06 and tanktopper 418.41 for 500 litres. I'm about to order with tanktopper unless my local supplier (Watson) can match/beat the price. 
    Thanks for that. I hadn't heard of TankTopper before, but I've just ordered 500 litres for a total cost of £418.41 (which includes a £2.50 service charge).
    Can anyone vouch for TankTopper as being reputable? I've never heard of them before, and they are substantially cheaper, hence my caution.

I can't vouch for them as I haven't used them before either. However, I'll let you know if (or, hopefully, when 😃) my oil gets delivered (presumably by one of the normal suppliers round here).
    @The_Unready did your order arrive OK? TankTopper are still showing as cheaper than BoilerJuice on some days.

My oil from tanktopper came about a week after ordering. Ironically, it was delivered by the same company who would not price match what was quoted !!!!
  • The_Unready
    The_Unready Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2022 at 7:18AM
    NedS said:
    NedS said:
    GrumpyDil said:

Hi @NedS - yes, my oil arrived OK last Friday, exactly 2 weeks after I ordered it (so they only just made it in time).  :)

So that's another broker to add to my list to check each time I need oil. Hopefully, more choice will mean lower prices (I can dream).
  • NedS
    @Sun-Is-Fun @The_Unready thank you both - TankTopper added to the list :smile:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    NedS said:
    NedS said:
    GrumpyDil said:

My oil from tanktopper came about a week after ordering. Ironically, it was delivered by the same company who would not price match what was quoted !!!!
    That happens very often.   Watsons wouldn't match my price a few years back.   I ended up going with Boilerjuice and a Watsons tanker turns up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback