Heating oil discretionary payment

Options

Comments

• Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've juist ordered 1000L at just over 82p +VAT.  £862.16 all in.  That was from an independent supplier in Aberdeenshire. 
    The local "Oil Club" is often cheapest but this weekend's price is just a bit more at 84.75p +VAT
    Of the other places I have used in the past, Scottish Fuels were 94.22p so more expensive even with their £40 off offer.  Rix was over 100p.  Boilerjuice is always uncompetitive around here.

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Qyburn said:
    I've juist ordered 1000L at just over 82p +VAT.  £862.16 all in.  That was from an independent supplier in Aberdeenshire. 
    The local "Oil Club" is often cheapest but this weekend's price is just a bit more at 84.75p +VAT
    Of the other places I have used in the past, Scottish Fuels were 94.22p so more expensive even with their £40 off offer.  Rix was over 100p.  Boilerjuice is always uncompetitive around here.
    Thanks for posting this!  I was getting online quotes for Inverness of 107p + VAT from Boilerjuice and 93.96p + VAT from Highland Fuels.  In the past I've always found Highland Fuels to match Scottish Fuels or Gleaner, but I've just checked Scottish Fuels and got a quote of 83.4p + VAT. It seems strange that the Highland Fuels price doesn't seem to have dropped at all over the last week,  so it may be that there is a glitch with their online quote function. 
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you use Scottish Fuels you should be able to get £40 off by quoting "saveme40" at the checkout.  To state the obvious that's 4p a litre off 1000L, or 8p/L off 500L.

And it's strange to see lower prices in Inverness than Aberdeenshire. I wonder if there's some special reason, of whether it's just random given the turmoil in the market at the moment.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 September 2022 at 11:21AM
    Options
    GrumpyDil said:
    If you want to go through a broker also worth checking out tank topper who at the moment are consistently cheaper for me. 

Currently Boilerjuice are quoting me 462.06 and tanktopper 418.41 for 500 litres. I'm about to order with tanktopper unless my local supplier (Watson) can match/beat the price. 
    Thanks for that. I hadn't heard of TankTopper before, but I've just ordered 500 litres for a total cost of £418.41 (which includes a £2.50 service charge).
    Thank you for the heads up on TankTopper.
    Same price here, with BoilerJuice being £482.
    Can anyone vouch for TankTopper as being reputable? I've never heard of them before, and they are substantially cheaper, hence my caution.

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September 2022 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Qyburn said:
    If you use Scottish Fuels you should be able to get £40 off by quoting "saveme40" at the checkout.  To state the obvious that's 4p a litre off 1000L, or 8p/L off 500L.

And it's strange to see lower prices in Inverness than Aberdeenshire. I wonder if there's some special reason, of whether it's just random given the turmoil in the market at the moment.
    Thanks.  I don't know about kerosene, although prices for road diesel are often cheaper in Inverness than Aberdeen or Glasgow but for some reason always cheapest in Elgin (or at least since Asda opened there in the mid-80s).  The pricing has never really made much sense.
  • The_Unready
    Options
    NedS said:
    GrumpyDil said:
    If you want to go through a broker also worth checking out tank topper who at the moment are consistently cheaper for me. 

Currently Boilerjuice are quoting me 462.06 and tanktopper 418.41 for 500 litres. I'm about to order with tanktopper unless my local supplier (Watson) can match/beat the price. 
    Thanks for that. I hadn't heard of TankTopper before, but I've just ordered 500 litres for a total cost of £418.41 (which includes a £2.50 service charge).
    Thank you for the heads up on TankTopper.
    Same price here, with BoilerJuice being £482.
    Can anyone vouch for TankTopper as being reputable? I've never heard of them before, and they are substantially cheaper, hence my caution.

I can't vouch for them as I haven't used them before either. However, I'll let you know if (or, hopefully, when 😃) my oil gets delivered (presumably by one of the normal suppliers round here).
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tanktopper price by me has gone up to the same as boilerjuice now. My delivery is due tomorrow and I have used them before with no issues. 
  • jiggy2
    jiggy2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The government will also provide an additional payment of £100 to households across the UK who are not able to receive support for their heating costs through the Energy Price Guarantee. This might be because they live in an area of the UK that is not served by the gas grid and is to compensate for the rising costs of alternative fuels such as heating oil.

Government outlines plans to help cut energy bills for businesses - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
  • narrowboatboy
    Options
    I've given up on Boilerjuice, they've been consistently 15-20ppl dearer than the local firm I use. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've given up on Boilerjuice, they've been consistently 15-20ppl dearer than the local firm I use. 
    When regional firms have excess capacity, they will make more slots available to boilerjuice at a lower price.  When regional firms are at or above capacity, they don't want to offer slots to boilerjuice.  So, they either increase their price higher than their local customers or they stop pricing full stop.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback