Neo Energy and Octopus

Comments

• Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I've just had an "amended" final invoice.  The value claimed has come down a little, I think they've corrected one of their incorrect tariffs.  However the major errors still exist, billing for several months before they actually took over the supply, and not acknowledging the payments I made by bank transfer.
  • Qyburn
    About an hour after I emailed them (for the seventh time) about their invoicing errors, they've actually replied with a corrected invoice removing charges for those months, and a corrected credit note accounting for the payments I made by bank transfer. Together these have changed the sum claimed from £643.35 down to £70.93.  I need to check properly but that could well be correct.

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2023 at 3:37PM
    Since my OP, nothing much has happened with Neo. Until today, when I’ve received notice of impending debt collection unless payment is made within 7 days. My immediate thoughts are that it’s a scam, there’s a couple of spelling and grammar issues along with many words in upper case, which I’d not expect. I was transferred over from BG by Switchcraft in August 2020 so only with them around 2 years; usual bills of around £1100pa and I was paying that sort of money by way of DD. Their invoice came in at £4700 or thereabouts which would have been way over for the years I was with them.
    What to do now? What happens in 7 days, if this is genuine?
    My immediate concern is that I’m no longer able to trace my meter readings - they were supplied to Neo but their bills never reflected those figures, they simply said my DD  would be recovered on the due date. I’ve emailed BG to try and obtain final figures on handover

• baser999 said:
    Since my OP, nothing much has happened with Neo. Until today, when I’ve received notice of impending debt collection unless payment is made within 7 days. My immediate thoughts are that it’s a scam, there’s a couple of spelling and grammar issues along with many words in upper case, which I’d not expect. I was transferred over from BG by Switchcraft in August 2020 so only with them around 2 years; usual bills of around £1100pa and I was paying that sort of money by way of DD. Their invoice came in at £4700 or thereabouts which would have been way over for the years I was with them.
    What to do now? What happens in 7 days, if this is genuine?
    My immediate concern is that I’m no longer able to trace my meter readings - they were supplied to Neo but their bills never reflected those figures, they simply said my DD  would be recovered on the due date. I’ve emailed BG to try and obtain final figures on handover

Has this arrived in writing, hard copy, in the post, to you? An email is not a recognised, legitimate way of chasing for a debt as far as I know. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • baser999
    edited 15 February 2023 at 6:46PM
    It’s an email - still thinking it may be spam though,  the grammar doesn’t ‘seem right’, and there’s too many of the important/relevant words that are in block capitals. 
  • Qyburn
    The later correspondence that I had from Neo included references to debt collectors ..

"We will expect payment of your final bill within the next 7 days. If you have difficulty paying, please contact us by email to arrange a payment plan.

If we do not hear from you and no payment is received to settle your final bill for energy used up to 9th July 2022, we reserve the right to forward your debt to one of our partner debt collection agencies which may incur additional costs to you."

• baser999
    Qyburn said:
    The later correspondence that I had from Neo included references to debt collectors ..

"We will expect payment of your final bill within the next 7 days. If you have difficulty paying, please contact us by email to arrange a payment plan.

If we do not hear from you and no payment is received to settle your final bill for energy used up to 9th July 2022, we reserve the right to forward your debt to one of our partner debt collection agencies which may incur additional costs to you."
    Same ‘threats’ as I’ve received. EssexHebridean suggested that any threat of debt collection has to be in hard copy, rather than email?
  • Qyburn said:

Sorry, this is a long thread, you may have answered this already. Have you been in contact with the company that is chasing the debt to tell them that you dispute what you owe?
    If they haven't heard from you they will continue to go through their recovery process. 
  • Qyburn
    edited 16 February 2023 at 8:18AM
    I never heard from anyone except Neo. If their "partner debt collection agencies" even exist then we got things resolved before it reached that stage.

Everything from Neo was by email.

Just looking back they sent that invoice on 8th November, saying it was due for payment on 22nd (11 days), then in the same email threatened debt collectors if not paid in 7.

The difference with my case was that I had a pretty good set of meter reading with very little interpolation needed.  So I was able to spell out their mistakes exactly. 
  • baser999
    I’ve responded to Neo, the debt collection threats are from them, not the agency. I’ve asked several times for the bill to be reviewed, no reply.
    Will have a chance to go through all the figures again at the weekend
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure