IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking stories in the News/media

Options

Comments

• Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 June 2022 at 3:38AM
    Options
    https://lichfieldlive.co.uk/2022/06/12/decision-by-shopping-centre-owner-to-end-contract-with-car-parking-company-welcomed-by-lichfield-mp/

Michael Fabricant's comments. Like many people he perceives it as a service industry until he has to deal with them.  

This is seriously good news – I have never before had to deal with a company that has so little interest in engaging with genuine concerns of the customers it is meant to serve.

“Even when I have taken up miscarriages of justice with the company concerning constituents who have been served parking penalty notices by them because their machines were faulty, they have shown no interest in righting obvious wrongs.

“Good riddance to a company that damaged the good name of Lichfield by their unwillingness to engage with the community. Their lack of engagement is a testimony to how a company should not be run.

“I feel sorry for other towns who have to endure them.”

Michael Fabricant

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• Snakes_Belly
    Options
    Mouse007 said:

"Mr White, for HX, said that the company analyses trends and checks for inconsistencies to determine if a machine is faulty, but regardless of whether the machine is working correctly or not, if there has been a breach of terms and conditions of the car park, a PCN is issued.

But Judge Forrester said the machine relies on 3G or 4G network and Mr White could not provide any evidence of the reliability of signal at the car park’s location.

He added: “I do not accept that the time spent trying to work the claimant’s defective machine can be counted as parking, so it’s not outside the terms and conditions.”

Interesting what the judge says there. I think that this may be happening in Lichfield.  Any techies want to comment on that?

• Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Wrexham: 'Disgraceful' parking fines at Plas Coch retail park slammed

Pub fines own customer £85 for parking outside after Sunday Dinner

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• Trainerman
    Trainerman Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Mouse007 said:

"Mr White, for HX, said that the company analyses trends and checks for inconsistencies to determine if a machine is faulty, but regardless of whether the machine is working correctly or not, if there has been a breach of terms and conditions of the car park, a PCN is issued"

Does that not translate as "even when we know a machine is faulty, we will still try it on by issuing a ticket."

Another one for the SG and upcoming further consultation !
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm no techie, but at one time (when 4G wasn't even rolled out), 3G internet access on my iPhone was just about adequate. Now I have 4G, whenever I enter a 3G zone, the internet is well beyond useless. Not sure whether providers have throttled back on 3G, or whether even in its original form it can no longer cope with internet requirements. Any techie?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks T_S_T, excellent explanation. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Snakes_Belly
    edited 25 June 2022 at 12:45PM
    Options
    "But Judge Forrester said the machine relies on 3G or 4G network and Mr White could not provide any evidence of the reliability of signal at the car park’s location."

It sounds like this is the issue at Lichfield. What makes it worse is there are no tickets issued. I want to suggest that Adam uses this in his defence. No signals no tickets.   

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure