IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking stories in the News/media

Options
To save adding to a post about something else it might be worth having a seperate thread for parking stories in the media
Kicking it off is this on the BBC news site
"Drivers fined as Durham car park camera 'misses them leaving'
 yep, its the good old double dip again, full story on the BBC here

A few choice quotes

Resident Linda Parkin said, since then, hundreds of drivers had been charged £60 because the camera thinks "the car was there and it definitely wasn't".

Smart Parking said the system it managed "strictly follows British Parking Association (BPA) guidelines".

"Hundreds of people use the car park every day without any issue," a spokesperson said.

and
Mrs Parkin said many older drivers had paid the penalty, which increases to £100 if not paid within 14 days, because they "don't want the hassle of arguing with the parking company" or were not able to fill in the appeal form online.

Parish councillor Kimberley Noble said she received a ticket after going in the morning to buy milk and returning in the afternoon for bread.

"It said we parked there for seven hours," she said.

"A lot of elderly people rely on their cars to get to the shops - some are that petrified of a ticket that they are now using the bigger shops rather than our local shops."

and

The owner of the business, who did not want to be named, said her takings had dropped by about 40% because "customers are frightened to come" and she was worried some shops might be forced to close.

"The local community are boycotting the car park," she said.

The landlord introduced restrictions to stop "people using it as a park and ride but they've got no evidence to say that was ever happening - it never happened", she added.

Some businesses are able to log exemptions if their customers have to stay longer than the permitted time period, but proof was required for appeals and collecting this was time consuming, she said.

One elderly shopper had paid five charges "because he doesn't know what else to do and he's so frightened" and another paid the charge after being threatened with court action, she said.

"She was so frightened and intimidated that she felt she had no choice but to pay," she said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-61736566

From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"

Comments

• Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 June 2022 at 12:10PM
    Options

"Smart Parking said the system it managed "strictly follows British Parking Association (BPA) guidelines".

"Hundreds of people use the car park every day without any issue," a spokesperson said"

Lavrov's interview with the BBC reminded me very much of the comments made by the PPC's and their clingons.

"We did not invade Ukraine".

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I hope that the issues with the Lichfield car parks makes the nationals. 

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "Someone needs to point out that these "guidelines" (made up by a subscription parking club) are outlawed by the government in authority run car parks"

Not according to DVLA  -  (
    The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is an executive agency within the Department for Transport (DfT).)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yep, we all need to gather the most clear evidence to show that people are ONLY paying the DRA and roboclaim scum because they are frightened and intimidated, NOT because those money-grabbing parasites offer 'a buffer against court'.

We need to disabuse the Govt of any doubt that maybe this is 'debt resolution' that is worth propping up with escalated money.

The sooner the added 'costs' are banned the less incentive for the DRA and roboclaim scum to sniff around.  More people will pay at PCN rate, like they do with ParkingEye.

Fewer court claims.  Fewer CCJs. 

I mean it is blinking obvious but this is stuff we must all evidence, not just state.

The DLUHC is all about evidence. 

Maybe this thread could be used as a quick access repository for such examples to be linked for referencing once the third Consultation gets underway. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 June 2022 at 3:24PM
    Options
    Half_way, would you be agreeable to adding relevant info to the first post as they are added to the thread by other posters?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    threatened by bailiffs over a parking fine he paid 18 MONTHS ago

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18678358/bailiffs-parking-fine-already-paid/

tourist issued a £60 parking fine despite buying ticket in 'unfair' charge (had to  wait 14 minutes for a space)

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1526587/parking-fine-cornwall-tourist-penalty-charge-ticket

Mum shocked by massive parking fines after going to the gym 5 days running (VCS have been "rude and demanding")

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-shocked-massive-parking-fines-25971780

Parking fines at Century Retail Park look set to be cancelled

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/19854270.parking-fines-century-retail-park-look-set-cancelled/

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback