We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Mental Debt Struggle...

1…309311313314315

Comments

  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 305 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Wow Keedie! Just been reading through some of your last posts. I always followed your diary previously and have made a commitment to sorting my own finances again after falling off the path again.

    So amazinf you got to be debt free though. I fell off the path but never actually got to be debt free. Can't wait to keep following youe diary!!!

  • Keedie
    Keedie Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker

    Ahh @abaka nice to see you back on the forum 🤗. Your diary is still in my bookmarks, how are you doing? Although our financial journeys are not straight forward or easy, the main thing is that we get back up. Sometimes that is a lot easier said than done, but at times it's not as arduous as others.

    I became debt free via a cheat code, as I was gifted some money by a family member and used that to clear my debts. But I think if I kept the same discipline that I had whilst clearing debt, and used that approach to savings, some of my debt over the last year would have been avoided or reduced, as I would have had more savings. But, you live and learn 🤷🏾‍♀️. And things are getting back on track now.

    I moved my £5 weekly payments into the savings challenge Stacking Cups. It's a great idea, as you set aside £5 into each of the envelopes, and once you reach £25, you can reallocate it to the £25 envelope, and then start again with the £5 instalments until you have another £25. At which point, you have your first £50. And you just keep going until you reach each cup milestone and eventually save £1,000. I will put each £250 saved into the bank so that I don't have too much cash in my safe, and I get a little interest. This challenge is visually appealing, and self contained, so it's way more fun that just transferring the money.

    IMG_4440.jpeg

    It's a game within itself, so more motivating. Knowing that next week, I will complete the first 5 cups, and I can cross of my first £25 and move the money over, is rather exciting (you can tell small things please me 😂).

    IMG_4441.jpeg
    Debt Free Diary:- The Mental Debt Struggle
    (Original Debt on 15/07/2016 was £33,056.76) 🙈 and, I was Debt Free on 09/02/2025 🎉 but life 🫣, so now I have a Debt Reset 🥴
    DEBT DEBT = £6,646.22 😬
    Bank of Mum:- Moped Insurance = £300/£1,800 (16.67% repaid) || Bookkeeping Course £750/£3,000 (25% repaid)
    The Tax Man:- Council Tax = £221.72/£221.72 (100% repaid 🎉) || Self Assessment = £1,624.50/£1,624.50 (100% repaid 🎉)
    Debt Debt Tracker = £2,896.22/£6,646.22 (43.57% repaid)
  • Keedie
    Keedie Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker

    I forgot to say with the Stacking Cups challenge, you can also just put other denominations in the envelopes. So if I ever have say £20, I can put that straight into a £25 cup, or towards a £50 cup.

    Debt Free Diary:- The Mental Debt Struggle
    (Original Debt on 15/07/2016 was £33,056.76) 🙈 and, I was Debt Free on 09/02/2025 🎉 but life 🫣, so now I have a Debt Reset 🥴
    DEBT DEBT = £6,646.22 😬
    Bank of Mum:- Moped Insurance = £300/£1,800 (16.67% repaid) || Bookkeeping Course £750/£3,000 (25% repaid)
    The Tax Man:- Council Tax = £221.72/£221.72 (100% repaid 🎉) || Self Assessment = £1,624.50/£1,624.50 (100% repaid 🎉)
    Debt Debt Tracker = £2,896.22/£6,646.22 (43.57% repaid)
  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 305 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Had a few ups and a fair amount of downs since I was last active. Started a new diary myself to try and really kick this debt away and hold myself accountable. I believe not posting etc was a gateway to driving the debt up again.

    There's a few diaries I remember from here previously so good to get a catch up on yours!!!!

  • Keedie
    Keedie Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September at 3:54PM

    I definitely find that I hold myself more accountable when I am posting on my diary @abaka, so I am trying to do it more often. I'll check out your new diary.

    I put another £60 into my Rainbow Stacking Cups, so there's now £80 in there. I've managed to cross off one £50 cup, one £25 cup and there's a £5 cup completed, waiting to accumulate the next £25. So I now have £130 towards the moped debt, which is 7.22% of that debt. My son should hopefully be getting more jobs soon, as things slowed down over the summer.

    I also put £20 into savings challenges that are for my expenses and £50 into my autumn challenges binder, that will run from September to November. When that binder is complete, it will save a minimum of £300, and that money will be split across debt, savings/sinking funds and fun money.

    We're off to Toby Carvery this evening for my sister's birthday dinner, and I'm looking forward to that and I saved my belly for it 😋😂.

    My little Worker Bees are coming tomorrow morning to do another shift of decluttering They really seem to be loving it I must say. And my decluttering pile is very rapidly disappearing, which makes me feel a lot better. I need to take the money out of the safe to pay them in cash, they get so excited for their wages. I reckon I'm a good employer as they get a paid 15 minute break (with snacks) and then they get lunch afterwards. I just have to figure out what to feed them …🤔.

    Debt Free Diary:- The Mental Debt Struggle
    (Original Debt on 15/07/2016 was £33,056.76) 🙈 and, I was Debt Free on 09/02/2025 🎉 but life 🫣, so now I have a Debt Reset 🥴
    DEBT DEBT = £6,646.22 😬
    Bank of Mum:- Moped Insurance = £300/£1,800 (16.67% repaid) || Bookkeeping Course £750/£3,000 (25% repaid)
    The Tax Man:- Council Tax = £221.72/£221.72 (100% repaid 🎉) || Self Assessment = £1,624.50/£1,624.50 (100% repaid 🎉)
    Debt Debt Tracker = £2,896.22/£6,646.22 (43.57% repaid)
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,973 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Ooh,love a Toby Carvery .Our local one turned into a steak house, so not pleased. Have a good time.

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £97.40

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read    23 in 2025.  2026- 20 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 6,923 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Your worker bees are very lucky to have such a generous employer 😁

    It sounds like you have good plans to clear the debt and rebuild savings.

    Enjoy your meal.

    Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
    79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

    One
     income, home educating family 
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 4,973 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    How was your carvery meal @Keedie ?

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys September £97.40

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  441/2026
    Books read    23 in 2025.  2026- 20 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Keedie
    Keedie Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker

    The carvery was really good. My sister had a good time. But she refused to sit with the adults and so she sat on the other end of the long table with all the children and teenagers. I kinda overate (as you do), and so I felt a bit stuffed, but it was a good night.

    On Sunday, I went to the Apple Store as my MacBook wasn't charging properly. I was a bit apprehensive that it would cost money to fix it even though I have Apple Care. But the guy told me that it was dust built up over years of use, and I was making the situation worse by pushing the charger lead into the usb-c port. He said that all charger ports get dust in them, especially if you use them in your bed which I do, as I spend the majority of my time in my bed. Anyways, he used some little tweezer looking tool and remove the dust. He said that I'd compacted it really tightly in there by shoving the lead in, and pushing the lead against the wall to hold it in place 😬. Lesson learnt. He said to always blow into the charger port and the lead, and that will prevent any dust settling in there. So there's some free advice for everyone. He said, the same applies to charging phones too.

    My friend that owes me money, gave me £605 of the money that she owes me, which was great. I managed to put £120 into Stacking Cups, and so there is now £200 in that savings challenge and £50 in the back. And I put £285 into sinking funds and savings challenges. So that was £405 into debt, savings and sinking funds. I also set some money aside to get my hair done tomorrow at the hairdressers, which was £100. That's £70 for the hairdresser and £30 to buy the extensions. My eldest sister has a mobile hairdresser come to my mum's to do her hair, as she hates being in loud crowded spaces and would be overstimulated and on edge in a busy hairdressers. But that mobile lady wanted to charge me £95 for the same hairstyle, so in true MSE fashion, that was a hard nope. My nieces in East London sometimes travel to South London to get their hair done, and so I'm using their hairdresser as she's cheaper and I can see the quality of both of their work, on my sister and nieces, and the cheaper one is ironically the better one.

    I bumped into my friend the other day and was complaining about the cost and she told me that £95 was actually cheap and sometimes people are paying at least £150 or £180 depending on what they want to have done 😳😳😳. Yeah, that won't be me. I've usually done my own plaits and extensions, but the rotator cuff issue in my shoulder means that's not an option anymore and I need to get my hair done as I can't go to the funeral on Monday in yeti mode and need to get my hair sorted,

    I took my son's advice and put the last £100 aside for me to spend as I want. It's still sitting there, as I don't go anywhere or really do anything. But it's our birthdays soon, so I might get myself something or go out to eat or something. I'm admittedly very boring, and so I don't have an expensive lifestyle. But I may want to buy a book or something, so I won't spend it until I need it.

    I dunno what rock I've been living under, but I finally figured out what Amazon's subscribe & save is all about. I've put Silver's litter on a monthly subscription and it was a £0.94 cheaper for each bag, and considering a lot of stuff comes out of someone so small, it's clearly something that I need to buy, so I might as well save some money on it. She's 1 next month, so when she transitions to adult wet and dry food, I'll put them on a subscription as well. My ex-sister-in-law told me that if you have 4 items or something on subscription, you get a greater discount. So I've created a savings space in Starling for Silver's expenses and added a virtual card, so that the recurring charges are contained to one location. And this way, I don't have to think about what is needed, and I've added the money into my budget.

    Debt Free Diary:- The Mental Debt Struggle
    (Original Debt on 15/07/2016 was £33,056.76) 🙈 and, I was Debt Free on 09/02/2025 🎉 but life 🫣, so now I have a Debt Reset 🥴
    DEBT DEBT = £6,646.22 😬
    Bank of Mum:- Moped Insurance = £300/£1,800 (16.67% repaid) || Bookkeeping Course £750/£3,000 (25% repaid)
    The Tax Man:- Council Tax = £221.72/£221.72 (100% repaid 🎉) || Self Assessment = £1,624.50/£1,624.50 (100% repaid 🎉)
    Debt Debt Tracker = £2,896.22/£6,646.22 (43.57% repaid)
  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 305 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    welcome back Keedie!

    Good tip on the charger. That’s happened to my laptops a few times. I wonder if it’s because I use it in bed a lot!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.