We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Watch Martin Lewis Q&A with Rishi Sunak

Options

Comments

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You would think that this can be done in this time frame.

- In February the loan/not loan for October was announced.
    - On 1st of April there was a statement on the government website that they will be looking into the issue of park homes
    - On 31st of May this was updated to "we are looking into it"

Can't say I am really impressed with their speed. 4 months after the first announcement they have now started to look into the problem.
  • HeleninSussex
    Options
    Maybe if lots of us contact our MP and/or keep asking questions about this, it will make them get a move on...

Ever the optimist, me! :smile:

• Virgo19
    Virgo19 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
     it is unjust so I will battling on with it.
  • DimOAP
    DimOAP Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi
    This may have  wider application to those born after September 1955.
    In relation to the extra fuel help this winter announced by the government the qualifying date is stated to be if you are 66 by 20th September 2022.

The message then goes on to say that you  will receive this help if you qualify for the Winter Fuel payment. To qualify for that, according to the Gov website, is only if you were 66 by September 2021 NOT by September 2022.
    Is there a discrepancy between the existing rules for the Winter Fuel Allowance rules and the new help package rules?

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This has been already discussed.

The government website for winter fuel has not been updated yet and is still showing the details for the 2021/2022 winter, so it shows the birth dates valid for last year.
  • MrFrugalFever
    MrFrugalFever Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Whilst many people require the more urgent assistance in the current format suggested by Sunak, perhaps they could look at longer term solutions such as much better educational awareness of finance management!

Can’t remember the last time I required the use of a glockenspiel to resolve a financial dispute.
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £3,734.11 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 7 (total limit £32,500)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,059.06 (Payment 1/360)
    Debt = £1,068.00 (0%APR due 12/7/24, 27/10/24, 25/11/24)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • InLimboInLondon
    Options
    I don't know where else to post this, there's something that is being missed for us self-employed folk with the cost of living crisis.  

1) Universal Credit/Minimum Income Floor.

They brought this back, which I'm fine with.  However, due to the (fairly) recent rise in minimum wage, guess what, this means the minimum income floor rises too.  The Govt need to rethink how they calculate this, because at the moment, this means that every time they raise the minimum wage (which I do think they should do, to be clear, it's pitiful as it is), self-employed folk on Universal Credit are treated as magically earning that new amount (or whatever their equivalent MIF is), and therefore their benefits are reduced even if they don't make that new amount.  The MIF needs to be calculated in such a way that is fairer, or even better, get rid of it entirely.  I have to magically find an extra £100 a month, on a good month that's fine, not so much on a bad month, and I can't be the only one in that position.  I'm still building my business so hope to increase my revenue over time, so as not to need UC, but those who have a cap on what they can reasonably earn will always be in this situation.

2) The flat rate working from home tax relief.  

This is still £26 a month and has been for as long as I can remember.  Energy bills have increased exponentially, but there's no corresponding increase in the tax relief.  Why not? In fact, I have read that they are ending this in 2023 (although I think this is only for PAYE employees working from home, not self-employed but I am not sure).  HMRC need to look at this with a view to raising it in reflection of the increased energy costs.

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No one has to work from home any more.
    they might choose to individually or their employer might prefer they do, but it’s not government policy anymore - in fact Boris wants everyone back in the office so they spend £30bn on sandwiches and coffee.

so yes it’s more expensive but it’s not up to the government to set policy about where individuals or employers choose for people to work.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 5 June 2022 at 2:22PM
    Options
    I don't know where else to post this, there's something that is being missed for us self-employed folk with the cost of living crisis.  

1) Universal Credit/Minimum Income Floor.

They brought this back, which I'm fine with.  However, due to the (fairly) recent rise in minimum wage, guess what, this means the minimum income floor rises too.  The Govt need to rethink how they calculate this, because at the moment, this means that every time they raise the minimum wage (which I do think they should do, to be clear, it's pitiful as it is), self-employed folk on Universal Credit are treated as magically earning that new amount (or whatever their equivalent MIF is), and therefore their benefits are reduced even if they don't make that new amount.  The MIF needs to be calculated in such a way that is fairer, or even better, get rid of it entirely.  I have to magically find an extra £100 a month, on a good month that's fine, not so much on a bad month, and I can't be the only one in that position.  I'm still building my business so hope to increase my revenue over time, so as not to need UC, but those who have a cap on what they can reasonably earn will always be in this situation.

2) The flat rate working from home tax relief.  

This is still £26 a month and has been for as long as I can remember.  Energy bills have increased exponentially, but there's no corresponding increase in the tax relief.  Why not? In fact, I have read that they are ending this in 2023 (although I think this is only for PAYE employees working from home, not self-employed but I am not sure).  HMRC need to look at this with a view to raising it in reflection of the increased energy costs.

1) The point is that "those who have a cap on what they can reasonably earn" which is below the MIF/min wage shouldn't be subsidised by UC any more than if they got a min wage job instead. The reason for it was too many were doing what was effectively a hobby rather than genuine self employment intended to provide them with a reasonable income.
    2) They're not ending it in 2023, what they're ending is the "time-limited easement" where you can claim tax relief for the whole year even if you're only required to work from home for part of the year. But it's effectively ended already for PAYE employees who choose to work from home unless there's another lockdown, as it was only ever claimable if you were required to work from home (rather than if you choose to). See https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32790
    Also bear in mind those who work in an office are facing increased petrol/travel costs, which they've never been able to claim any tax relief on.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Where is Rishi sitting? Looks like he's in B&Q. 

He can BS Boris but Martin is in a different league and doesn't take it :) Thank god we have someone like Martin fighting our corner. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback