We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Watch Martin Lewis Q&A with Rishi Sunak

Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 27 May 2022 at 7:13PM
    Options
    I am on state pension only. I cannot get pension credit because my wife will not reach pension age thanks to a rule change, for another 4 years. Thus we have to live on my pension alone. DWP and my own MP confirm it. To me, we are a low income household. Will we get the £650?
    The criteria appears to be whether you're claiming means tested benefits. Have you looked into whether you're entitled? Use a calculator like https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk Even if you're only entitled to a very small amount it's worth claiming as it can passport onto other benefits such as this.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    . Let's be clear, the cost of living crisis was created by the Tory government and perpetuated by the energy crisis. The help given by this government is limited at a time when my gas bill has more than tripled in the autumn.
    errmmm... I think you'll find that it was more to with a global 2-yr pandemic, and the subsequent opening up of world economies in the aftermath of that which had more bearing on the COL than anything the government did directly (and no I'm not a tory)..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    GunJack said:
    . Let's be clear, the cost of living crisis was created by the Tory government and perpetuated by the energy crisis. The help given by this government is limited at a time when my gas bill has more than tripled in the autumn.
    errmmm... I think you'll find that it was more to with a global 2-yr pandemic, and the subsequent opening up of world economies in the aftermath of that which had more bearing on the COL than anything the government did directly (and no I'm not a tory)..
    Plus looking at the longer term picture, the biggest rise in the COL over the last few decades has been the cost of housing, and that increased by far the most under the last Labour govt, see https://www.allagents.co.uk/house-prices-adjusted/ plus council tax https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cdp-2021-0014/
    My kids could easily afford current energy bills, but they can't afford a house to get the bills!
  • Granny_P
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if my Mum, who lives in rented, supported accommodation is entitled to the £400 energy payment?  The housing association include a charge for heating and hot water within the rent she pays, but she pays her own electricity bill directly to the energy supplier.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Granny_P said:
    Can anyone tell me if my Mum, who lives in rented, supported accommodation is entitled to the £400 energy payment?  The housing association include a charge for heating and hot water within the rent she pays, but she pays her own electricity bill directly to the energy supplier.
    Yes, the £400 will be paid to all domestic electricity accounts

• Gracie21
    Options
    My  energy price has dropped.this month, Scottish power have decided as I'm in credit they have dropped my payments. In August I come off my fixed rate of £56, it goes up to £97 a month. I may wait to see what the variable rate is before I lock myself into another year. I must admit I was pleased I fixed the rate late year. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So everyone on UC will automatic receive help? How much?
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gracie21 said:
    My  energy price has dropped.this month, Scottish power have decided as I'm in credit they have dropped my payments. In August I come off my fixed rate of £56, it goes up to £97 a month. I may wait to see what the variable rate is before I lock myself into another year. I must admit I was pleased I fixed the rate late year. 
    Your energy price has not dropped, just your direct debit is lower. You might have used less energy and are billed less.
  • Virgo19
    Virgo19 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Goodmorning if you speak to Rishi Sunak again please can you ask him how the Park Home residents can claim the £400.00 engery grant when they pay for gas and electric through the management company running the estate and not direct through an energy supplier.
    Thank you
  • borderlord
    borderlord Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Virgo
    Further to your thought.
    In my park the electricity is indeed supplied by the park owner, but we pay for our gas separately from one of two suppliers.
    If the government were to change the wording to include gas suppliers as 'domestic energy suppliers' we could the obtain the rebate through them.
    Just a thought
    Jeff
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport