We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Watch Martin Lewis Q&A with Rishi Sunak

Options

Comments

• Undisputedtruth
    Options
    The cost of Sunak's energy bill help is about £5bn. All taken from the windfall tax on the UK energy companies. Yet the same Chancellor is looking to give a tax rebate of around £5bn in two years time when there's likely to be another general election.

Just to be clear on the cost of living. This Tory government has worsen the cost of living crising through cuts in the benefit system since 2010, stagnant gowth compared to the G7 countries barring Italy, Brexit, poor performing sterling and now high inflation.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Virgo
    Further to your thought.
    In my park the electricity is indeed supplied by the park owner, but we pay for our gas separately from one of two suppliers.
    If the government were to change the wording to include gas suppliers as 'domestic energy suppliers' we could the obtain the rebate through them.
    Just a thought
    Jeff

I am presuming you mean gas bottles, this is the normal I think for park homes not fixed gas supplies to each home.

Therefore your are not buying from an energy supplier for the money to travel to you through an energy account?
  • Virgo19
    Virgo19 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
     Good morning Jeff, yes but as they have said not everyone has gas but everyone has electricity so that would be the easiest way to do it, MSE have had many enquiries about this matter and are posing this question to the government thank goodness.
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Martin actually raised the issue of those on sub-meters with Sunak in his video Q&A, and it was more-or-less batted aside.
  • Virgo19
    Virgo19 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    thats why we have to get get as many people as possible fighting our corner, I have urged many people on this estate to write to our MP
  • HeleninSussex
    Options

Agree that we need to fight for this (although in my opinion we shouldn’t have to!) I’m a park home owner responsible for my own energy bills. I buy my own LPG direct from Calor, and have an individual meter for domestic electricity, for which I pay a bill every month (via the park owner). The property itself belongs to me, I pay a pitch fee for the land it stands on, and that fee does not include anything except the ground rent. I genuinely don’t understand why there is any dispute over whether this qualifies as a household eligible for the grant. Can anyone help me understand this please?

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 June 2022 at 11:59AM
    Options
    You don't have a domestic account with an energy supplier, which currently  is needed to receive the grant.

Most likely you have a sub meter which the park owner uses to charge you. Only the park owner will have an account with a energy supplier, even so most likely they will have a commercial supply and don't get the grant even for themselves.

In 2019 the estimate for UK was that there are 180000 park homes, and that will include holiday homes.

For 2020 the estimate is that the are 27.8 million households, so the 180000 park homes are just 0.65% of all households, deducting the holiday homes it will be less than 0.5%. 

So the government is missing 0.5% of the target group, but they don't have any administration cost by doing it through the energy accounts. Almost every other way would involve a lot of administration, cost and would take a long time.

I am not saying it s fair, and I hope that they are somehow will still sort it out for you, but I can understand why it is done this way. Investigating who should get the grant case by case would probably result in us only getting £300 in 2024, because it would cost that much and take that long to investigate.

And the official statement on the government site is that every domestic electricity account will receive the grant, there is nothing that everybody will receive it or that you can get it only once. The statements that everybody will get the grant seem to come more from the press, e.g. BBC.

• HeleninSussex
    Options
    Thank you Pochase for taking the trouble to explain this, it is clearer to me now (although still unfair to those of us in the 0.5%!)  Like most park home owners, I use mostly LPG as domestic fuel for my heating, cooking and hot water.  I do think it should be simple enough for the £400 to be credited to our accounts with the supplier (e.g. Calor) to be offset against future fuel purchases. Maybe Martin would be kind enough to suggest this if he speaks to Mr Sunak again?

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Again a lot of problems with this idea.

People in a residential park who use electricity to heat would still not get the money, while people who get already the £400 into their electricity account would get it a second time if they use LPG for heating.

Another group that is excluded are tenants in blocks of flats who get their energy through their land lord. And that is often both electricity and gas.

Electricity was chosen because almost everybody will use electricity. It would have made much more sense to split it between electricity and whatever is used for heating, but that would have been to complicated again, but leads to stupid situations where people will not use the £400 in the electricity account for a long time, but are lacking the money for gas if they are not on dual fuel with the same supplier. Or people on prepaid who get vouchers for electricity, but nothing for gas. 

On the other side it can't be that complicated to establish who the 100000 people in park homes are and to give them the money. There was a talk about additional funds for the people who are missing out anyway.
  • HeleninSussex
    Options
    As this grant won't be implemented until October (and then over a six month period) there's plenty of time to resolve issues for park home owners and other "anomalies" (such as the flat tenants mentioned by Pochase).  It can't be that difficult to issue credit/vouchers for purchasing either domestic gas OR electricity in such cases.  We all need to heat and cook (although sadly some people are currently unable to do both).  Penalising one section of the population (largely pensioners) in this way seems grossly unjust to me.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback