Where to focus - mortgage, renovations etc?

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    So pleased the scan went well. Good luck - all sounds really exciting!

Sorry you had covid. 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Received the next energy payment today so that's another £66 off the mortgage. I also found a set of hooks that look narrow enough to hang off our oddly shaped bathroom door. It's just a cheap MDF door we retained from the renovation as we new it would cost a bomb and be difficult to source another door with a big corner lopped off it for the roof. I've been looking for some hooks to add to it to hang towels etc. but it's been tricky because it's not easy to drill into those doors (and I'm sick of continually seeming to buy the wrong rawl plugs!). A nice inexpensive over the door hook will work wonders I think. 

Choir tonight - haven't been in a while due to travel, covid and just generally feeling exhausted. I've pulled out of the performance in two weeks as they like you to be 'off book' and I haven't even sung half the songs before. Next time hopefully. 

Second scan is tomorrow - the 'peace of mind' one. I'm not sure you ever get peace of mind fully do you? Given the next hurdle will be the 12 week scan etc. I'm trying not to notice all the stories about the deaths and life altering injuries to mothers and babies (and the cover ups!) that we currently have due to poor resourcing of our maternity services. Doesn't seem to be much I can do but hope we're in good hands and all goes well. 

Haven't heard from OH for a while. I missed him hugely when I was ill and the dog is definitely missing him. He's becoming a bit clingy and has seemed a bit stressed with things he'd usually take in his stride. It's hard not to make a dog dependent on you when you're the only one about most of the time though. 
  • savingholmes
    I think there are always loads of pregnancy scare stories. I think though if you focus on the billions of people on the planet - including areas that are less well served health wise than here - it might ease your mind. I think as a mother to be its natural to worry and have lots of what if scenarios in your head. I found those books that tell you what's due to happen week by week very helpful for focusing on the positive. So at x weeks your baby is the size of a strawberry and then a kiwi and so on... Later on it's good to go to pre-natal classes with a midwife or the national childbirth trust - meet other pregnant mum's and sort out your birth plan.
    3) CC £3.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • @savingholmes You are completely right. I signed up to a weekly NCT update and that has been nice, and I'll definitely be signing up to the prenatal classes as well. I already had a look and there are some on a weekend which is such a relief - as long as he's not deployed OH will be able to come too! 
  • savingholmes
    Glad you found NCT 
  • Nothing much money wise to say, but the peace of mind scan went well. Baby measured 9 weeks exactly, as it should. It was all curled up and difficult to see, but they pointed out a hand and I think I could see it.  :D

Comms with my partner have been dreadful. I can see he's been able to read my message about the scan, but his attempts to call have failed as I can't hear him. Still, he'll be home 3 weeks on Friday hopefully. 

Managed to lose my activity tracker somehow, I think at the clinic. That is a bit galling as it was pretty expensive. I shan't be replacing it any time soon. 

Tbh I didn't sleep well and today I'm tried and feel pretty sick. I thought the worst of the sickness was behind me but I think that was naïve. I have to drive up to Yorkshire this evening too. Sigh. I am looking forward to being able to tell work, so I can explain why at the moment I'm not operating at my best. I'm currently still blaming COVID. 
  • savingholmes
    Sorry about the tracker - can you ring and ask about it?

Good news on the scan result. 

Good luck with the journey. Hope you manage to get a good rest tonight.
  • Tracker is lost forever sadly, all attempts to find it have failed. 

Managed to get £57 from QMEE so this was paid off the mortgage this morning. That's £123 extra this month. 

Had my first midwife appointment last week. Was mostly paperwork, but the midwife was lovely and only mentioned my age 4 times  :D. Ha, like I also would have really loved to have children earlier but life is life and we are where we are!  :disappointed:

Still struggling to stay in touch with OH - the comms are so bad, the calls rarely manage to connect and often drop after 10 mins, but it's less than two weeks until he's home now. Can't wait to have him back! 

12 week scan is tomorrow. Feeling positive. Hopefully it's all ok. 

I'm just getting over tonsillitis. Haven't been ill in almost 4 years and I get COVID and tonsillitis back to back. I suspect I didn't manage to fully shake the COVID, probably because of the pregnancy and the fact OH is away meaning it just wasn't possible to fully rest, between work, dog, house etc. I've got antibiotics now, which are taking a while to kick in but this morning I actually felt semi-human and realise it's the first time I have since I got COVID. Just a bit longer to go and then OH will be here to help. I'll have a nice long Xmas break, be over the first trimester. 
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Great that you're feeling a bit better, and OH will soon be home.  Sending (((hugs))) and good wishes for the 12 week scan.  XXXX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • savingholmes
    Hope the scan goes well. Glad your OH is due home soon too. 

Get well soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure