Where to focus - mortgage, renovations etc?

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hope the choir is social and uplifting. Sounds fun.

Glad you have a friend who can help out with diy. We only get better by trying...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Heating engineer came. H1ve installed, but he discovered a serious floor in the installation of our hot water tank, in that it had no temperature control on it! He came back this morning to fix that, no charge. What great service and another reason not to go back to the previous company! Thermostatic valves are mostly in, but 2 radiators aren't compatible and will need new valves. Have contacted someone the installer recommended so fingers crossed that isn't a drama. 

Ceiling rose also got sorted at the weekend (not by me. Never touching it again) plus I and some friends have managed to cut all of the skirting for the loft. We glued some bits already, but the rest I will likely do next weekend. I got the order just right - both rooms covered and no wastage. I'm awaiting the delivery of the architrave which was supposed to come last week and is now coming this week, which is great because I'm not home Wednesday - Friday. I guess it will get left in the rain. 

Unfortunately the Queen's funeral means a meeting I was down to attend has now been moved out 3 days. I don't get travel covered etc. so I will lose money on my non-refundable room. Had a word with my boss though and he's happy for me to put the new room on the company card this time. 

Today was supposed to be the day that our shower screen was installed. However, the poor fitters got all the way upstairs and discovered... it doesn't fit! They've got the angles wrong on their template and it is really far out. Luckily that's on them as they came out and measured themselves, so for me it's just disappointing (it's the last major thing to be done in the loft). I am hugely relieved that they have to cover the costs of that as it's a very expensive piece of glass. I do feel bad for them though given things are tough for businesses right now and this is a small local firm. They rang this afternoon to ask if they could bring the new template they've made and just triple checked it fits which is a very good idea so that was an immediate yes from me. 

Nothing paid mortgage wise. I've got about £10 in my PayPal now from QMEE surveys but they want to charge a fair bit for sending it to my current account. Does anyone know if there is a way around that at all, or do I just have to suck that up? I guess it's extra money, but I think it's about £1.30 or something which seems a bit steep. I guess I could wait until I've built up more. 
  • Should also say Choir was lovely. They've put me in the soprano's, not because I am one but because they need more and 'you'll get used to the high notes with practice'. They were very friendly and having a good old sing was really uplifting. I'll definitely be going again, although I'll have to miss this week. I do have to pay fees, but it's not loads of money and will be good for me whilst OH is away. 
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Glad the choir went well. 

The house renovations sound like they're nearly done for now? Good luck with getting the shower screen sorted. Sounds like they are being professional over sorting it which is good.
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • Got paid today. Have set aside money for my emergency fund, and all bills etc. I tend to make sure they are all covered, and then put aside more savings once OH gets paid at the end of the month and he's sent his bills money to the joint account. Just to be on the safe side in case something goes wrong. 

Shower people came again today to fit the new shower screen, and again it doesn't fit. Different piece of glass this time, although also the curved ceiling isn't 'straight' down the incline, so there are some fairly big gaps. They tell me it will look nice once sealed - hope so for what it's costing but I guess we'll see. So, two bits are in, but the 3rd will be up to 10 days as they'll need to get it remade. Sometimes I think this loft renovation will never, ever end. 

Nothing special to report on mortgage payments. OH is away earning his deployment pay and it seems as though he's not enjoying it. I think the joy may have gone for him. He recently took a career extension instead of leaving at his 22 years. He had a plan for leaving, but it is a scary thing and so he changed his mind last minute. I think he's starting to think he may leave after all, which will definitely impact our finances, though tbh I would rather he was home. 

I used to travel 400 miles per week for my job but switched to home working when the pandemic hit. I've just spent 3 weeks going back and forth again and tbh - I'm exhausted! I don't know how I did it. No more travel for a few weeks now. I got home at 9am this morning and I'm knackered, which is probs why I'm a little bit grumpy about the shower. Given it's payday I may treat myself to a take-away tonight. I've cut back on those a lot in recent months, but I can't face cooking tonight. Not least cos having been away so much, I don't have anything in!! 

Have a good weekend all. 

• Hope you manage to rest this weekend 
  • Third time lucky for the shower screen this week. They tell me the new piece has been rushed through and they'll be fitting it Thursday evening. I've told them as long as they are done before I have to go to choir that's fine by me. Fingers crossed it fits this time. 

OH managed to give me a call last night. Haven't heard from him in a while cos the comms haven't been very reliable. He's definitely decided his military career is over. He's not enjoying this deployment at all it seems. Scary times to be dropping a salary but we both agree it's for the best longer term. We'll discuss the timing once this deployment is over. We're thinking he'll put his notice in January or May and then he'll be in his 1 year notice period. Timing may be impacted on what happens in the next couple of weeks. Tomorrow is our 2nd attempt with one of our frozen embryos so fingers crossed for round two! 

I worked out how to transfer money out of PayPal with no fees. Actually very easy - feel a bit dumb it took me so long to work it out. Google was my friend. So I transferred £10 of my QMEE money and have this morning paid that off the mortgage. Pretty terrified about the mortgage right now. I've got several friends already looking at fairly unpalatable rate hikes. We've still got 4 years to get ours down, but with a drop in income and hopefully a baby, we're gonna be in a very different situation to now. 

Sorry to get political, but what they've done with this budget is a disgrace and very scary. Even if trickle down economics worked people need help now, not for scraps to trickle down. Instead they are actively making things worse whilst making the rich richer. I'm one of the better off generally, but even I'm poorer under this budget. Given we'll soon have more cuts to public services, nothing is going to trickle down. I'm going to save every penny I can and pay down our mortgage as fast as possible. I think most with any surplus will do similar. With costs spiralling, businesses are going to be careful if/when they invest and are more likely to cut costs first. I know mine is. How they can look themselves in the mirror I've no idea. 
  • Sorry your partner isn't enjoying his deployment. I bet you'll be glad to have him home though. The money side will sort I'm sure... 

Best of luck with the baby planning side of things too.
  • Hopefully between the singing (very good for stress relief as long as you don't hit a wrong note very loudly ;) ), having done some great OPs already and having 4 more years on your  fix your IVF will go well next time.
    Sounds like you are luckily on a plan already to weather these storms and probably very glad you hadn't started some huge renovation project.

I am with you on the budget -  it's a disgrace and the financial markets are understandably freaked. All the banks are pulling their mortgage offers, this has caused chaos especially when I gather something like over 300k people come out of their fix each quarter, and businesses indeed will be spending less whilst utility and other bills go up. Such uncertainly isn't good for the job market or small businesses and Truss/Kwarteng are scared to make a statement!
    I am a HR tax payer and I don't know any HR or HHR taxpayers who think this budget is a good idea. 
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • shellstar
    shellstar Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @LadyWithAPlan I totally agree. I see he's done a U-turn this morning (which is fine by me, I get the politics but he should have done that much, much earlier). I was hearing some analysis that people were missing the point and the good his 'supply side reforms' would have, but not a single person touting that line actually explained what those reforms were, or why they are good. What they've done to mortgages (totally wiping out any good from the energy support) is incompetence. Not to mention investments, pensions etc. I get it's not all about the mini-budget, but it didn't help one jot, and actively made it worse. Truss's poor showing to explain herself was just terrible as well. 

Shower is in! Looks amazing, used it this morning - lovely. So other than some filler, some architrave and a bit of gloss paint on the skirting, it's all done! Hurrah! 10 month slog that was. There are still tons of tools up there, but I'm currently waiting to see if the most recent round of IVF has worked (fingers crossed) and in that time I'm supposed to eat well, stay hydrated, minimise stress, not over exert myself, no heavy lifting, take my medication etc. etc. So it's a balance between minimising stress by having a nice clear/clean bedroom, and not lifting heavy things/over exerting myself (it's 2 flights of stairs to carry it all down and it won't be one trip). I've opted for the not over exerting. I'm sure I can get a friend to help me out next time someone visits, and after I know the results. Good thing is that barring something breaking/general maintenance (touch wood, absolutely shouldn't be saying that out loud, let alone in writing), we can now stop spending money on the house for a bit and concentrate on the IVF/mortgage. If OH is now planning to leave the military, we'll need to get that down a fair bit before we renew, as he isn't likely to have anywhere near the same income by then, and hopefully we'll have a child draining our resources. :)

Haven't heard from OH for a while, but got a text today to say they'd gone dark (they do that sometimes). Says he'll try to call tonight so that will be lovely. I am missing him at the moment for sure. Would be nice to have someone to carry all that stuff done, finish the architrave and walk the dog occasionally! He's also ok company too. :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback