Where to focus - mortgage, renovations etc?

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    British Gas is offering people who moved from other suppliers who went bust a fixed rate - have to sign up before the end of June. They should have had an email. Might be worth checking into
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • shellstar
    shellstar Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll get my mum to recheck their benefits powerspowers. I'd be surprised if they aren't claiming all they are entitled to as before retirement my mum worked in the job centre, but things change and mum isn't always proactive. I've told her to look at the new advice on fixing and contact British Gas but she still hasn't. Unfortunately she suffers depression and so she sometimes needs a bit of hand holding. I'll give her a call in the week. 
  • shellstar
    On the plus side, I have this week off work and am attempting to lay a new wood floor. My partner got me started off yesterday, so far to good. Fitting it ourselves is saving a lot of money.

We also had another chat about priorities, and we're scaling back our ambitions for the house. We had visions of a lovely open plan extension but right now we'll go back to the original plan of just getting a new kitchen in 3-4 years instead. We'll chuck everything else at the mortgage. 
  • shellstar
    edited 27 June 2022 at 4:10PM
    I had to stop laying the floor when I hit the vanity in the ensuite. I couldn't move it by myself but once my partner came home at the weekend, he got it shifted and we finished the floor together. So that's a major step forward. 

This week I need to chase up the tiles for the shower - we ordered them 3 months ago and they still aren't in. They are just bog standard tiles but it's the usual supply issues at the moment. 

I start fertility treatment next month so that is both exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. If you haven't been through it, it's really hard to understand the roller coaster of emotions you go through and the sheer stress of it all, and we haven't even begun, plus we're fortunate to have been able to go private. 

Before we knew when we could start treatment, we also booked a holiday to Marrakech. We got a deal on BA.com - flying from Gatwick. Could be a nightmare at the airport, but we've never been abroad together in the 4 years we've been together, so we decided to go for it. We usually just go camping, so it will be nice to actually get away somewhere new. My partner will deploy end of August and I won't see him again until Xmas, so we thought it was important. I've been researching the best way to do travel money these days, as this will be my first time abroad since the pandemic. I've decided to follow the advice on this site and open a Starling account, which seems like a really easy way to do this cost effectively. 

Dishwasher went on the blink last week too. Repairman says it's not worth repairing sadly. Once I finally get the bonus I'm due, we can sort out a lot of this. New oven and dishwasher (basic ones, as we hopefully will do the kitchen within the next 5 years) and holiday. I will pay off some of the credit card (which is 0% until Feb 2024, but I hate having to pay things off, so might use some of the bonus to get it down to a smaller amount so I don't resent it so much). Then I'll split whatever remains between the renovations budget and put the rest on the mortgage, 60/40 split to the mortgage. 
  • savingholmes
    Holiday plans sound lovely. 

Good luck with the fertility treatment.
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • shellstar
    I've been told I'll get my bonus on the 22nd so am looking forward to being able to make my first big mortgage overpayment. Not too sure how much will be siphoned to my pension and then taxed to the high seas, so only have a rough idea of how much might be available. 

We've finished the tiling and just need to grout now. However, it's quick drying grout and apparently we shouldn't grout in high temperatures so not sure we'll be able to do that this weekend unless we get up mega early. 

Had some unexpected expenses too (boo). Managed to get a flat tyre, so that cost £140 for a new one, and unfortunately the dog has developed a suspicious lump on his jaw, so we're taking him to the vet tomorrow. He's insured, but hopefully it is nothing serious or costly. 

He's a rescue and we've had him 9 months. He's a bit noise sensitive (great when you want all the windows open to catch any chance of a breeze) but I'm hoping he will get better over time. He's definitely better than he was, but he can be a total drama queen if he hears one of the neighbours loudly close a door (any door, in their house, front door or car. Hates doors slamming if they are outside the house. We'll never know why).  He did have terrible separation anxiety, but I've slowly been training him and this week, after 9 months and almost daily training with more than a few disheartening set backs, he actually managed two hours on his own! He really started cracking it about 4 weeks ago, something just clicked for him and he's much calmer. It's an amazing achievement and I'm very proud of him. Given my partner works away so much, it really is a god send to be able to go out again. I celebrated by getting tickets for my Mum and I to the local open air theatre show on my birthday which is coming up (£30 for both). Now he can be left, we can go! :smiley:
  • Hi Shellstar, you have such a lot going on! Lots of things to juggle and balance, we have rescue dogs too, they are worth all the heartbreak, amazing effort from both of you about separation anxiety, you have done an amazing job of helping him feel safe! Best of luck with IVF, I have everything crossed for you!
  • savingholmes
    Glad your dog is settling down. Plays in the park sound lovely. I have been wondering about booking one myself.
  • shellstar
    The lump turned out to be a grass seed he'd managed to get embedded. They got it out and gave him some antibiotics so he's doing much better now. Last night I was able to leave him to go swimming. It was so nice to be able to leave him guilt free and I really enjoyed the swim. Busier than I thought. It's a local charitable enterprise so it's really pretty good value. It's £40 per month for unlimited gym, swimming and classes. Can be cancelled any time and I feel good about it as I really got out of any proper fitness regime during lock down. I need to go 3 times a week for it to be cost effective and I think that would be a good way to do something productive as we continue our training. Not money saving, but better than popping to the pub (especially as I can't drink atm) or just sitting in my car like I was doing. I think it will be good for IVF chances (as long as I take it easy immediately after transfer). Also, given I'd be a 'geriatric mother', I think keeping fit and strong will hopefully help with the pregnancy and keeping up the little one, if it happens. Had my scan yesterday - everything looking good. Egg collection Wednesday. Eek! 

Open air theatre is this Saturday. Mum is bringing a picnic.  :)

Also, partners deployment might be pushed back a few months. It's mighty annoying when they gear you up for something and then change plans last minute, but at least this time it's for a potentially shorter trip, not suddenly making it 9 months instead of 4, like last time! One down side is he'll get less deployment pay and we won't save all that money on feeding him etc. but I'd rather he was here than have the money for the mortgage, if given the option. 
  • savingholmes
    Good luck with egg retrieval. Hope the deployment timeframe times well for your IVF plans too.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback