Where to focus - mortgage, renovations etc?

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I am glad you've heard from him and he's okay. 

Good news on the shower.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • shellstar
    shellstar Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2022 at 11:45AM
    Some really good news - the treatment has worked this time and I am now pregnant! Incredibly early days and next steps is to determine if the pregnancy in viable at a scan at the end of the month. At that point, if it is, I'll be transferred over to the NHS. So, a bit more of a wait but I feel happy and positive. I have also been able to have a 5 minute conversation with my partner where I was able to let him know. He's over the moon, and obviously now this cements the plan to leave!

So this morning I used the energy rebate thingy of £66 that we received to chip another bit off the mortgage. It's clear we need to really prep now for not just increased costs of a baby, but a significant loss of income on my partners side. I'm over the moon about both! In that 5 minute convo we discussed using this time to try and get used to one income, and perhaps then being able to save up all or most of this income as another lump sum off the mortgage, or as a safety net/to pay for the baby things etc. Not sure how to do that, as our salaries go into our own account and we then just transfer the bills money across to the join account. I think it's important we work out something though - we've both always been financially independent people, so it might be better to iron out the kinks before a baby (hopefully) arrives. 

So for now, I'm just drinking water, taking the medication, trying not to over do it (though work seem to be wanting to send me on a stress ride most days, and I've had some travel which has been tiring - one more trip next week unfortunately). Fingers crossed for the scan. I will do my best not to think about it too much, but I have a friend who is also having IVF and she has just had a miscarriage just before the viability scan, so I'm not counting chickens. 
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ooh, very-low-key congratulations to you both. Hope all goes well at the scan, then it can be a proper full-blown congratulations 🤞!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • Hi Shellstar, I have just found your diary and what a lovely point end on :) congratulations. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck with your house renovations. We have just spent the last 4 years renovating our house - We still have a few rooms to plaster but currently it's taken about £65k for a 3 bed semi!! 

Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Wow - I am so thrilled for you. Really hope it works out. So pleased you managed to speak to your partner too - not easy when he's deployed. 

Good you are making financial plans too.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That’s exciting news!! All the best for the viability scan xx
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that everything goes well.   (((hugs))) XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Wonderful news! Had the scan yesterday and there is a baby, in the right place, with a heartbeat! So relieved and over the moon. I cried! :smile: The clinic want to do another scan a week Friday (for peace of mind, which actually made me more nervous tbh) and I've contacted my doctors and have my first midwife appointment on the 16th. No date for the 12 week scan yet. I'm currently 7 weeks and 4 days. OH managed to call me whilst I was in the scan, but efforts to facetime failed. Still, he's pleased as punch and he's going to try and call again in the next couple of days. 

So, we're in major saving mode now. As long as everything continues to go well, it should be a little while before I need to buy any maternity clothes or baby things. My favourite jeans ripped yesterday, but I figure there is no point buying news ones at this point so I'll patch them up and wait until I need to get maternity clothes. I'm not really sure what to budget for all of this, but I figure a lot of it is also how much you want to spend. 

On the mortgage front, work gave us a bonus for loyalty post sale. This will be the last of my extra money now. So I've put some aside for baby and maternity clothes, plus everything I need for Xmas. We're not hosting this year, so that will save some pennies. We just buy gifts for my mum, brother and my mum's friend who spends Christmas with us. On my partner's side, it's a much bigger family, so we'll just get gifts for his mum and stepdad who will be hosting us. I also get gifts for the children of my two best friends. There are 5 in total, ages 13 - 3. Usually just small things, like a nice t-shirt or a small toy. So I'm able to put an extra £1,000 towards the mortgage this month. This means we've over paid £1,436 so far in year 2 of the mortgage. Our target is to pay £12k (mortgage year running Sept - Aug). 

So all in all, it's all very good right now, and we're making the most of that by paying down as much as we can before baby hopefully comes and OH leaves his job. 
  • Oh, in my super excitement at the success of the scan, I forgot to mention that on that final work trip I caught Covid for the first time. Really laid me low, and I didn't test negative until day 13, which was Sunday! I can also confirm that the combo of Covid and morning sickness is pretty horrific. Also so relieved it doesn't appear to have harmed the baby, as it does increase the chances of miscarriage. I tried not to think about that, given there wasn't anything I could do once I caught it.

Am now much on the mend, able to walk the dog again, even if I can't go quite as far as he'd like yet and am getting better at managing the sickness too. Snacks are key! Little and often is now my watch word! I'm back at work this week, although I suspect there will be a day or two where I'll need to log off early. If I get really tired, I start to feel like I have the flu again. 

Stay safe folks, that there Covid bug is nasty!
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    So pleased for you.  Sending every good wish your way.  XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport