should there be any compensation?

Options

Comments

• jobgypsy
    jobgypsy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We spent our much awaited holiday washing our underwear and tops in hotel sinks trying to get them dry as the companies concerned kept telling us we would receive the cases tomorrow, tomorrow always tomorrow.  It is making me cry just remembering this.  The humiliation of having to wear the same clothes everyday when our fellow travellers were dressing up for dinner etc and there was me and my husband in the clothes we travelled in.  This was an 80th birthday treat that will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.
  • Upsidedownandaround
    Options
    I think you should put in a complaint with both the luggage carrier and the travel company detailing how this affected your holiday and see what they say.

It sounds ridiculous that a domestic carrier has an issue with aftershave and deodorant being carried.
  • jobgypsy
    Options
    I think that's the problem not knowing who to get in touch with - the travel company who we booked the holiday with and who promoted the carrier on its paperwork or the carrier.  thank you for your advice
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you made a seperate contract with the luggage carrier ie contacted them and agreed to use their services, then thats who to deal with.
    Also inform the travel company that the luggage movers they recommended did not deliver and spoiled a special trip.
    If the luggage moving was included in your rail tour then it is them.
    But as I mentioned, does it state what cannot be in the cases in their Terms & Conditions?
    It is important to know if you broke their stated rules or you weren't to know - their fault.
    It's still not acceptable that they didn't deliver the service you paid for.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Who were the tour company and who were the logistics company, that way people on here could read the t and c
  • jobgypsy
    Options
    Thank you all for responses.  I wont name and shame yet but obviously we are aware we did pack deodrants, aftershave and Vicks vapour rub - all of which were not allowed.  But the luggage company did phone me up to tell me these items should not have been packed so we asked if they could open the cases, remove whatever they needed to and then send luggage on its way to us which they agreed - and did do as we finally got cases home with no locks.  So allowing for us packing stuff we should not have - not intentionally - but the cases should then have come to us even if we lost a day or 2 that would have been tolerable.  We came back on Monday 9th and the cases arrived at our door same day about 2 hours later.  We felt almost that they had been sitting outside waiting for us to return.  The labels said Newcastle - Newcastle so it looks like they never left  the home depot at any point.  I have written to the travel company (Great rail journeys) as they state they are responsible if the company they promote or advertise on their literature has not delivered a service as I think it needs to be address by them.  I have daily records of phone calls i made to them and emails  also the tour guide (their employee) made reports and sent emails phoned everyday and no-one helped except to keep saying cases would be with us the next day.  So upsetting as we will never repeat this journey and it was supposed to be a special event where everything was taken care of.  Can only hope they consider they did not deliver.  
  • Upsidedownandaround
    Options
    jobgypsy said:
    Thank you all for responses.  I wont name and shame yet but obviously we are aware we did pack deodrants, aftershave and Vicks vapour rub - all of which were not allowed.  But the luggage company did phone me up to tell me these items should not have been packed so we asked if they could open the cases, remove whatever they needed to and then send luggage on its way to us which they agreed - and did do as we finally got cases home with no locks.  So allowing for us packing stuff we should not have - not intentionally - but the cases should then have come to us even if we lost a day or 2 that would have been tolerable.  We came back on Monday 9th and the cases arrived at our door same day about 2 hours later.  We felt almost that they had been sitting outside waiting for us to return.  The labels said Newcastle - Newcastle so it looks like they never left  the home depot at any point.  I have written to the travel company (Great rail journeys) as they state they are responsible if the company they promote or advertise on their literature has not delivered a service as I think it needs to be address by them.  I have daily records of phone calls i made to them and emails  also the tour guide (their employee) made reports and sent emails phoned everyday and no-one helped except to keep saying cases would be with us the next day.  So upsetting as we will never repeat this journey and it was supposed to be a special event where everything was taken care of.  Can only hope they consider they did not deliver.  

I appreciate you may not want to "name and shame" them but there's very little more people can help you with if you're not willing to say who the companies are so that people can establish what the terms and conditions are and the relationship between the two of the companies and whether you are entitled to any compensation and who from.

• jobgypsy
    Options
    Great Rail Journeys

• jobgypsy
    Options
    So a fairly large 'reputable' company - I would have thought and not cheap.

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great Rail Journey's state that aerosols and aftershave cannot be sent in their luggage delivery service.

Our Luggage Transfer Service (greatrail.com)

Under the restricted items drop down
    "Dangerous / hazardous goods (including but not limited to perfumes, aftershaves, aerosols, flammable substances, loose lithium batteries, dry ice, biological substances, UN classified dangerous goods and any goods specified as such under International Air Transport Association regulations ("IATA"), the Agreement on Dangerous Goods by Road ("ADR") or International Maritime Dangerous Goods ("IMDG") regulations."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback